Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.

Comment from: Marine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

November 2012, I was 45 years old with a responsible job, at the peak of my career and studies, when I suffered a brain bleed, later known to me as a subarachnoid hemorrhage. I was at gym when it happened and it felt as if someone made fire in my brain. I felt the moisture running in my brain for a few split seconds and I thought I was going to die. I lost consciousness, my speech and was paralyzed for e few hours. Luckily for me I was taken to hospital very soon and a week later underwent open brain surgery followed by a cerebral angiogram 3 months later to coil the other 2 brain aneurisms I had. Today I realize how lucky I am to be alive. I kept my job but it was not easy. I have no visible damage but the emotional damage was overwhelming and I lost a lot of confidence. My short term memory was almost non-existent. Three years down the line I am much better and so grateful that I got a second chance. I look at life differently, appreciate things more and am much more tolerant.

Comment from: lesley w., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

June 8, 2015 we were on a family holiday when we stopped for a coffee. I picked up my 15 month old granddaughter when I felt a pop on the right side of my head. I put her down as dizziness, blurred vision and the worst headache of my life engulfed me. As I had a stiff neck and numbness down my right side I believed I had a pinched nerve so took painkillers and as I didn't want to spoil the trip for my family we carried on. No amount of painkillers helped my head and I had trouble with my eyes and felt dizzy all the time. I don't remember much about the holiday and on our return I went to my chiropractor. He refused to treat me and insisted I go to the hospital immediately. After CAT scans I was told I had 3 aneurysms and was transferred to a major hospital where I was examined by an angiogram the next day. They coiled 2 of the aneurysms that day and clipped the third the following day as it was quite large and had a large neck, and it had also ruptured. I have had several seizures since and still have 2 smaller aneurysms that are being monitored. Although I know I'm lucky to be alive I still struggle with day to day life, I'm unable to drive and feel fatigued most of the time. I am fearful the 2 remaining aneurysms will require treatment. I have improved over the last 6 months and I'm trying to stay positive I will make a full recovery.

Comment from: thomas b., 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 05

My son died within 25 minutes of saying he had a terrible pain in his head. Then he was sick and died in my arms. He had subarachnoid hemorrhage from a brain aneurysm.

Comment from: Lmunday, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I suffered a subarachnoid hemorrhage caused by brain aneurysm on December 7, 2013. I felt fine until I bent over and my head exploded and I had the worst headache ever! Then I started throwing up. I had never had a migraine before, so I thought maybe that's what was happening. After several hours of intense pain, I finally was taken to the hospital where they did a CT scan and immediately called for a helicopter to transport me to a hospital. There, the doctor immediately operated and performed a coil embolization. After one week, my body started salt wasting which was scary. Finally, after 10 days in ICU and 2 nights on a step down floor, I was able to go home. The blood that drained from my brain had pooled at my tailbone, so it was hard to get up or down. It took a while for my body to reabsorb that blood. Recovery took a while, but I've now had two cerebral angiograms, and I'm doing great! I'm thankful to be alive!

Comment from: Arkansas patient, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I had a slow bleed brain aneurysm when I was 58 years of age. The onset was a sudden pain that flashed fully from my head down my spine, and immediate nausea. I was able to drive some 15 or 20 minutes to my house, didn't remember how I got in the garage, and couldn't get out of the car once there. After my husband got me inside on the bed, I dry heaved into a bowl and knew nothing more until I woke up in the hospital about to have surgery (coiling procedure at a base of the brain aneurysm). I was in ICU for two weeks, and on a regular hospital floor for one week. I returned to work after five weeks, with no residuals except to rebuild my strength from being bed-ridden for the time I was. I had migraine headaches before the aneurysm with some frequency. Now, not so much, in fact, they are rare. I am on blood pressure medicine now and was before the aneurysm. I was emotionally upset and fearful when mine hit because I was out in bad weather and trying to get home before (as it turns out) a tornado hit.

Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?