Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?

Comment from: DMR, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I suffered what was called a catastrophic brain aneurism, and should have died on the spot. I got taken to the hospital where I had 2 surgeries. One to put a stent in and clip the vessel, and one to put a drain tube in my head. Doctors told my family to expect the worse, three to six months in the hospital and rehabilitation, and even then I may or may not be the same. Miraculously I was out of the hospital in 2 weeks and spent 6 days in rehab. Other than feeling weak at times and getting a headache every now and then I am fine. It has been 5 weeks, I have been home for 2 weeks, and I feel normal. I can walk, talk, play my drums and do everything I did before. I am just taking it easy for now. From what I have learned about this, I will never understand how I recovered so quick and with all my faculties intact. I don't really know of anyone who was as lucky as me, but I am sure they exist. I had no symptoms before it happened, but I own a gym and was in great shape, which they say may have helped me recover. And lots of support. I am one of the lucky ones and wish I could give some advice on how to heal like I did, but I can't. I wish the best for everyone that has gone through this, and hope that you all recover.

Comment from: Tina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I was noticing a lot of headaches and my eyes also would ache. I thought it was from the migraine headaches I was also getting. There was a time I lost my vision, for about 5 minutes. Then I started feeling nauseous all the time. The day I was taken to the hospital, I felt the most unbearable pain in my head and I knew it was brain aneurysm.

Comment from: Betty Boop, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I am a 63 year old female, I got shingles in July of this year and I am still fighting it. It started on my scalp as a burning pain, then on my forehead; blisters started on my scalp down onto my forehead. The pain was unbearable and there is swelling between my skin and the skull cap. It has not gone away yet, I have been on two antibiotics and almost lost the vision in my right eye. An eye specialist put me on Lotemax gel eye drops and it shaved my vision. However the swelling and some pain remain on my head. Still on Lotemax and gabapentin for the eye and nerve damage. I still having fevers from time to time as well.

Comment from: Diane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I had been having vertigo/dizzy spells only while in bed when I turned over, along with a slight headache for about 2 weeks. I went to see my doctor and she ordered an MRI. They discovered a 6 mm aneurysm with a 2.5 mm neck. The next 2 weeks waiting for surgery was very scary. I had my coiling and stent put in last Thursday, came home from the hospital Friday evening and cannot believe how easy surgery and recovery has been. No pain other than the bruising from IVs. So much easier than living with the fear that it can rupture at any time! I previously had pain behind my left eye and my eye doctor insisted it was dry eye syndrome. I may have had dry eyes but I am sure the pain was from the aneurysm.

Comment from: survivor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

There were absolutely no signs or symptoms whatsoever of my brain aneurysm. I was sitting watching TV. I reached to the side for my coffee, prepared for a sip, and there was no cup in front of me. I looked to the side and there was my hand. I tried to move it, and it wouldn't. I tried getting up, but couldn't. So I called out to my daughter, and told her my hand and foot were not listening to me. She called the ambulance and they came. But signs and symptoms? None. The entire episode was painless. I still have no pains. One advantage though, I now sleep like a baby. And I wake up on time too. With no alarm clock!

Comment from: sk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I have been having a pain in the testicles since the year 2009. My orchitis used to recur after several months, but now recurrence is almost monthly. Sometimes I notice tiny things like stones in my right testis. There is no pain during intercourse or even when urinating. I have gone to several hospitals but told that it's an infection.

Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?