Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I was diagnosed when I went to the doctor about vision changes in my left eye. I also had pressure behind the left eye, sensitivity to light, and muscles drooping around the left eye, eye lid, and check. My doctor thought I could have an infection. I have been HIV+ for 19 years, so he ordered a MRI. No infection was found, but the radiologist did discover 6mm berry aneurysm. It was determined to monitor it yearly, since the surgery is quite dangerous and the aneurysm so small.

Comment from: Geri, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

Earlier this month, I was smoking a cigarette in the backyard, when suddenly my head felt like it was hit with a brick. I went indoors and sat on my bed. The pain was running down my neck and spine and shoulders and I couldn't turn from side to side. I felt tingling down both my arms, went all cold and clammy. I had just had eye surgery to remove cataracts from my left eye three days earlier and I thought I was having a reaction to that procedure. So I went to put my eye drops in, when I vomited violently. I was about to take Panadols and go back to bed but something told me that this was no ordinary headache. I contacted my son who is a geriatrician and told him of my symptoms. He told me to sit still and leave the front door open for the paramedics. He called for the ambulance straight away. They took me to the hospital where the CT scan and lumbar puncture confirmed that I had had a subarachnoid haemorrhage. I was operated on the next day with the interventional radiological treatment and four coils were inserted to stem the bleeding. I was in the high dependency unit for 10 days and graduated to the normal ward and was discharged on the twelfth day. Now I just have to be monitored regularly and have given up smoking.

Comment from: Loris, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had a subarachnoid hemorrhage 6 months ago. After experiencing the worst headache ever, we called 911. The little town hospital I went to thought I was having a migraine and treated me for that for over 2.5 hours. Well I was also on Coumadin for a blood clot so by the time my 19 year old daughter yelled at them to do something the midline of my brain had been pushed over 10 millimeters. I was flown to a trauma hospital where they gave me vitamin K to counteract the Coumadin, by this time the midline was moved 13 millimeters. They told my family that I had a 5 percent chance to live through the surgery and if I did I would be a vegetable. Well I made it through and was responding right out of surgery. They did find another brain aneurysm on the opposite side and I will have it checked every 3 months. I still have some short term memory loss and aphasia when I am tired or stressed, but I am ALIVE!

Comment from: Anne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I had an aneurysm in May. The last thing I remember is having a terrible pain in the back of my head. I always joked about having one, so when my daughter got me to hospital, she said I was having an aneurysm, which was lucky in a way, because that was what they looked for. I have no memory of the next 12 days, I still have a headache and my vision is getting better. There were no symptoms prior to the aneurysm.

Comment from: Brenda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I had different symptoms. I couldn't stop crying. My doctor thought I was just depressed. I came home from doing laundry on day and had seizures in my hallway. Ironically, the man who saved me died of an aneurysm less than 4 months later.

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I was diagnosed with having a stroke. I had a cat scan that was supposed to be normal. The same night my husband transferred me to a different hospital where a neurologist took one look at me and confirmed that I'd had a stroke. The hospital then took me to x-ray for a MRI and a MRA the following day with showed an aneurysm. I was then sent to a larger hospital where they did an angiogram and said I had 3 aneurysms. We were to follow up with surgery dates. The next doctor's appointment when we were suppose to set the dates for surgery, the neurosurgeon wanted me to go back to see the neurologist and I don't know what to think now.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I had a constant headache over my left eye that would not respond to ibuprofen for two weeks prior to having the worst headache pain of my life. The “nightmare headache” as I call it now, came on suddenly. I also experienced severe neck pain, nausea and vomiting. I went to the urgent care clinic at my family physician's office. I was treated for a migraine and sent home. The shots they gave me had no effect on my headache or nausea. The next morning I went to the ER, had a CT scan and was diagnosed with a subarachnoid hemorrhage. I had the endovascular coiling procedure the next morning which successfully blocked all but 2% of my aneurysm. I did have to return to the ICU after a couple of days in a regular room to treat the vasospasms that began occurring. I was released from the hospital after 12 days and am happy to say I am back to work full time 2 and a half months after my surgery. The remaining 2% will be looked at in a couple of months, but I am having positive thoughts about that.

Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?