Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.

Comment from: Lmunday, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I suffered a subarachnoid hemorrhage caused by brain aneurysm on December 7, 2013. I felt fine until I bent over and my head exploded and I had the worst headache ever! Then I started throwing up. I had never had a migraine before, so I thought maybe that's what was happening. After several hours of intense pain, I finally was taken to the hospital where they did a CT scan and immediately called for a helicopter to transport me to a hospital. There, the doctor immediately operated and performed a coil embolization. After one week, my body started salt wasting which was scary. Finally, after 10 days in ICU and 2 nights on a step down floor, I was able to go home. The blood that drained from my brain had pooled at my tailbone, so it was hard to get up or down. It took a while for my body to reabsorb that blood. Recovery took a while, but I've now had two cerebral angiograms, and I'm doing great! I'm thankful to be alive!

Comment from: Arkansas patient, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I had a slow bleed brain aneurysm when I was 58 years of age. The onset was a sudden pain that flashed fully from my head down my spine, and immediate nausea. I was able to drive some 15 or 20 minutes to my house, didn't remember how I got in the garage, and couldn't get out of the car once there. After my husband got me inside on the bed, I dry heaved into a bowl and knew nothing more until I woke up in the hospital about to have surgery (coiling procedure at a base of the brain aneurysm). I was in ICU for two weeks, and on a regular hospital floor for one week. I returned to work after five weeks, with no residuals except to rebuild my strength from being bed-ridden for the time I was. I had migraine headaches before the aneurysm with some frequency. Now, not so much, in fact, they are rare. I am on blood pressure medicine now and was before the aneurysm. I was emotionally upset and fearful when mine hit because I was out in bad weather and trying to get home before (as it turns out) a tornado hit.

Comment from: Stephen, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 06

It started as a bang behind my left eye, and the migraine came on straight away. I had 2 days off work, saw my doctor, everything seemed fine. My head did feel funny. Two weeks later I had a migraine at work, they took me to my doctor, who gave me medication. I went home to bed, I think I woke up and had a spew, and got back into bed. I awoke with left eye closed. My doctor admitted me to hospital, where I was diagnosed with occipital headache and isolated 3rd nerve palsy. After coil embolization of the aneurysm I have lost control of eye lid and control of the eye. I can still see out of the left eye, but no control.

Comment from: annie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I was raking fire and tried to straighten up but couldn't because my neck was stiff. Then there was a buildup of pressure as if my blood pressure had hit the roof. I knew something was not right and went to hospital straight away where a CT scan showed two ruptured aneurysms. I was operated on straight away and coils were used. I took a while to recover because of fear of doing things. This was 7 months ago. One was not operated on as it was too small but they are keeping an eye on this and I think they will operate on it in the near future. It can be scary but I was lucky in that no damage was done and I now feel back to my old self.

Comment from: LuckyKaren, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm 3 years ago. The rupture fortunately clotted. I stayed in bed for 3 days until a spinal tap diagnosed my problem. I had brain surgery 2 days later. My hearing was affected for about 6 months. I have recovered 100 percent and often wonder how many others are out there that made a full recovery. The only thing that bothers me are loud noises and I startle easily. I was told, 2 years ago, by my surgeon that I do not need any further treatment.

Comment from: LHR, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 28

I had Perthes disease of my left hip when I was just 5 years old. The aneurysm burst on April 13, 1974, I had epilepsy in May 1989, and blood clots in January 1992, 1993, 1999, 2000, 2001, and 2002. I was diagnosed with two rare blood disorders in 2002 (antiphospholipid syndrome and protein S deficiency). In April 2014 I tested positive for the lupus antibody.

Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?