Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.

Comment from: john01, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I experienced a ruptured brain aneurysm in late 2001. I had been working out with weights in the shed at about 9 pm, and it was cold. My partner heard like a snoring noise outside, she opened the door and I was unconscious on the ground with my head in the dog bowl. I woke up in the hospital 2 weeks later with my family by my side after undergoing an artery clipping. Three months later I had coiling for the other aneurysms. I wouldn't be here to tell my tale if my partner hadn't opened the back door that night. I am in my 50s now, take medications and live a relatively normal life, I have been fortunate.

Comment from: Tassy Tank, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 14

At the start of this month (June 2016), my lovely wife was getting ready for a bath, when all of a sudden she said she felt this weird bubbly warm feeling at the back of her head, just above her neck. She put it down to tiredness and headed off to the bathroom. Seconds later she started screaming that her head was on fire and started vomiting into the toilet. I raced into the bathroom and asked what I could do to help, she begged me to run cold water over her head and neck in the shower as she bent over. I did this, and asked her if it was helping at all, she said yes, then no, threw up some more and collapsed into the shower enclosure, breathing like someone snoring in a deep sleep. I called the emergency services and she was taken to our local hospital where they did a CT scan and confirmed a diagnosis of subarachnoid hemorrhage. Later that night she was transferred by Air Ambulance to our capital city's hospital where they put a drain in the brain aneurysm and attempted to stop the bleeding, which unfortunately failed. She never regained consciousness, and the ventilator was switched off 3 days later.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 17

My mom who had just turned 53 had a fatal brain aneurysm in January 2016. We have no idea if she felt anything beforehand, she just collapsed and was blue within about a minute.

Comment from: theresalynne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I had a headache for several days and finally went to the emergency room. They told me I had a sinus infection and sent me home. The next couple days were horrible as my headache wouldn't go away. Then my boyfriend at the time found me on the floor having a seizure and I couldn't move my left side. He rushed me to the doctor, and at this point I couldn't walk. The same doctor that told me I had a sinus infection told me I had blood on the brain after taking blood and another CT scan. They life-flighted me, where I had emergency surgery for brain aneurysm. It has been almost five years, and I have already been through an operation fixing the plate and screw in my head, now on May 17 I am going again to fix the headaches I've been having for the last five years.

Comment from: Marine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

November 2012, I was 45 years old with a responsible job, at the peak of my career and studies, when I suffered a brain bleed, later known to me as a subarachnoid hemorrhage. I was at gym when it happened and it felt as if someone made fire in my brain. I felt the moisture running in my brain for a few split seconds and I thought I was going to die. I lost consciousness, my speech and was paralyzed for e few hours. Luckily for me I was taken to hospital very soon and a week later underwent open brain surgery followed by a cerebral angiogram 3 months later to coil the other 2 brain aneurisms I had. Today I realize how lucky I am to be alive. I kept my job but it was not easy. I have no visible damage but the emotional damage was overwhelming and I lost a lot of confidence. My short term memory was almost non-existent. Three years down the line I am much better and so grateful that I got a second chance. I look at life differently, appreciate things more and am much more tolerant.

Comment from: lesley w., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

June 8, 2015 we were on a family holiday when we stopped for a coffee. I picked up my 15 month old granddaughter when I felt a pop on the right side of my head. I put her down as dizziness, blurred vision and the worst headache of my life engulfed me. As I had a stiff neck and numbness down my right side I believed I had a pinched nerve so took painkillers and as I didn't want to spoil the trip for my family we carried on. No amount of painkillers helped my head and I had trouble with my eyes and felt dizzy all the time. I don't remember much about the holiday and on our return I went to my chiropractor. He refused to treat me and insisted I go to the hospital immediately. After CAT scans I was told I had 3 aneurysms and was transferred to a major hospital where I was examined by an angiogram the next day. They coiled 2 of the aneurysms that day and clipped the third the following day as it was quite large and had a large neck, and it had also ruptured. I have had several seizures since and still have 2 smaller aneurysms that are being monitored. Although I know I'm lucky to be alive I still struggle with day to day life, I'm unable to drive and feel fatigued most of the time. I am fearful the 2 remaining aneurysms will require treatment. I have improved over the last 6 months and I'm trying to stay positive I will make a full recovery.

Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?