Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?

Comment from: Tess, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

Last year, I suffered a brain aneurysm. I have been getting migraines for years and presumed that this was a migraine. However, it got worse and worse. I was at home for two weeks with it. In that time I went to the doctor twice and was given painkillers each time. I also went to A and E, and they sent me home with steroids. By this stage, I was very bad. Eventually my eyelid started drooping, and my vision was affected. I was finally admitted to the hospital. It took another week of tests, scans, lumbar puncture, etc., before I was diagnosed. By this time, I could not open my eye at all. Eventually, I had the aneurysm clipped. I think I recovered fast from surgery, but unfortunately I still get migraines always behind my eye, which was the same location of the aneurysm. Now I always wonder if I am having a migraine or another aneurysm.

Comment from: SHAMIA, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I would say I had the worst headache ever. I experienced the vomiting, nausea, and my left eye led was closed due to the fact that the aneurysm dropped down to the nerve that controls the eye from shutting and closing. I was in so much pain for more than a week. I went to the Hospital 4 days straight and was sent home with IB pills and was told nothing was wrong with me; it was just a bad headache. On April 21, 2009 I experienced everything all at the same time. I was vomiting all over the place, my vision became double, and it was the worst headache and nausea feeling in the world.

Comment from: ALC, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I had had headaches, but they never felt like anything serious - just sinus headaches, especially during seasonal changes. I do not recall what my doctors refer to as "the event." I learned later that I had, apparently, vomited before being found. I have no idea if this was while I was conscious or unconscious. I had emergency brain surgery (clamping of the mid-cerebral aneurysm). Two weeks later, I had another surgery, a bone flap replacement. The headaches began immediately upon waking in the neuro ICU. I am on anti-seizure and pain meds for the time being, but the headaches never go away.

Comment from: Kevin Scott Lung, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I had a headache for about two weeks and took Motrin the whole time to no avail. I went to the ER and had a CAT scan done. The ER doctor sent me home with a prescription for 800 mg of ibuprofen and said to refrain from any physical activity for a few days. That did not work. I went back to the ER after I passed out. The ER doctor ordered an MRI, and within six hours after the reading, I was on the operating table getting the aneurysm clipped.

Comment from: game, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I suffered a brain aneurysm the night of January 3. One minute I was standing up in my living room and the next minute I woke up in my husband's arms throwing up non-stop. My neck was aching terribly. I never had the headaches or any type of symptom that this was going to happen to me. I stayed in ICU for five days. The headaches were every day after the emergency surgery on the 4th. They were able to use the coiling into my brain. I was only in the hospital for eight days after that, and I feel very lucky. The headaches have just about stopped now.

Comment from: cscottrn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I am a brain aneurysm survivor. I had an aneurysm clipping in February of 2011. Since then, I have recovered, with some short-term memory loss. I lost my job as an RN due to my extended leave of absence. I was denied disability as my short-term memory loss was deemed not significant enough to be considered a disability. I also lost my older sister last year to a brain aneurysm. I feel frustrated and very sad.

Comment from: Hannah, Female (Patient) Published: February 25

A few years ago I had a severe infection from a root canal which caused osteomyelitis and many Doctor visits. A couple years later I had a MRI which showed a berry aneurysm. I have double vision and stiff neck but minor headaches. I also need heart valve replacement partially from rheumatic valve and scarring from the infection which will require daily use of blood thinner. I am scheduled to see neurologist but don't want any risk of brain damage if it can be avoided.

Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?