Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?

Comment from: Garth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

The symptoms of my brain aneurysm started right after I went to the dentist. My neck was bothering me. I am very healthy at age 54, but that week I just thought it was my neck. The following weekend, Mother"s Day, I was getting dressed for work, my husband said I was screaming 'my head, my head', then I lay down, crawled to the bathroom and vomited. He called the ambulance, since I had passed out on the floor, and I do not remember anything for the next 2 months. It"s all a blank. I am laughing reading my transcripts when the doctors say they consulted me and my husband, I had no clue what was going on. A year later, I don"t like the new me, my balance is off, my left eye is giving me problems, I have stopped smoking. My doctor said smoking is what did it. Anyone out there reading this, please quit!

Comment from: Lolly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

At 66 I considered myself the healthiest person in town! On no medications, active, happy and strong!! Then at a music lesson I had the worst head pain ever. I felt dizzy and lay down on the floor. And passed out. My teacher called 911 and I was ambulanced to the hospital. I had a CT scan and taken immediately to surgery. They clipped the aneurysm and I was in neuro-ICU for almost three weeks. Brain surgery is not for sissies, but I am 100% recovered! When in doubt, go to the emergency room!

Comment from: carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I had severe spasms in my mid back for a number of years, also stiff sore neck at the back. While washing my car, bending down, I stood back up and everything started spinning. I felt very nauseous. I drove myself to the hospital, knowing that if I didn't, I may not survive. I felt like I was going to pass out on the way. I had no headache though, as many others report. CT scan showed blood in my brain. I was taken to a major hospital about four hours away. I had coiling, performed through my groin artery, four coils in total. I had had subarachnoid hemorrhage and was in hospital for 21 days, three years ago. I must have an MRI yearly, with contrast. There are no apparent side effects, I only take low dose aspirin daily. I am fortunate!

Comment from: anon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I had two cerebral aneurysms in August 2013. One burst which led to a subarachnoid hemorrhage. I can't remember anything about it. I was with a friend the night it happened, and have been told one minute I was ok, the next I was talking gibberish then appeared to pass out although my eyes were open. Then I was physically sick, the next I knew I was in hospital. I was on HDU (high dependency unit) for 3 weeks and on a ward for a week. After the hemorrhage, I suffered a vasospasm. My speech and vision were effected. I was seeing treble vision, but was told this would settle down. My speech is almost back to normal now after speech therapy and have been for sight tests and learning to wear varifocal glasses and contact lenses. Months earlier (January), I remember my eyes starting to fail and also a lot of ear ache (still under investigation). I am still not fit for work, however, daily I am improving. The fatigue is the worst and some short term memory loss. I never kept a diary before, but now it is my life line. I have still not go my driving license back, so the feeling of isolation is awful, but I'm one of the lucky ones and live to tell the tale.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I had a right vertebral dissection aneurysm in November 2005. I had the worst headache of my life. I thought it was just from stress. I was 47 years old and have a history of migraines. Three months before the aneurysm, my mother had a massive stroke and my son and his wife had a baby three days later. I was in college doing specialized clinical rotations around our state. My husband has multiple medical problems and wasn't in the best of health at the time. I actually did three days of clinicals with the headache before going to the hospital. At that time, I was taking 1000 mg ibuprofen with 5 mg Zomig (migraine medication) every three hours with no relief. When I went to the ER, they did a CT scan and two spinal taps before sending me to a bigger hospital that was equipped to deal with brain injuries. I had four coils placed in the artery and suffered a mild stroke during the procedure. I was in the hospital for a week, five days of which I don't remember anything except having a central line placed. Since then, I've graduated from college and am working in my chosen field. I have some residual weakness on the left side, which is only apparent if I get overly tired. My left optic nerve has also been damaged, so I frequently have to get my eye glass prescription changed. I have some balance issues but, through physical therapy, have learned to deal with them. I was told that had I waited another hour or two to go to the hospital, I would have died. I think the hardest part of this has been dealing with people who don't know how an experience like this can affect you. I try to perform as well as my coworkers but, sometimes, the added stress causes really bad headaches. I still get nervous whenever this happens. In the back of my mind I'm always wondering, is this just stress or another aneurysm?

Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?