Patient Comments: Concussion - Cause

What was the cause of your concussion?

Comment from: Sharon38, 55-64 Female Published: July 26

I was hit by a small, flying rock to the middle of my forehead from a garden tractor. I held ice on it for 20 minutes, yet started feeling hot/cold and the headache seemed to increase in definition. Woke up feeling a somewhat upset stomach. I took Pepto-Bismol and an antacid. I went to work, came home, and slept for several hours. I woke up feeling better, ate supper, yet still experienced some headache to the right forehead, down my nose, and over to my right ear.

Comment from: susie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I fell down the basement stairs and put my head through a wall, both sides of the sheetrock. I blacked out for a bit, the next thing I knew my husband was asking me should he call the ambulance. I have a huge bruise over my left eye to my forehead, black eye, fat lip, scrapes above the right eye. I did this a week ago, still have a black eye and a pounding headache. My hair hurts...my head also pounds from my left ear to the top of my head. I was VERY lucky though.

Comment from: Unknown, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 23

I surfed the crowd at a concert under the influence of alcohol and was eventually dropped after 2 minutes of surfing the crowd on my head. I remember feeling nauseous and disoriented immediately afterwards. I had headache symptoms and slower motor skills for a few days after. Symptoms lasted for about a month to a month and a half, progressively getting better.

Comment from: marap, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 19

I normally drive myself from home to soccer game or practice and back, and one day I played for 45 minutes and the second 45minutes I couldn't remember anything. I just heard my coach saying he's driving me back home since i fainted. I was having severe headaches and the following day I went to hospital and was seen by a neurosurgeon and he diagnosed me with brain concussion and I want to back to play soccer but I don't know when I can go start playing again.

Comment from: Cherilou60, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I recently had a fall in the parking lot going into work. I remember going down but don't remember landing and have dreamlike bits of memory about transport and hospital visit. Six weeks later I continue to have occasional nausea and daily headaches most of which are barely tolerable.

Comment from: Elizabeth, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I was on a zip-line tour in Hawaii. We were driving in their 6 wheel drive 2 1/2 miles up the side of a remote mountain near Havi. It was a rough ride and just as we were getting near the top, the engine stalled and the car started to roll backwards. Both brakes failed, and we rolled down the mountain, gaining speed, until the car hit an embankment. The car flipped and rolled. My mom was thrown from the car, my niece's left hand was crushed and, at the time, I thought I was fine. I ran 2 miles down the mountain with 2 cell phones trying to get a signal and finally reached 911. I asked for a helicopter for my niece and within a short time, one flew in. It wasn't until I got to the hospital that I realized I had a huge bump on my head. The headache was minor at the hospital, but the next day, I couldn't move. It's two months later and none of my post concussive symptoms have improved--except my brain is a little less foggy and my post-traumatic symptoms have improved enormously. I'm just wondering when I'll feel back to my old self.

Comment from: Fastpitch, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 15

My son went into a store and when he came out, his friend was getting beat up. He ran to help and fought off 3 guys and the 4th hit him in the back of his head with possibly a bat or tire iron.

Comment from: KingGrady, 19-24 Male Published: April 11

1st concussion when I grabbed a basketball rim and then slipped on the wet floor hitting back of my head (age 14) 2nd concussion when I was in amateur boxing, my first fight they put me in with someone who had 10 fights (age 18) 3rd concussion April 2nd, 2011 when I had my golden glove regional championship semi-finals...took a head butt in round 3, still got up to win the fight (age 24). I hope I don't get number 4...lol.

Concussion - Symptoms Question: What were your concussion symptoms?
Concussion - Treatments Question: What were your treatments of concussion?