Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?

Comment from: Hannah, Female (Patient) Published: February 25

A few years ago I had a severe infection from a root canal which caused osteomyelitis and many Doctor visits. A couple years later I had a MRI which showed a berry aneurysm. I have double vision and stiff neck but minor headaches. I also need heart valve replacement partially from rheumatic valve and scarring from the infection which will require daily use of blood thinner. I am scheduled to see neurologist but don't want any risk of brain damage if it can be avoided.

Comment from: tommiejean, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I am 43. One day while I was at work, I got a terrible headache. The pain was so back that I could not move my neck. I told my supervisor that I was feeling lightheaded and that I could not hear myself talk. I was taken to the hospital by ambulance, where I found that I had three aneurysms. Now, I have a tube in my head for the rest of my life.

Published: February 19

I have talked to my doctor about getting tested for aneurysms, as I have a family history. My grandfather, my mother, and aunt died when she was 23, another aunt scheduled for surgery and also my younger sister age 33. My doctor asked if I really wanted to get tested as she has seen the diagnosis ruin people's lives. Have had some blurred vision but no other symptoms. I have three children under the age of 7 and I'm scared to get tested or not to get tested.

Comment from: Jennifer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

My brain aneurysm started with a sharp pain in what felt like my neck and lower left side of my head. I had trouble focusing and remembering what I had done a minute before. With my vision, I would occasionally see blinking/flashing lights or have double-vision. Another symptom was being extremely tired all the time. The pain spread from my neck to the left side of my face and into my ear. I ended up being diagnosed after a month with a thrombosed PICA aneurysm.

Comment from: trulyblessed, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I suffered an aneurism 2 years ago while at work. I initially was very dizzy when I stood up to leave my office. Something I haven't shared with many people is that I had been drinking those 5 hour energy drinks for two days before going to work. I was on my way to my car to get another one. Fortunately I was surrounded by some experienced staff who decided to get me to the hospital after I fainted rather than waiting for an ambulance. After arriving to the hospital one of the emergency room doctors said let's do a CT scan and that is when they discovered the aneurysm in my brain. I was told repeatedly by the hospital staff how lucky I was and I only respond that I'm blessed. I've quit smoking, and take my blood pressure medications, and never will drink another energy drink.

Comment from: Ronalda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

My headaches started when I was a 13. I went to the doctor and described my head aches he told me to cut my hair. At the age of 26 I was taken to the hospital where they found my aneurysm. I was airlifted to a trauma center where I was for 29 days. I have 2 clippings. I suffer from migraines once in a while. When I get them I am down I can't do anything. The thing I suffer from the most is PTSD. I have panic attacks, nightmares, and I flip out when I hear helicopters. But in my eyes I would rather go through all of this than die. At the time my daughter was 10 months old. I am happy because she is now 13. I had a doctor tell me I won my lotto in life. I say thank you.

Comment from: Janet, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I am a wife, mother, and grandmother. I am 70 years old. I had two aneurysms, and a harmless brain tumor, in the past few years. My experience was one of exreme dizziness, initially, and headaches. Then I had blurred vision. I felt bad and nauseous for so long and no one knew why. I had been going to a new PCP and cardiologist since my husband and I moved and didn't want to drive across town to see the doctor every month. But that wasn't such a good idea. My initial doctors knew my case and I could have saved myself a lot of problems. Now, the doctors are checking into all of the tests, blood work, etc., but they don't feel that surgery will be good for me. I'm 70 years old and have had many health issues since October of 2006. But my headaches and dizziness and nausea is very unsettling. And,my husband and I are pretty much house bound since he also has some issues. Not knowing just how dangerous this condition really is, is a stressful way to live.

Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?