Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

My first symptom of brain aneurysm was severe headache that I had never felt before. Then it was shortness of breath. I couldn't move, then I lost consciousness. Thankfully I was still at work which happened to be hospital.

Comment from: diana b, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

My aneurysm ruptured in 2005, it started out as a severe headache and the rupture occurred while I slept. I was fortunate to have family that took me to the emergency room (ER). A nurse in the ER recognized the symptoms and alerted a neurosurgeon who ordered a CT scan. It was believed I would not survive the night, it took me nine months of therapy before I was able to return to work. However, the rupture damaged the nerves in my spinal cord causing them to tether and stick together. Seven years after surviving the aneurysm, I am in a wheelchair unable to walk. This has been the hardest battle of my life, I still fight daily to survive, the pain and nerve issues are constant... but I lived.

Comment from: dixeerose, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I had a sudden headache, vomiting, photosensitivity, and slurred speech because of the brain aneurysm.

Comment from: survived, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I woke in the middle of the night with a head ache, worse than I ever had before. Then I became disoriented and my left arm went numb. Was taken to a local hospital. The scan machines were not working so was taken by ambulance to larger hospital. After many scans and tests, it was determined that I had a brain aneurysm and two mini strokes. After the last scan, before surgery was scheduled, it was determined that it had healed over itself. The doctor has no answers and called me his "miracle baby". That was five years ago. I no longer have the terrible headaches which I was having. It took about six months before I was back to normal.

Comment from: Tmack, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 10

I suffered a brain aneurysm 5 months ago. I was weightlifting, routine for me, when a sudden headache came on. It felt as though my head was in a vice and getting squeezed. I sat down to see if it would pass but it gradually got more intense, now with nausea. An ambulance took me to a local hospital where I eventually started vomiting badly. The ER doc ordered a CT scan, from which was found a berry aneurysm in the Circle Of Willis section of my brain which had hemorrhaged causing a subarachnoid hemorrhage. I was transferred to another hospital where coiling was attempted to seal the berry. It was unsuccessful, thus, a craniotomy was performed to clip the berry with a titanium clip. The neurosurgeon and his team did a fantastic job. The surgery and clipping was successful. I returned to my career as a firefighter five months after surgery, having lost no body functions at all and only suffer very minor sporadic headaches. I knew the headache I had was definitely different than any other I had ever had which is why I called for an ambulance. I never thought it was a bleed and aneurysm. Absolutely call for help if you suffer a sudden severe headache or head pressure definitely with or even without nausea/vomiting.

Comment from: kmt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I had a subarachnoid bleed of undisclosed origin at the age of 51. Rapid severe headache, neck soreness, dizziness, vomiting. Initial CT negative but lumbar tap positive. Later CTs also positive. Luckily, bleed stopped and hasn't started again. No corrective action other than meds initially.

Comment from: me, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I was epitome of good health 5 years ago and went to ER with mother of all headaches for 4 days. The CT and MRI did not show the aneurysm. They sent me home w/a "migraine." Two days later, I went back with worse headache and stiff neck. Finally, they took a spinal tap which revealed hemorrhage. Had coiling done but headaches were 24-7 for next 18 months plus chronic fatigue. I was a Tylenol junkie and went cold turkey. First week was bad but slowly, the headaches got better w/less and less Tylenol. If the headache is worst of all time, insist on all tests including spinal tap b/c CT and MRI don't always show the aneurysm!

Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?