Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.

Comment from: Gloria, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

In 2010 I had 5 brain aneurysms. It was a good thing I went to the emergency room. When I did they scheduled a CAT scan then an MRA to see how big they were. The next day I had an angiogram. They coiled the largest one that measured at 15mm then two months later I had open brain surgery for an aneurysm on my front right side that measured at 5mm. They then inserted a clip for that one. Then 10 months later I had open brain surgery on my left side for another that measured at 4mm. They clipped that one as well. I had 3 strokes after the second surgery when I was still at the hospital recovering. The only effect I had from the stroke was my speech and weakness. After all of that I'm doing just fine. I still have 2 left but they"re small. I get MRAs every two years.

Comment from: Sarah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have had headaches all my life but I was at work one night and had tons of pressure in my head and a hurting neck. I am a stubborn woman and didn't want to leave work but my boss came to me about 3 hours later and said I looked bad, pale and my eyes looked funny. He suggested that I needed to go to the hospital but I said no I will be ok. Half an hour later he came back and pretty much demanded I go, so I went. I had a CAT scan about thirty minutes later and then I had to go to the restroom. I had double vision and then it felt like I was stabbed in the head! I finally made it to the door and fell in the floor! I was diagnosed with 5 aneurysms! For 3 weeks the doctor went up through my leg to stop the vasospasms and then the fourth week I had brain surgery. They clipped the two that were on the left side and two weeks later I was released and now I have to go tomorrow to see what to do with the other three!

Comment from: libra, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I suffered with subarachnoid hemorrhage 4 days after my 50th birthday last year October 18, 2013. I woke up with a terrible headache. I took ibuprofen 800, it did not go away. My next instinct was to take my blood pressure and it was too high 176/126 and a HR of 147. I knew something was wrong. I don't have issues with high blood pressure but my husband has BP medications so I took one and took 2 tums because I wanted to vomit. When I tried getting up, I couldn't bear the pain in my head. They brought me to a nearby hospital and found out that I had bleeding in my brain and they cannot do a surgery there. They airlifted me to another hospital. At first the doctor said, he will do the coiling but after a series of tests, he told my husband, they need to do craniotomy and put a clip on the bleeding because the aneurysm ruptured. It was a 4 hour surgery. Fortunately, I was restored without any residuals. But, despite that, I still feel scared at times. I am back to work part time. My next appointment for MRI and CT scan will be on the 3rd of March. They still need to watch out another bulge that did not rupture. My grandmother died of stroke in the 80s. Many said that she might have died of brain aneurysm. So , my doctors said if someone in your family have it, have the immediate family check.

Comment from: lynnie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I had SAH (subarachnoid hemorrhage) in July 2011, I had just turned 50. My sister had died of one 17 years prior, but was told then that SAH was not hereditary. I had extreme headache around the top of my head (Headaches are not normal for me.) I drove myself to the hospital, barely, they did a CT scan and saw blood in brain, airlifted me to a major hospital for coiling. I stayed there for about 2 weeks monitoring vasospasms. I have had 3 invasive checks of the coiling since then, all clear. I'm happy to be here. Be your own consumer patient advocate when something doesn't feel right.

Comment from: Wat If, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I've never had issues with headache other than when my period is on occasionally. My tolerance for pain is very high, I've always refused to go to the doctor/emergency room when I'm not well. The night of May 1, 2013 my son had cooked dinner, I walked in the kitchen to prepare some gravy and bam! It felt like someone struck me in my temple with a hammer. I just sat down at the table holding my head and in my mind I was saying 'something's not right here'. My son asked if I was ok and I told him no, I have a bad headache, I'm going to try to lay down a minute to see if it passes. I could not lay down more than 30 seconds before I became nauseated. I sat up on the side of the bed and told my son I've got to go to the emergency room. We got to the emergency room about 6 minutes from my home and I started vomiting. They rushed me in to get a CAT scan, realizing I had a ruptured aneurysm which this hospital could not treat. They rushed me to the best hospital in this area for this, where they immediately went to work on me. My doctor said they did the coiling procedure but while they were doing it I passed a clot, which they had to fix before they could finish the coiling. The first 5 days following I don't remember anything, everyone said I was corresponding but drowsily. I lost no mental or mobile functions. I was in the ICU for 2 weeks, then sent home. I went back to working remote the next day with no issues as far as remembering my duties. The only issues after the aneurysm was panic attacks and short term memory loss. I went back to get an angiogram 6 months later and I was told that the aneurysm was filling with blood again. On November 8, 2013 I was back to get the coiling procedure done again. I still only have panic attacks and short term memory lost. I have to go back in 3 months this time to get another angiogram.

Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?