Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?

Comment from: Jennifer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

My brain aneurysm started with a sharp pain in what felt like my neck and lower left side of my head. I had trouble focusing and remembering what I had done a minute before. With my vision, I would occasionally see blinking/flashing lights or have double-vision. Another symptom was being extremely tired all the time. The pain spread from my neck to the left side of my face and into my ear. I ended up being diagnosed after a month with a thrombosed PICA aneurysm.

Comment from: trulyblessed, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I suffered an aneurism 2 years ago while at work. I initially was very dizzy when I stood up to leave my office. Something I haven't shared with many people is that I had been drinking those 5 hour energy drinks for two days before going to work. I was on my way to my car to get another one. Fortunately I was surrounded by some experienced staff who decided to get me to the hospital after I fainted rather than waiting for an ambulance. After arriving to the hospital one of the emergency room doctors said let's do a CT scan and that is when they discovered the aneurysm in my brain. I was told repeatedly by the hospital staff how lucky I was and I only respond that I'm blessed. I've quit smoking, and take my blood pressure medications, and never will drink another energy drink.

Comment from: Ronalda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

My headaches started when I was a 13. I went to the doctor and described my head aches he told me to cut my hair. At the age of 26 I was taken to the hospital where they found my aneurysm. I was airlifted to a trauma center where I was for 29 days. I have 2 clippings. I suffer from migraines once in a while. When I get them I am down I can't do anything. The thing I suffer from the most is PTSD. I have panic attacks, nightmares, and I flip out when I hear helicopters. But in my eyes I would rather go through all of this than die. At the time my daughter was 10 months old. I am happy because she is now 13. I had a doctor tell me I won my lotto in life. I say thank you.

Comment from: Janet, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I am a wife, mother, and grandmother. I am 70 years old. I had two aneurysms, and a harmless brain tumor, in the past few years. My experience was one of exreme dizziness, initially, and headaches. Then I had blurred vision. I felt bad and nauseous for so long and no one knew why. I had been going to a new PCP and cardiologist since my husband and I moved and didn't want to drive across town to see the doctor every month. But that wasn't such a good idea. My initial doctors knew my case and I could have saved myself a lot of problems. Now, the doctors are checking into all of the tests, blood work, etc., but they don't feel that surgery will be good for me. I'm 70 years old and have had many health issues since October of 2006. But my headaches and dizziness and nausea is very unsettling. And,my husband and I are pretty much house bound since he also has some issues. Not knowing just how dangerous this condition really is, is a stressful way to live.

Comment from: mcsheri, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I was 5 years old when i had a stroke due to a brain aneurysm. I have been left with gross and fine motor problems and I'm physically slow doing any thing. but to look at me you would think I'm normal.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I was diagnosed when I went to the doctor about vision changes in my left eye. I also had pressure behind the left eye, sensitivity to light, and muscles drooping around the left eye, eye lid, and check. My doctor thought I could have an infection. I have been HIV+ for 19 years, so he ordered a MRI. No infection was found, but the radiologist did discover 6mm berry aneurysm. It was determined to monitor it yearly, since the surgery is quite dangerous and the aneurysm so small.

Comment from: Geri, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

Earlier this month, I was smoking a cigarette in the backyard, when suddenly my head felt like it was hit with a brick. I went indoors and sat on my bed. The pain was running down my neck and spine and shoulders and I couldn't turn from side to side. I felt tingling down both my arms, went all cold and clammy. I had just had eye surgery to remove cataracts from my left eye three days earlier and I thought I was having a reaction to that procedure. So I went to put my eye drops in, when I vomited violently. I was about to take Panadols and go back to bed but something told me that this was no ordinary headache. I contacted my son who is a geriatrician and told him of my symptoms. He told me to sit still and leave the front door open for the paramedics. He called for the ambulance straight away. They took me to the hospital where the CT scan and lumbar puncture confirmed that I had had a subarachnoid haemorrhage. I was operated on the next day with the interventional radiological treatment and four coils were inserted to stem the bleeding. I was in the high dependency unit for 10 days and graduated to the normal ward and was discharged on the twelfth day. Now I just have to be monitored regularly and have given up smoking.

Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?