Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?

Comment from: SHAMIA, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I would say I had the worst headache ever. I experienced the vomiting, nausea, and my left eye led was closed due to the fact that the aneurysm dropped down to the nerve that controls the eye from shutting and closing. I was in so much pain for more than a week. I went to the Hospital 4 days straight and was sent home with IB pills and was told nothing was wrong with me; it was just a bad headache. On April 21, 2009 I experienced everything all at the same time. I was vomiting all over the place, my vision became double, and it was the worst headache and nausea feeling in the world.

Comment from: ALC, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I had had headaches, but they never felt like anything serious - just sinus headaches, especially during seasonal changes. I do not recall what my doctors refer to as "the event." I learned later that I had, apparently, vomited before being found. I have no idea if this was while I was conscious or unconscious. I had emergency brain surgery (clamping of the mid-cerebral aneurysm). Two weeks later, I had another surgery, a bone flap replacement. The headaches began immediately upon waking in the neuro ICU. I am on anti-seizure and pain meds for the time being, but the headaches never go away.

Comment from: Kevin Scott Lung, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I had a headache for about two weeks and took Motrin the whole time to no avail. I went to the ER and had a CAT scan done. The ER doctor sent me home with a prescription for 800 mg of ibuprofen and said to refrain from any physical activity for a few days. That did not work. I went back to the ER after I passed out. The ER doctor ordered an MRI, and within six hours after the reading, I was on the operating table getting the aneurysm clipped.

Comment from: game, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I suffered a brain aneurysm the night of January 3. One minute I was standing up in my living room and the next minute I woke up in my husband's arms throwing up non-stop. My neck was aching terribly. I never had the headaches or any type of symptom that this was going to happen to me. I stayed in ICU for five days. The headaches were every day after the emergency surgery on the 4th. They were able to use the coiling into my brain. I was only in the hospital for eight days after that, and I feel very lucky. The headaches have just about stopped now.

Comment from: Hannah, Female (Patient) Published: February 25

A few years ago I had a severe infection from a root canal which caused osteomyelitis and many Doctor visits. A couple years later I had a MRI which showed a berry aneurysm. I have double vision and stiff neck but minor headaches. I also need heart valve replacement partially from rheumatic valve and scarring from the infection which will require daily use of blood thinner. I am scheduled to see neurologist but don't want any risk of brain damage if it can be avoided.

Comment from: tommiejean, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I am 43. One day while I was at work, I got a terrible headache. The pain was so back that I could not move my neck. I told my supervisor that I was feeling lightheaded and that I could not hear myself talk. I was taken to the hospital by ambulance, where I found that I had three aneurysms. Now, I have a tube in my head for the rest of my life.

Published: February 19

I have talked to my doctor about getting tested for aneurysms, as I have a family history. My grandfather, my mother, and aunt died when she was 23, another aunt scheduled for surgery and also my younger sister age 33. My doctor asked if I really wanted to get tested as she has seen the diagnosis ruin people's lives. Have had some blurred vision but no other symptoms. I have three children under the age of 7 and I'm scared to get tested or not to get tested.

Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?