Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.

Comment from: sandi 63, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

Last year I was driving with friends when a clapping type of headache came on. I was throwing up and began to lose vision. I went to the hospital and had a CT scan, and found a cerebral hemorrhage. I woke up learning that there were brain aneurysms, a total of three in my head, perhaps due to smoking. They clipped them and I am still on medications. I suffered a stroke had a quick recovery however I have severe agitation and short term memory loss.

Comment from: Gloria, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

In 2010 I had 5 brain aneurysms. It was a good thing I went to the emergency room. When I did they scheduled a CAT scan then an MRA to see how big they were. The next day I had an angiogram. They coiled the largest one that measured at 15mm then two months later I had open brain surgery for an aneurysm on my front right side that measured at 5mm. They then inserted a clip for that one. Then 10 months later I had open brain surgery on my left side for another that measured at 4mm. They clipped that one as well. I had 3 strokes after the second surgery when I was still at the hospital recovering. The only effect I had from the stroke was my speech and weakness. After all of that I'm doing just fine. I still have 2 left but they"re small. I get MRAs every two years.

Comment from: Sarah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have had headaches all my life but I was at work one night and had tons of pressure in my head and a hurting neck. I am a stubborn woman and didn't want to leave work but my boss came to me about 3 hours later and said I looked bad, pale and my eyes looked funny. He suggested that I needed to go to the hospital but I said no I will be ok. Half an hour later he came back and pretty much demanded I go, so I went. I had a CAT scan about thirty minutes later and then I had to go to the restroom. I had double vision and then it felt like I was stabbed in the head! I finally made it to the door and fell in the floor! I was diagnosed with 5 aneurysms! For 3 weeks the doctor went up through my leg to stop the vasospasms and then the fourth week I had brain surgery. They clipped the two that were on the left side and two weeks later I was released and now I have to go tomorrow to see what to do with the other three!

Comment from: libra, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I suffered with subarachnoid hemorrhage 4 days after my 50th birthday last year October 18, 2013. I woke up with a terrible headache. I took ibuprofen 800, it did not go away. My next instinct was to take my blood pressure and it was too high 176/126 and a HR of 147. I knew something was wrong. I don't have issues with high blood pressure but my husband has BP medications so I took one and took 2 tums because I wanted to vomit. When I tried getting up, I couldn't bear the pain in my head. They brought me to a nearby hospital and found out that I had bleeding in my brain and they cannot do a surgery there. They airlifted me to another hospital. At first the doctor said, he will do the coiling but after a series of tests, he told my husband, they need to do craniotomy and put a clip on the bleeding because the aneurysm ruptured. It was a 4 hour surgery. Fortunately, I was restored without any residuals. But, despite that, I still feel scared at times. I am back to work part time. My next appointment for MRI and CT scan will be on the 3rd of March. They still need to watch out another bulge that did not rupture. My grandmother died of stroke in the 80s. Many said that she might have died of brain aneurysm. So , my doctors said if someone in your family have it, have the immediate family check.

Comment from: lynnie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I had SAH (subarachnoid hemorrhage) in July 2011, I had just turned 50. My sister had died of one 17 years prior, but was told then that SAH was not hereditary. I had extreme headache around the top of my head (Headaches are not normal for me.) I drove myself to the hospital, barely, they did a CT scan and saw blood in brain, airlifted me to a major hospital for coiling. I stayed there for about 2 weeks monitoring vasospasms. I have had 3 invasive checks of the coiling since then, all clear. I'm happy to be here. Be your own consumer patient advocate when something doesn't feel right.

Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?