Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 17

My mom who had just turned 53 had a fatal brain aneurysm in January 2016. We have no idea if she felt anything beforehand, she just collapsed and was blue within about a minute.

Comment from: theresalynne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I had a headache for several days and finally went to the emergency room. They told me I had a sinus infection and sent me home. The next couple days were horrible as my headache wouldn't go away. Then my boyfriend at the time found me on the floor having a seizure and I couldn't move my left side. He rushed me to the doctor, and at this point I couldn't walk. The same doctor that told me I had a sinus infection told me I had blood on the brain after taking blood and another CT scan. They life-flighted me, where I had emergency surgery for brain aneurysm. It has been almost five years, and I have already been through an operation fixing the plate and screw in my head, now on May 17 I am going again to fix the headaches I've been having for the last five years.

Comment from: Marine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

November 2012, I was 45 years old with a responsible job, at the peak of my career and studies, when I suffered a brain bleed, later known to me as a subarachnoid hemorrhage. I was at gym when it happened and it felt as if someone made fire in my brain. I felt the moisture running in my brain for a few split seconds and I thought I was going to die. I lost consciousness, my speech and was paralyzed for e few hours. Luckily for me I was taken to hospital very soon and a week later underwent open brain surgery followed by a cerebral angiogram 3 months later to coil the other 2 brain aneurisms I had. Today I realize how lucky I am to be alive. I kept my job but it was not easy. I have no visible damage but the emotional damage was overwhelming and I lost a lot of confidence. My short term memory was almost non-existent. Three years down the line I am much better and so grateful that I got a second chance. I look at life differently, appreciate things more and am much more tolerant.

Comment from: lesley w., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

June 8, 2015 we were on a family holiday when we stopped for a coffee. I picked up my 15 month old granddaughter when I felt a pop on the right side of my head. I put her down as dizziness, blurred vision and the worst headache of my life engulfed me. As I had a stiff neck and numbness down my right side I believed I had a pinched nerve so took painkillers and as I didn't want to spoil the trip for my family we carried on. No amount of painkillers helped my head and I had trouble with my eyes and felt dizzy all the time. I don't remember much about the holiday and on our return I went to my chiropractor. He refused to treat me and insisted I go to the hospital immediately. After CAT scans I was told I had 3 aneurysms and was transferred to a major hospital where I was examined by an angiogram the next day. They coiled 2 of the aneurysms that day and clipped the third the following day as it was quite large and had a large neck, and it had also ruptured. I have had several seizures since and still have 2 smaller aneurysms that are being monitored. Although I know I'm lucky to be alive I still struggle with day to day life, I'm unable to drive and feel fatigued most of the time. I am fearful the 2 remaining aneurysms will require treatment. I have improved over the last 6 months and I'm trying to stay positive I will make a full recovery.

Comment from: thomas b., 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 05

My son died within 25 minutes of saying he had a terrible pain in his head. Then he was sick and died in my arms. He had subarachnoid hemorrhage from a brain aneurysm.

Comment from: Lmunday, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I suffered a subarachnoid hemorrhage caused by brain aneurysm on December 7, 2013. I felt fine until I bent over and my head exploded and I had the worst headache ever! Then I started throwing up. I had never had a migraine before, so I thought maybe that's what was happening. After several hours of intense pain, I finally was taken to the hospital where they did a CT scan and immediately called for a helicopter to transport me to a hospital. There, the doctor immediately operated and performed a coil embolization. After one week, my body started salt wasting which was scary. Finally, after 10 days in ICU and 2 nights on a step down floor, I was able to go home. The blood that drained from my brain had pooled at my tailbone, so it was hard to get up or down. It took a while for my body to reabsorb that blood. Recovery took a while, but I've now had two cerebral angiograms, and I'm doing great! I'm thankful to be alive!

Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?