Patient Comments: Brain Cancer - Experience

Please describe your experience with brain cancer.

Comment from: Cable1guy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 02

I had/have lung cancer but treatment chemotherapy/radiation was very successful. I experienced momentary weakness in my left hand on two occasions. Turns out the cancer moved into my brain; 1.5cm lesion. Next week I will have stereotactic radiosurgery to treat the threat. Frustrating setback, but feeling good about the procedure and my future. I probably won't be free of this forever, but one day at a time.

Comment from: itspine, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 23

I am a man of 66 soon to be 67. I was diagnosed with stage IV glioblastoma on May 15, 2013. My doctors while once quite concerned pretty much said their good-byes and sent me home. I'm not sure which doctor, maybe my surgeon, got me into a clinical study in UCSF and I'm doing well. Now, first of all my tumor was small, brought to light because of a seizure, no other cancer was found in my body. The seizure dropped me to the floor and caused me to pass out, sending me to the emergency room. At first they couldn't find anything then, there it was. I've had five MRIs in the past 8 months, I'm now doing MRIs every three months because the past five have shown no growth. This first one in early July has a three month span, so here's hoping things are well. I have some minor numbing in my left hand, fingers 4 and 5. I am taking the chemotherapy once a month. I lost some hair that had not fallen out already, and a few blood spots on my arms from the steroids. My energy level is very good although I still nap about 1 to 1/2 hours a day. In the past year I've had five or six seizures, on a scale of 1-10 with my original about an 8, they've all been ones or twos. I'm hopeful that I'll get some form of my license back. Even, if just daylight driving. Finally, I have no questions relative to this taking my life at some point in time. To this extent I've had the talk with my two kids and wife, have finances in order, and spend as much time in Carmel, CA, as I can.

Comment from: ann, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 31

My husband had glioblastoma multiforme, stage 4. He had vague symptoms for a long time such as personality changes, tiredness and a headache that he said was a dull ache in the side of his head. He had seen his doctor many times but it was only after he had symptoms of slurred speech and dragging his feet that we took him to the emergency room where they scanned his head thinking he had a stroke. He had surgery, radiation and chemotherapy treatments. He passed away 9 months later. I would say not to ignore symptoms and keep after it if you think the doctor hasn't gotten it right. It is good to get a second opinion.

Comment from: Mum of 4, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I had headaches a year ago. It was found to be grade 2 brain tumor and cannot be operated.

Comment from: saracobb, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 30

My husband was diagnosed stage 4 brain cancer. He has opted out of any treatment. He also has a tumor on the kidney and one on his lung both close to arteries. He prefers to die naturally as they told him it is terminal. One month ago, he has lost his sight.

Comment from: SUSANA, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 22

My brother has been diagnosed with a glioblastoma grade IV on 03/21/2014. He is currently on chemotherapy and radiation. I am looking for the best free trial in which I can enroll him. I would like to find out what patients with glioblastoma have done to extend their lives. I am desperate, I need to get help for my brother; he is all for me.

Brain Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain cancer?
Brain Cancer - Prognosis Question: What is your brain cancer prognosis?
Brain Cancer - Treatment Question: What treatment(s) have you undergone for brain cancer?