Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.

Comment from: Arkansas patient, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I had a slow bleed brain aneurysm when I was 58 years of age. The onset was a sudden pain that flashed fully from my head down my spine, and immediate nausea. I was able to drive some 15 or 20 minutes to my house, didn't remember how I got in the garage, and couldn't get out of the car once there. After my husband got me inside on the bed, I dry heaved into a bowl and knew nothing more until I woke up in the hospital about to have surgery (coiling procedure at a base of the brain aneurysm). I was in ICU for two weeks, and on a regular hospital floor for one week. I returned to work after five weeks, with no residuals except to rebuild my strength from being bed-ridden for the time I was. I had migraine headaches before the aneurysm with some frequency. Now, not so much, in fact, they are rare. I am on blood pressure medicine now and was before the aneurysm. I was emotionally upset and fearful when mine hit because I was out in bad weather and trying to get home before (as it turns out) a tornado hit.

Comment from: Stephen, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 06

It started as a bang behind my left eye, and the migraine came on straight away. I had 2 days off work, saw my doctor, everything seemed fine. My head did feel funny. Two weeks later I had a migraine at work, they took me to my doctor, who gave me medication. I went home to bed, I think I woke up and had a spew, and got back into bed. I awoke with left eye closed. My doctor admitted me to hospital, where I was diagnosed with occipital headache and isolated 3rd nerve palsy. After coil embolization of the aneurysm I have lost control of eye lid and control of the eye. I can still see out of the left eye, but no control.

Comment from: annie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I was raking fire and tried to straighten up but couldn't because my neck was stiff. Then there was a buildup of pressure as if my blood pressure had hit the roof. I knew something was not right and went to hospital straight away where a CT scan showed two ruptured aneurysms. I was operated on straight away and coils were used. I took a while to recover because of fear of doing things. This was 7 months ago. One was not operated on as it was too small but they are keeping an eye on this and I think they will operate on it in the near future. It can be scary but I was lucky in that no damage was done and I now feel back to my old self.

Comment from: LuckyKaren, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm 3 years ago. The rupture fortunately clotted. I stayed in bed for 3 days until a spinal tap diagnosed my problem. I had brain surgery 2 days later. My hearing was affected for about 6 months. I have recovered 100 percent and often wonder how many others are out there that made a full recovery. The only thing that bothers me are loud noises and I startle easily. I was told, 2 years ago, by my surgeon that I do not need any further treatment.

Comment from: sia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I had an aneurysm in the brain stem back in 2000.

Comment from: LHR, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 28

I had Perthes disease of my left hip when I was just 5 years old. The aneurysm burst on April 13, 1974, I had epilepsy in May 1989, and blood clots in January 1992, 1993, 1999, 2000, 2001, and 2002. I was diagnosed with two rare blood disorders in 2002 (antiphospholipid syndrome and protein S deficiency). In April 2014 I tested positive for the lupus antibody.

Comment from: Mariana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

In 2011 I was at a dinner with my husband, at his brother's house. We were having a great time, when out of nowhere I experienced the most painful headache. The best way to describe it felt like brain freeze on the top of my head, and at the same time my head was pounding. My sister-in-law, a nurse, gave me an aspirin, and told me to follow up with my primary doctor, which I did. I had a CAT scan with contrast and also MRI and MRA, and it showed I had a brain aneurysm on front of my brain. I had a coil placed on it, after spending 5 days in ICU; luckily it was clipped. It was a very frightening experience. I was very lucky!

Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?