Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?

Comment from: Dianne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I came home from work after a normal day and went to the shop. I heard a loud bang, I thought there had been a car crash. Next I had a pain in my head, it was like a red hot poker; and then my legs wouldn"t work. I sat down in the shop and they got me a drink. I wouldn"t have ambulance, I managed to get home and went straight to the doctor's. My blood pressure was normal, everything normal, I kept saying to my doctor there was something wrong. Finally he sent me for a brain scan and I had an aneurism. I had it coiled and have been fine. I still go for scans but fingers crossed I am very lucky.

Comment from: Garth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

The symptoms of my brain aneurysm started right after I went to the dentist. My neck was bothering me. I am very healthy at age 54, but that week I just thought it was my neck. The following weekend, Mother"s Day, I was getting dressed for work, my husband said I was screaming 'my head, my head', then I lay down, crawled to the bathroom and vomited. He called the ambulance, since I had passed out on the floor, and I do not remember anything for the next 2 months. It"s all a blank. I am laughing reading my transcripts when the doctors say they consulted me and my husband, I had no clue what was going on. A year later, I don"t like the new me, my balance is off, my left eye is giving me problems, I have stopped smoking. My doctor said smoking is what did it. Anyone out there reading this, please quit!

Comment from: Lolly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

At 66 I considered myself the healthiest person in town! On no medications, active, happy and strong!! Then at a music lesson I had the worst head pain ever. I felt dizzy and lay down on the floor. And passed out. My teacher called 911 and I was ambulanced to the hospital. I had a CT scan and taken immediately to surgery. They clipped the aneurysm and I was in neuro-ICU for almost three weeks. Brain surgery is not for sissies, but I am 100% recovered! When in doubt, go to the emergency room!

Comment from: carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I had severe spasms in my mid back for a number of years, also stiff sore neck at the back. While washing my car, bending down, I stood back up and everything started spinning. I felt very nauseous. I drove myself to the hospital, knowing that if I didn't, I may not survive. I felt like I was going to pass out on the way. I had no headache though, as many others report. CT scan showed blood in my brain. I was taken to a major hospital about four hours away. I had coiling, performed through my groin artery, four coils in total. I had had subarachnoid hemorrhage and was in hospital for 21 days, three years ago. I must have an MRI yearly, with contrast. There are no apparent side effects, I only take low dose aspirin daily. I am fortunate!

Comment from: anon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I had two cerebral aneurysms in August 2013. One burst which led to a subarachnoid hemorrhage. I can't remember anything about it. I was with a friend the night it happened, and have been told one minute I was ok, the next I was talking gibberish then appeared to pass out although my eyes were open. Then I was physically sick, the next I knew I was in hospital. I was on HDU (high dependency unit) for 3 weeks and on a ward for a week. After the hemorrhage, I suffered a vasospasm. My speech and vision were effected. I was seeing treble vision, but was told this would settle down. My speech is almost back to normal now after speech therapy and have been for sight tests and learning to wear varifocal glasses and contact lenses. Months earlier (January), I remember my eyes starting to fail and also a lot of ear ache (still under investigation). I am still not fit for work, however, daily I am improving. The fatigue is the worst and some short term memory loss. I never kept a diary before, but now it is my life line. I have still not go my driving license back, so the feeling of isolation is awful, but I'm one of the lucky ones and live to tell the tale.

Comment from: diana b, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

My aneurysm ruptured in 2005, it started out as a severe headache and the rupture occurred while I slept. I was fortunate to have family that took me to the emergency room (ER). A nurse in the ER recognized the symptoms and alerted a neurosurgeon who ordered a CT scan. It was believed I would not survive the night, it took me nine months of therapy before I was able to return to work. However, the rupture damaged the nerves in my spinal cord causing them to tether and stick together. Seven years after surviving the aneurysm, I am in a wheelchair unable to walk. This has been the hardest battle of my life, I still fight daily to survive, the pain and nerve issues are constant... but I lived.

Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?