Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?

Comment from: Betty Boop, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I am a 63 year old female, I got shingles in July of this year and I am still fighting it. It started on my scalp as a burning pain, then on my forehead; blisters started on my scalp down onto my forehead. The pain was unbearable and there is swelling between my skin and the skull cap. It has not gone away yet, I have been on two antibiotics and almost lost the vision in my right eye. An eye specialist put me on Lotemax gel eye drops and it shaved my vision. However the swelling and some pain remain on my head. Still on Lotemax and gabapentin for the eye and nerve damage. I still having fevers from time to time as well.

Comment from: Diane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I had been having vertigo/dizzy spells only while in bed when I turned over, along with a slight headache for about 2 weeks. I went to see my doctor and she ordered an MRI. They discovered a 6 mm aneurysm with a 2.5 mm neck. The next 2 weeks waiting for surgery was very scary. I had my coiling and stent put in last Thursday, came home from the hospital Friday evening and cannot believe how easy surgery and recovery has been. No pain other than the bruising from IVs. So much easier than living with the fear that it can rupture at any time! I previously had pain behind my left eye and my eye doctor insisted it was dry eye syndrome. I may have had dry eyes but I am sure the pain was from the aneurysm.

Comment from: survivor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

There were absolutely no signs or symptoms whatsoever of my brain aneurysm. I was sitting watching TV. I reached to the side for my coffee, prepared for a sip, and there was no cup in front of me. I looked to the side and there was my hand. I tried to move it, and it wouldn't. I tried getting up, but couldn't. So I called out to my daughter, and told her my hand and foot were not listening to me. She called the ambulance and they came. But signs and symptoms? None. The entire episode was painless. I still have no pains. One advantage though, I now sleep like a baby. And I wake up on time too. With no alarm clock!

Comment from: Kate, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I was at work, when I experienced a crushing pain in my head, this was July 8, 2014. My first thought was not again! I had a brain aneurism in February, 2008. That one was clipped. I have no memory of previous aneurism. This most recent one was coiled, and I did not lose consciousness. The headache before the coiling was extreme. I could feel my heart beating so hard, as if I had just been running for my life. This aneurism was located at forehead on right side; that explained the pain mostly on right side. I had no symptoms before this incident. I have no effects, other than tiredness. I will be checked again in 6 months.

Comment from: melody, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

My brain aneurysm started with poor concentration and vision, one sided severe ice pick ear and stiff neck pain together with headache that don't go away with the strongest NSAID drugs and anti-depressant. I had high fever for continuous 3 days and was given antibiotics infusion for several weeks but had a sudden gunshot one sided headache upon waking up in a morning. I was sent to the emergency room (ER) immediately and had my aneurysm clipped. I recovered quite well in 4 months.

Comment from: aneurysm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I was diagnosed with a brain aneurysm after 2 years of testing and testing. I begged my doctors for an MRA exam. Now I know I had it. I am still waiting to see another doctor. I am nervous, and I have anxiety. I am worried that if I allow the doctors to perform any operation it will be worse.

Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?