Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I had a right vertebral dissection aneurysm in November 2005. I had the worst headache of my life. I thought it was just from stress. I was 47 years old and have a history of migraines. Three months before the aneurysm, my mother had a massive stroke and my son and his wife had a baby three days later. I was in college doing specialized clinical rotations around our state. My husband has multiple medical problems and wasn't in the best of health at the time. I actually did three days of clinicals with the headache before going to the hospital. At that time, I was taking 1000 mg ibuprofen with 5 mg Zomig (migraine medication) every three hours with no relief. When I went to the ER, they did a CT scan and two spinal taps before sending me to a bigger hospital that was equipped to deal with brain injuries. I had four coils placed in the artery and suffered a mild stroke during the procedure. I was in the hospital for a week, five days of which I don't remember anything except having a central line placed. Since then, I've graduated from college and am working in my chosen field. I have some residual weakness on the left side, which is only apparent if I get overly tired. My left optic nerve has also been damaged, so I frequently have to get my eye glass prescription changed. I have some balance issues but, through physical therapy, have learned to deal with them. I was told that had I waited another hour or two to go to the hospital, I would have died. I think the hardest part of this has been dealing with people who don't know how an experience like this can affect you. I try to perform as well as my coworkers but, sometimes, the added stress causes really bad headaches. I still get nervous whenever this happens. In the back of my mind I'm always wondering, is this just stress or another aneurysm?

Comment from: hazel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I have had abdominal surgery many years ago. I am having severe abdominal pain for the past 3 weeks, I think due to adhesions.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

My first symptom of brain aneurysm was severe headache that I had never felt before. Then it was shortness of breath. I couldn't move, then I lost consciousness. Thankfully I was still at work which happened to be hospital.

Comment from: diana b, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

My aneurysm ruptured in 2005, it started out as a severe headache and the rupture occurred while I slept. I was fortunate to have family that took me to the emergency room (ER). A nurse in the ER recognized the symptoms and alerted a neurosurgeon who ordered a CT scan. It was believed I would not survive the night, it took me nine months of therapy before I was able to return to work. However, the rupture damaged the nerves in my spinal cord causing them to tether and stick together. Seven years after surviving the aneurysm, I am in a wheelchair unable to walk. This has been the hardest battle of my life, I still fight daily to survive, the pain and nerve issues are constant... but I lived.

Comment from: dixeerose, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I had a sudden headache, vomiting, photosensitivity, and slurred speech because of the brain aneurysm.

Comment from: survived, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I woke in the middle of the night with a head ache, worse than I ever had before. Then I became disoriented and my left arm went numb. Was taken to a local hospital. The scan machines were not working so was taken by ambulance to larger hospital. After many scans and tests, it was determined that I had a brain aneurysm and two mini strokes. After the last scan, before surgery was scheduled, it was determined that it had healed over itself. The doctor has no answers and called me his "miracle baby". That was five years ago. I no longer have the terrible headaches which I was having. It took about six months before I was back to normal.

Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?