Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?

Comment from: hazel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I have had abdominal surgery many years ago. I am having severe abdominal pain for the past 3 weeks, I think due to adhesions.

Comment from: Diane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I had been having vertigo/dizzy spells only while in bed when I turned over, along with a slight headache for about 2 weeks. I went to see my doctor and she ordered an MRI. They discovered a 6 mm aneurysm with a 2.5 mm neck. The next 2 weeks waiting for surgery was very scary. I had my coiling and stent put in last Thursday, came home from the hospital Friday evening and cannot believe how easy surgery and recovery has been. No pain other than the bruising from IVs. So much easier than living with the fear that it can rupture at any time! I previously had pain behind my left eye and my eye doctor insisted it was dry eye syndrome. I may have had dry eyes but I am sure the pain was from the aneurysm.

Comment from: survivor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

There were absolutely no signs or symptoms whatsoever of my brain aneurysm. I was sitting watching TV. I reached to the side for my coffee, prepared for a sip, and there was no cup in front of me. I looked to the side and there was my hand. I tried to move it, and it wouldn't. I tried getting up, but couldn't. So I called out to my daughter, and told her my hand and foot were not listening to me. She called the ambulance and they came. But signs and symptoms? None. The entire episode was painless. I still have no pains. One advantage though, I now sleep like a baby. And I wake up on time too. With no alarm clock!

Comment from: Kate, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I was at work, when I experienced a crushing pain in my head, this was July 8, 2014. My first thought was not again! I had a brain aneurism in February, 2008. That one was clipped. I have no memory of previous aneurism. This most recent one was coiled, and I did not lose consciousness. The headache before the coiling was extreme. I could feel my heart beating so hard, as if I had just been running for my life. This aneurism was located at forehead on right side; that explained the pain mostly on right side. I had no symptoms before this incident. I have no effects, other than tiredness. I will be checked again in 6 months.

Comment from: melody, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

My brain aneurysm started with poor concentration and vision, one sided severe ice pick ear and stiff neck pain together with headache that don't go away with the strongest NSAID drugs and anti-depressant. I had high fever for continuous 3 days and was given antibiotics infusion for several weeks but had a sudden gunshot one sided headache upon waking up in a morning. I was sent to the emergency room (ER) immediately and had my aneurysm clipped. I recovered quite well in 4 months.

Comment from: Lorna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I was in the middle of a yoga lesson when suddenly I had this terrible headache. I never felt this throbbing in my head and also I threw up more than once. I went to hospital, had a CT scan, then was taken in a helicopter to another hospital, and then was flown to London for my surgery. I had a ruptured vein and another formed into a balloon. I had an angiogram where they coiled it. I had a 3 week stay in hospital. I suffer short term memory and am on medication. It's been 2 months now since the brain aneurysm. I feel good but have to do chores lightly. If I lift something heavy I feel pressure in my head. I have to rest frequently and I'm not thinking of going back to work. I'm having my next MRI in October for a follow up.

Comment from: Dianne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I came home from work after a normal day and went to the shop. I heard a loud bang, I thought there had been a car crash. Next I had a pain in my head, it was like a red hot poker; and then my legs wouldn"t work. I sat down in the shop and they got me a drink. I wouldn"t have ambulance, I managed to get home and went straight to the doctor's. My blood pressure was normal, everything normal, I kept saying to my doctor there was something wrong. Finally he sent me for a brain scan and I had an aneurism. I had it coiled and have been fine. I still go for scans but fingers crossed I am very lucky.

Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?