Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?

Comment from: Kevin Scott Lung, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I had a headache for about two weeks and took Motrin the whole time to no avail. I went to the ER and had a CAT scan done. The ER doctor sent me home with a prescription for 800 mg of ibuprofen and said to refrain from any physical activity for a few days. That did not work. I went back to the ER after I passed out. The ER doctor ordered an MRI, and within six hours after the reading, I was on the operating table getting the aneurysm clipped.

Comment from: game, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I suffered a brain aneurysm the night of January 3. One minute I was standing up in my living room and the next minute I woke up in my husband's arms throwing up non-stop. My neck was aching terribly. I never had the headaches or any type of symptom that this was going to happen to me. I stayed in ICU for five days. The headaches were every day after the emergency surgery on the 4th. They were able to use the coiling into my brain. I was only in the hospital for eight days after that, and I feel very lucky. The headaches have just about stopped now.

Comment from: aneurysm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I was diagnosed with a brain aneurysm after 2 years of testing and testing. I begged my doctors for an MRA exam. Now I know I had it. I am still waiting to see another doctor. I am nervous, and I have anxiety. I am worried that if I allow the doctors to perform any operation it will be worse.

Comment from: cscottrn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I am a brain aneurysm survivor. I had an aneurysm clipping in February of 2011. Since then, I have recovered, with some short-term memory loss. I lost my job as an RN due to my extended leave of absence. I was denied disability as my short-term memory loss was deemed not significant enough to be considered a disability. I also lost my older sister last year to a brain aneurysm. I feel frustrated and very sad.

Comment from: Hannah, Female (Patient) Published: February 25

A few years ago I had a severe infection from a root canal which caused osteomyelitis and many Doctor visits. A couple years later I had a MRI which showed a berry aneurysm. I have double vision and stiff neck but minor headaches. I also need heart valve replacement partially from rheumatic valve and scarring from the infection which will require daily use of blood thinner. I am scheduled to see neurologist but don't want any risk of brain damage if it can be avoided.

Comment from: tommiejean, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I am 43. One day while I was at work, I got a terrible headache. The pain was so back that I could not move my neck. I told my supervisor that I was feeling lightheaded and that I could not hear myself talk. I was taken to the hospital by ambulance, where I found that I had three aneurysms. Now, I have a tube in my head for the rest of my life.

Published: February 19

I have talked to my doctor about getting tested for aneurysms, as I have a family history. My grandfather, my mother, and aunt died when she was 23, another aunt scheduled for surgery and also my younger sister age 33. My doctor asked if I really wanted to get tested as she has seen the diagnosis ruin people's lives. Have had some blurred vision but no other symptoms. I have three children under the age of 7 and I'm scared to get tested or not to get tested.

Comment from: Jennifer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

My brain aneurysm started with a sharp pain in what felt like my neck and lower left side of my head. I had trouble focusing and remembering what I had done a minute before. With my vision, I would occasionally see blinking/flashing lights or have double-vision. Another symptom was being extremely tired all the time. The pain spread from my neck to the left side of my face and into my ear. I ended up being diagnosed after a month with a thrombosed PICA aneurysm.

Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?