Patient Comments: Concussion - Cause

What was the cause of your concussion?

Comment from: CS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

My husband and I were rear-ended by another vehicle. Both of us were wearing seat belts at the time, but for some reason, my head did a forward flip-flop motion, hitting the headrest (my husband noticed out of the corner of his eye). I don't remember anything after that until I was on my way to the hospital. It was very strange, if you ask me; almost dream-like. Something like this has never happened to me before in my life and I am 52 years old. A CT scan was done. I was told I had a slight concussion and brain amnesia. My husband did not have any injuries at all.

Comment from: Joanne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I slipped on floor and fell hard hitting the back of my head against the corner of the wall. It cut it badly and it bled quite a bit.

Comment from: cawlm, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I fell on a tile floor 6 days ago, hitting my left forehead just above the outer edge of the eyebrow. I hit so hard my head bounced back after impact. I have a huge goose egg and deep bruising around the eye, above the eyebrow and on the temple. I have dizziness/balance issues anyway, along with chronic headache and neck pain. I don't know if I have concussion, but it does concern me that it felt like my brain was shaken.

Comment from: Frankie71, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

Five weeks ago I hit my head hard on a shelf. No bump, no dizziness, no vomiting, no loss of consciousness. Two days later, it was pain, fatigue and fogginess. CT was negative. Other symptoms are much less now but I still have a periodic and almost stinging pain in the exact place where I hit my head. It is aggravated when I sweat. If doesn't improve in 3 weeks, I'll call my doctor.

Comment from: Lil Mely, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I was longboarding without a helmet down a huge hill when I got the speed wobbles and pretty much just ate it. I fell off the longboard going really fast and got a mild concussion. I threw up immediately when I arrived in the ER. I was out of school and off of work for about a week and a half. Heaving lifting, too much exercise, and drinking alcohol all hurt my head a little still.

Comment from: door stop, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

I had a wood garage door shut on the top of my head. It busted my head open. I blacked out for a few seconds and walked around with blood on my head not realizing I was hurt. For about a week I was still feeling really tired and like I was in a fog.

Comment from: concerned Mom, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 26

My 12 year old son had a severe concussion while wrestling last year. When he came home he could hardly say a word then, I realized something was wrong with him. We took him to the ER right away and had an MRI done which confirmed it was a concussion. He did not return to wrestling until after several weeks of follow-up check-ups and was cleared by the Sports Medicine Doctor referred to us by his pediatrician. But before that happened he was diagnosed with migraine. Aside from wrestling, he also plays soccer and football. Now my concern is that he has been having headaches almost every day. I want to know if this is the after effect of the concussion or something else?

Comment from: Lotta Payne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

The cause of my concussion was from a horseback riding injury. While galloping in some mountains, my horse was kicked by another and spun sideways. I fell off, and the back of my head either hit the ground first, or the horse's hoof accidentally stuck the back of my head at the base of my skull. I don't remember how I fell, just that my head hurt a lot. I fell from a height of about four to five feet.

Concussion - Symptoms Question: What were your concussion symptoms?
Concussion - Treatments Question: What were your treatments of concussion?