Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?

Comment from: Tmack, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 10

I suffered a brain aneurysm 5 months ago. I was weightlifting, routine for me, when a sudden headache came on. It felt as though my head was in a vice and getting squeezed. I sat down to see if it would pass but it gradually got more intense, now with nausea. An ambulance took me to a local hospital where I eventually started vomiting badly. The ER doc ordered a CT scan, from which was found a berry aneurysm in the Circle Of Willis section of my brain which had hemorrhaged causing a subarachnoid hemorrhage. I was transferred to another hospital where coiling was attempted to seal the berry. It was unsuccessful, thus, a craniotomy was performed to clip the berry with a titanium clip. The neurosurgeon and his team did a fantastic job. The surgery and clipping was successful. I returned to my career as a firefighter five months after surgery, having lost no body functions at all and only suffer very minor sporadic headaches. I knew the headache I had was definitely different than any other I had ever had which is why I called for an ambulance. I never thought it was a bleed and aneurysm. Absolutely call for help if you suffer a sudden severe headache or head pressure definitely with or even without nausea/vomiting.

Comment from: kmt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I had a subarachnoid bleed of undisclosed origin at the age of 51. Rapid severe headache, neck soreness, dizziness, vomiting. Initial CT negative but lumbar tap positive. Later CTs also positive. Luckily, bleed stopped and hasn't started again. No corrective action other than meds initially.

Comment from: me, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I was epitome of good health 5 years ago and went to ER with mother of all headaches for 4 days. The CT and MRI did not show the aneurysm. They sent me home w/a "migraine." Two days later, I went back with worse headache and stiff neck. Finally, they took a spinal tap which revealed hemorrhage. Had coiling done but headaches were 24-7 for next 18 months plus chronic fatigue. I was a Tylenol junkie and went cold turkey. First week was bad but slowly, the headaches got better w/less and less Tylenol. If the headache is worst of all time, insist on all tests including spinal tap b/c CT and MRI don't always show the aneurysm!

Comment from: SHAMIA, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I would say I had the worst headache ever. I experienced the vomiting, nausea, and my left eye led was closed due to the fact that the aneurysm dropped down to the nerve that controls the eye from shutting and closing. I was in so much pain for more than a week. I went to the Hospital 4 days straight and was sent home with IB pills and was told nothing was wrong with me; it was just a bad headache. On April 21, 2009 I experienced everything all at the same time. I was vomiting all over the place, my vision became double, and it was the worst headache and nausea feeling in the world.

Comment from: ALC, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I had had headaches, but they never felt like anything serious - just sinus headaches, especially during seasonal changes. I do not recall what my doctors refer to as "the event." I learned later that I had, apparently, vomited before being found. I have no idea if this was while I was conscious or unconscious. I had emergency brain surgery (clamping of the mid-cerebral aneurysm). Two weeks later, I had another surgery, a bone flap replacement. The headaches began immediately upon waking in the neuro ICU. I am on anti-seizure and pain meds for the time being, but the headaches never go away.

Comment from: Kevin Scott Lung, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I had a headache for about two weeks and took Motrin the whole time to no avail. I went to the ER and had a CAT scan done. The ER doctor sent me home with a prescription for 800 mg of ibuprofen and said to refrain from any physical activity for a few days. That did not work. I went back to the ER after I passed out. The ER doctor ordered an MRI, and within six hours after the reading, I was on the operating table getting the aneurysm clipped.

Comment from: game, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I suffered a brain aneurysm the night of January 3. One minute I was standing up in my living room and the next minute I woke up in my husband's arms throwing up non-stop. My neck was aching terribly. I never had the headaches or any type of symptom that this was going to happen to me. I stayed in ICU for five days. The headaches were every day after the emergency surgery on the 4th. They were able to use the coiling into my brain. I was only in the hospital for eight days after that, and I feel very lucky. The headaches have just about stopped now.

Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?