Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?

Comment from: 45 yr survior, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I had the classic worst headache of my life, and nothing else. It is only now when I think back I had a couple of dizzy spells just like when you stand up too quickly and that was it. It is now two years on since I had coils put in and I am fine.

Comment from: Robbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I had numbness in my arm for months so doc sent me for a CT scan for the slipped disks in my neck to see if they had gotten worse. What was worse was finding out I had 2 aneurysms in my brain. I was sent to a hospital that specializes in brain surgeries in another province. I immediately underwent surgery, with the clipping and shunts. I think I had the best doc ever because I was in ICU for 1 day and home in my bed 5 days after surgery. I was laid up for 6 weeks in bed however. I would like to get people out there to go get tested for your health. Oh and one last footnote...I had blurred vision (thought it was diabetes), memory loss (thought I was getting old), and numbness in face and around eye (thought it was from neck injury). GO GET TESTED IF YOU HAVE ANY SYMPTOMS.

Comment from: Debo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I have had a swishing in my ears for the past 4 months. Every time my heart beats I hear the blood flowing in my head. I was diagnosed with tinnitus and was told it may go away or I may just have to live with it. My mom died at age 39 of an aneurysm and was found to have had polycystic kidney disease, which causes aneurysms. The ENT suggested I go see another ENT. Original doctors had ordered Brain MRI with and without contrast, Doppler of my neck, CT without contrast and found nothing. Finally the third doctor had me get a CT scan with contrast...and now the story will begin. I was diagnosed with a brain aneurysm and am seeing a neurologist in 2 days.

Comment from: Sandee W, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

My mother's father died in his 50s of a brain aneurysm and she died at the age of 63 of a heart aneurysm. I am 58 and have Parkinson's and TIA's. I suffer from migraines and just found out I have an aneurysm in my brain. I go in at the end of the month to see the brain doctor again.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

I had a giant aneurysm that was 6 cm in size. I had no pain to speak of except for the occasional headache. I never had migraines or severe headache. I had a CT scan of my sinus for an unrelated sinus infection. That is how they found the Aneurysm. It was that big! It took 5 months to schedule the operation it was not an emergency. The operation took 18 hours. It was done at Jefferson university hospital. I was in for one week and in bed for one more week after.

Comment from: Cherylmoore, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I had the worst headache of my life; in fact, I rarely every had a headache previous to the one where they discovered the aneurysm. I also suffered from vomiting and diarrhea (I don't know if diarrhea is a normal symptom).

Comment from: jespino, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

My brother died at the age of 50 due to an aneurysm. He didn't know he had one, and suffered with a severe headache all day. I always get stress headaches, but after his death I requested an MRI and they found two aneurysms. After an angiogram there is now a total of four small ones. I will be checked each year to see if they grow or if I get more. I don't know if I was better off not knowing, because it really stresses me out more.

Comment from: storknest, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I suffered a brain aneurysm in 1994 when I was 36 years old. I was changing a flat tire in the parking lot at work and when I stood up to get the lug nut wrench my vision turned pink. I sat down and waited, and when I stood up again I could not move my head without getting a buzzing sound in my ears. I could not look up or down. I went back into the building and was taken to the hospital where the CAT scan did not show anything. The emergency room doctor then decided to do a spinal tap and pulled four vials of blood out. I had surgery the next morning where the doctor clipped the aneurysm. I previously had not had severe headaches or high blood pressure. Long-term symptoms have been weaker on my right side and trouble lifting over 40 pounds.

Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?