Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I went to the hospital with extreme Vertigo, was given medicine and sent home. I went again the next day and a CT scan was ordered, showing I have an anuerysm...However it has nothing to do with my other symptons, including a nystagmus, which is my eyeball shaking. I go see a neurosurgeon to see how to proceed. It is not bursting or bleeding. Doctors said I was just lucky that I came back to ER and a CT was ordered.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I am 50 years old. Out of the blue I developed a light sensitivity that would not allow me to open my eyes. When I attempted to they would water and pull shut. I had no other symptoms. I went to the ER and luckily three cerebral brain aneurysms were detected. I underwent an 8 hour clipping surgery. The following day I underwent another surgery due to massive hemorrhaging. They were able to repair two aneurysms. The third is very small and will be monitored. I am currently recovering at home and am planning to return on work starting with 1/2 days on Monday.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

At the age of 23 years I suffered months of severe head pain and nausea. I was diagnosed with a migraine. At the age of 42 years I developed numbness to the majority of my body. This was diagnosed as MS! Eventually at the age of 49 years after a heavy blow to the head and a week of severe head pain it was discovered that I had 2 'berry aneurysms' which the lager one was treated with platinum coils through the femoral artery in a hospital. My father, his father and grandfather plus 2 of his 5 brothers all died from this whilst in their 50's. So far only my younger sister has the same and was treated in UK by the same method but with different drug treatment which caused her many problems. (aspirin and warfarin). I had no drug treatment and no problems. The rest of the family have been tested and are clear for now.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

Sudden extreme headache took me right to the floor, vision was squirrely/blurry around the outside edges creating tunnel vision, extensive sweating.

Comment from: Praying4me, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I was diagnosed with a brain aneurysm yesterday. I had the worst headache of my entire life a month ago which began the research. I am interested in knowing if this is a leaking aneurysm. I can't shake the headaches and I feel nauseous. At what rate do the aneurysms grow as I have been told they all start out small.

Comment from: morshayshymas, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I had a Brain Aneurysm in 2003 that was found by mistake when my ENT doctor heard a brute in my Left carotid artery. I went to a vascular Dr. for an ultrasound and indeed I had blockage in my Left Carotid. Then I was sent to radiology for an angiogram test and the M. D. saw an aneurysm on the right side of my brain. I had Carotid Artery Surgery to open it up for good blood flow to my brain and 5 weeks later I had the brain surgery for the aneurysm. Two major surgeries in 5 weeks and I was in so very much pain but I thank God everyday for letting them find these two major problems in my body that could have caused a major stroke from the carotid artery blockage and death from the aneurysm. I am doing well now but I still have headaches.

Comment from: lucky, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I'm a 32 year old male. I had multiple seizures, messed up speech, and vomited before being rushed to hospital. It turned out to be a brain aneurism that had burst. I had a coil put in and was out of the hospital in 10 days. Headaches continued for a few weeks afterwards. I get a feeling of light headedness. But thankfully recovered.

Comment from: ernestjrstevens, 55-64 Male Published: April 19

Earlier this month an MRI detected a 4 mm aneurysm in my brain. In a few weeks I have an appointment with the neurovascular surgery department. I don't understand why not sooner. I just hope it isn't too late. My mother died in 1969 of a brain aneurysm and my youngest sister had a rupture in 2009 (she survived); however, you can see my concern.

Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?