Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?

Comment from: Janet, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I am a wife, mother, and grandmother. I am 70 years old. I had two aneurysms, and a harmless brain tumor, in the past few years. My experience was one of exreme dizziness, initially, and headaches. Then I had blurred vision. I felt bad and nauseous for so long and no one knew why. I had been going to a new PCP and cardiologist since my husband and I moved and didn't want to drive across town to see the doctor every month. But that wasn't such a good idea. My initial doctors knew my case and I could have saved myself a lot of problems. Now, the doctors are checking into all of the tests, blood work, etc., but they don't feel that surgery will be good for me. I'm 70 years old and have had many health issues since October of 2006. But my headaches and dizziness and nausea is very unsettling. And,my husband and I are pretty much house bound since he also has some issues. Not knowing just how dangerous this condition really is, is a stressful way to live.

Comment from: mcsheri, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I was 5 years old when i had a stroke due to a brain aneurysm. I have been left with gross and fine motor problems and I'm physically slow doing any thing. but to look at me you would think I'm normal.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I was diagnosed when I went to the doctor about vision changes in my left eye. I also had pressure behind the left eye, sensitivity to light, and muscles drooping around the left eye, eye lid, and check. My doctor thought I could have an infection. I have been HIV+ for 19 years, so he ordered a MRI. No infection was found, but the radiologist did discover 6mm berry aneurysm. It was determined to monitor it yearly, since the surgery is quite dangerous and the aneurysm so small.

Comment from: Geri, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

Earlier this month, I was smoking a cigarette in the backyard, when suddenly my head felt like it was hit with a brick. I went indoors and sat on my bed. The pain was running down my neck and spine and shoulders and I couldn't turn from side to side. I felt tingling down both my arms, went all cold and clammy. I had just had eye surgery to remove cataracts from my left eye three days earlier and I thought I was having a reaction to that procedure. So I went to put my eye drops in, when I vomited violently. I was about to take Panadols and go back to bed but something told me that this was no ordinary headache. I contacted my son who is a geriatrician and told him of my symptoms. He told me to sit still and leave the front door open for the paramedics. He called for the ambulance straight away. They took me to the hospital where the CT scan and lumbar puncture confirmed that I had had a subarachnoid haemorrhage. I was operated on the next day with the interventional radiological treatment and four coils were inserted to stem the bleeding. I was in the high dependency unit for 10 days and graduated to the normal ward and was discharged on the twelfth day. Now I just have to be monitored regularly and have given up smoking.

Comment from: Loris, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had a subarachnoid hemorrhage 6 months ago. After experiencing the worst headache ever, we called 911. The little town hospital I went to thought I was having a migraine and treated me for that for over 2.5 hours. Well I was also on Coumadin for a blood clot so by the time my 19 year old daughter yelled at them to do something the midline of my brain had been pushed over 10 millimeters. I was flown to a trauma hospital where they gave me vitamin K to counteract the Coumadin, by this time the midline was moved 13 millimeters. They told my family that I had a 5 percent chance to live through the surgery and if I did I would be a vegetable. Well I made it through and was responding right out of surgery. They did find another brain aneurysm on the opposite side and I will have it checked every 3 months. I still have some short term memory loss and aphasia when I am tired or stressed, but I am ALIVE!

Comment from: Anne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I had an aneurysm in May. The last thing I remember is having a terrible pain in the back of my head. I always joked about having one, so when my daughter got me to hospital, she said I was having an aneurysm, which was lucky in a way, because that was what they looked for. I have no memory of the next 12 days, I still have a headache and my vision is getting better. There were no symptoms prior to the aneurysm.

Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?