Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?

Comment from: hazel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I have had abdominal surgery many years ago. I am having severe abdominal pain for the past 3 weeks, I think due to adhesions.

Comment from: Kate, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I was at work, when I experienced a crushing pain in my head, this was July 8, 2014. My first thought was not again! I had a brain aneurism in February, 2008. That one was clipped. I have no memory of previous aneurism. This most recent one was coiled, and I did not lose consciousness. The headache before the coiling was extreme. I could feel my heart beating so hard, as if I had just been running for my life. This aneurism was located at forehead on right side; that explained the pain mostly on right side. I had no symptoms before this incident. I have no effects, other than tiredness. I will be checked again in 6 months.

Comment from: melody, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

My brain aneurysm started with poor concentration and vision, one sided severe ice pick ear and stiff neck pain together with headache that don't go away with the strongest NSAID drugs and anti-depressant. I had high fever for continuous 3 days and was given antibiotics infusion for several weeks but had a sudden gunshot one sided headache upon waking up in a morning. I was sent to the emergency room (ER) immediately and had my aneurysm clipped. I recovered quite well in 4 months.

Comment from: Lorna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I was in the middle of a yoga lesson when suddenly I had this terrible headache. I never felt this throbbing in my head and also I threw up more than once. I went to hospital, had a CT scan, then was taken in a helicopter to another hospital, and then was flown to London for my surgery. I had a ruptured vein and another formed into a balloon. I had an angiogram where they coiled it. I had a 3 week stay in hospital. I suffer short term memory and am on medication. It's been 2 months now since the brain aneurysm. I feel good but have to do chores lightly. If I lift something heavy I feel pressure in my head. I have to rest frequently and I'm not thinking of going back to work. I'm having my next MRI in October for a follow up.

Comment from: Dianne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I came home from work after a normal day and went to the shop. I heard a loud bang, I thought there had been a car crash. Next I had a pain in my head, it was like a red hot poker; and then my legs wouldn"t work. I sat down in the shop and they got me a drink. I wouldn"t have ambulance, I managed to get home and went straight to the doctor's. My blood pressure was normal, everything normal, I kept saying to my doctor there was something wrong. Finally he sent me for a brain scan and I had an aneurism. I had it coiled and have been fine. I still go for scans but fingers crossed I am very lucky.

Comment from: Garth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

The symptoms of my brain aneurysm started right after I went to the dentist. My neck was bothering me. I am very healthy at age 54, but that week I just thought it was my neck. The following weekend, Mother"s Day, I was getting dressed for work, my husband said I was screaming 'my head, my head', then I lay down, crawled to the bathroom and vomited. He called the ambulance, since I had passed out on the floor, and I do not remember anything for the next 2 months. It"s all a blank. I am laughing reading my transcripts when the doctors say they consulted me and my husband, I had no clue what was going on. A year later, I don"t like the new me, my balance is off, my left eye is giving me problems, I have stopped smoking. My doctor said smoking is what did it. Anyone out there reading this, please quit!

Comment from: Lolly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

At 66 I considered myself the healthiest person in town! On no medications, active, happy and strong!! Then at a music lesson I had the worst head pain ever. I felt dizzy and lay down on the floor. And passed out. My teacher called 911 and I was ambulanced to the hospital. I had a CT scan and taken immediately to surgery. They clipped the aneurysm and I was in neuro-ICU for almost three weeks. Brain surgery is not for sissies, but I am 100% recovered! When in doubt, go to the emergency room!

Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?