Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?

Comment from: Brenda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I had different symptoms. I couldn't stop crying. My doctor thought I was just depressed. I came home from doing laundry on day and had seizures in my hallway. Ironically, the man who saved me died of an aneurysm less than 4 months later.

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I was diagnosed with having a stroke. I had a cat scan that was supposed to be normal. The same night my husband transferred me to a different hospital where a neurologist took one look at me and confirmed that I'd had a stroke. The hospital then took me to x-ray for a MRI and a MRA the following day with showed an aneurysm. I was then sent to a larger hospital where they did an angiogram and said I had 3 aneurysms. We were to follow up with surgery dates. The next doctor's appointment when we were suppose to set the dates for surgery, the neurosurgeon wanted me to go back to see the neurologist and I don't know what to think now.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I had a constant headache over my left eye that would not respond to ibuprofen for two weeks prior to having the worst headache pain of my life. The “nightmare headache” as I call it now, came on suddenly. I also experienced severe neck pain, nausea and vomiting. I went to the urgent care clinic at my family physician's office. I was treated for a migraine and sent home. The shots they gave me had no effect on my headache or nausea. The next morning I went to the ER, had a CT scan and was diagnosed with a subarachnoid hemorrhage. I had the endovascular coiling procedure the next morning which successfully blocked all but 2% of my aneurysm. I did have to return to the ICU after a couple of days in a regular room to treat the vasospasms that began occurring. I was released from the hospital after 12 days and am happy to say I am back to work full time 2 and a half months after my surgery. The remaining 2% will be looked at in a couple of months, but I am having positive thoughts about that.

Comment from: 45 yr survior, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I had the classic worst headache of my life, and nothing else. It is only now when I think back I had a couple of dizzy spells just like when you stand up too quickly and that was it. It is now two years on since I had coils put in and I am fine.

Comment from: Robbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I had numbness in my arm for months so doc sent me for a CT scan for the slipped disks in my neck to see if they had gotten worse. What was worse was finding out I had 2 aneurysms in my brain. I was sent to a hospital that specializes in brain surgeries in another province. I immediately underwent surgery, with the clipping and shunts. I think I had the best doc ever because I was in ICU for 1 day and home in my bed 5 days after surgery. I was laid up for 6 weeks in bed however. I would like to get people out there to go get tested for your health. Oh and one last footnote...I had blurred vision (thought it was diabetes), memory loss (thought I was getting old), and numbness in face and around eye (thought it was from neck injury). GO GET TESTED IF YOU HAVE ANY SYMPTOMS.

Comment from: Debo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I have had a swishing in my ears for the past 4 months. Every time my heart beats I hear the blood flowing in my head. I was diagnosed with tinnitus and was told it may go away or I may just have to live with it. My mom died at age 39 of an aneurysm and was found to have had polycystic kidney disease, which causes aneurysms. The ENT suggested I go see another ENT. Original doctors had ordered Brain MRI with and without contrast, Doppler of my neck, CT without contrast and found nothing. Finally the third doctor had me get a CT scan with contrast...and now the story will begin. I was diagnosed with a brain aneurysm and am seeing a neurologist in 2 days.

Comment from: Sandee W, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

My mother's father died in his 50s of a brain aneurysm and she died at the age of 63 of a heart aneurysm. I am 58 and have Parkinson's and TIA's. I suffer from migraines and just found out I have an aneurysm in my brain. I go in at the end of the month to see the brain doctor again.

Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?