Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.

Comment from: elizabeth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I have been having severe eye pain on and off for the past two and a half years. I have consulted the ophthalmologist who kept telling me it is due to dryness in the eye. A month ago when I lost my glasses I went to the optician who tested my eyes and noticed I had almost lost vision in my left eye. My nightmare of brain aneurysm started and ended with coiling and a flow diverter stent put in!

Comment from: no name, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 09

My husband suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm on Jan 13, 2013. I came home from work and found him on the living home floor. I asked him what was wrong and he told me he had the worst headache he had ever had. I gave him ibuprofen and was told he had trouble swallowing. He also told me he had pain on the back of his neck. I called our doctor and he told me to take him to the emergency department (ED). They found a ruptured aneurysm and it could not be coiled. He had surgery and had to have it clipped. During surgery another aneurysm burst which had to be clipped. I got him to the ED early enough that he was able to fully recover except for short term memory loss. He does have mood swings but he was able to go back to work. I was wondering if the aneurysm could cause some kind of dementia later in his life.

Comment from: Marilyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had a ruptured brain aneurism on November 1, 2013. It started as terrible pain in the back of my head, I thought I was having a stroke. The CAT scan showed the bleed. I was rushed to a major hospital for surgery. The bleed was coiled and I spent two weeks in ICU. My major problem is dealing with constant pain in my buttocks and legs, memory loss, and fatigue. Other than that I consider myself very lucky having survived. I go for physical therapy three times a week with the hope of getting back my strength and relief for the pain.

Comment from: sandi 63, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

Last year I was driving with friends when a clapping type of headache came on. I was throwing up and began to lose vision. I went to the hospital and had a CT scan, and found a cerebral hemorrhage. I woke up learning that there were brain aneurysms, a total of three in my head, perhaps due to smoking. They clipped them and I am still on medications. I suffered a stroke had a quick recovery however I have severe agitation and short term memory loss.

Comment from: Gloria, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

In 2010 I had 5 brain aneurysms. It was a good thing I went to the emergency room. When I did they scheduled a CAT scan then an MRA to see how big they were. The next day I had an angiogram. They coiled the largest one that measured at 15mm then two months later I had open brain surgery for an aneurysm on my front right side that measured at 5mm. They then inserted a clip for that one. Then 10 months later I had open brain surgery on my left side for another that measured at 4mm. They clipped that one as well. I had 3 strokes after the second surgery when I was still at the hospital recovering. The only effect I had from the stroke was my speech and weakness. After all of that I'm doing just fine. I still have 2 left but they"re small. I get MRAs every two years.

Comment from: Sarah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have had headaches all my life but I was at work one night and had tons of pressure in my head and a hurting neck. I am a stubborn woman and didn't want to leave work but my boss came to me about 3 hours later and said I looked bad, pale and my eyes looked funny. He suggested that I needed to go to the hospital but I said no I will be ok. Half an hour later he came back and pretty much demanded I go, so I went. I had a CAT scan about thirty minutes later and then I had to go to the restroom. I had double vision and then it felt like I was stabbed in the head! I finally made it to the door and fell in the floor! I was diagnosed with 5 aneurysms! For 3 weeks the doctor went up through my leg to stop the vasospasms and then the fourth week I had brain surgery. They clipped the two that were on the left side and two weeks later I was released and now I have to go tomorrow to see what to do with the other three!

Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?