Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.

Comment from: c wood, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

Without the slightest warning at the age of 36 I had a ruptured brain aneurysm. My head felt like it was in a vice I was constantly sick, and I could not move my neck. I was taken to the local hospital and then moved to the best place to be if you are unlucky enough to get one, The Western General Edinburgh. I was operated on for about 5 hours, and coils were used to stem the bleeding. I made a full recovery. That was 8 years ago and I am grateful that due to the help I received I am still here with my children and husband. It is important to know this condition does not always mean death or disability.

Comment from: A loving friend, 55-64 Female Published: November 09

In early November 2009, a young, 60-year old, energetic and full of the zest of life woman, was gardening in her yard and suffered a massive brain aneurysm. She was found unconscious in the yard, with perhaps 10-minutes passing from when last interacted with. CPR was administered, till the ambulance arrived and transported her to the hospital. She was not breathing. At the hospital, an emergency procedure was attempted that doctors may have called a "CAP", said was only successful 10% of the time and that she may not live through the night. The next day, after no responses, assisted breathing and no 'lower brain' activity, the decision was made to pull the life support, after the doctor's signing of a death certificate and waiting 12-hours more to coordinate organ donor removing. There were no apparent signs of its impending arrival and likely not much that could have been done to prevent it. A tragic and sudden loss of a wonderful life was shockingly realized. Yet..., one can also feel a sense of peace, with a twinkling in the eye, how unfair these circumstances are. She got to live a wonderfully, robust and excitingly, charmed life and then was allowed to 'pass' in such a smooth, sudden fashion, with no prolonged pain, anguish or second thoughts about it. With that in mind, though dearly missed already, since we all have to go, truly, what a fittingly lovely and quick way for it to happen. It was just 30-years too soon.

Comment from: seve53, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 28

I suffered a ruptured aneurysm 1/26/06 and what they say is true: It was the worst headache I ever had. I was rushed to the hospital and after a CT scan, I was flown to Dartmouth Hitchcock where I had surgery. The operation was long and didn`t remember anything for a couple of weeks. I suffered a stroke from the operation which has left my right side useless. They also found another aneurysm on the other side which I had operated on in 2008, and this one went well. I still suffer with the right side of my body and at 56 it is hard to deal with not being able to work.

Comment from: Rashima, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: September 10

My Dad aged 87 suffered from a brain Aneurysm on the 14th of April. A clipping was performed on him through surgery. He came out fine and was not even on a ventilator but 2 days later went into a coma like state and remained like that for 3 weeks remaining on the ventilator. He then developed pulmonary infection and has only come to the room for a period of 2 weeks where he spoke audibly and would smile. It didn't last long and he is again in the ICU. Today he does not know who he is, does not recognize anyone, cannot read, write or speak audibly. It is August 17th and he still needs to be on the ventilator off and on so he cannot be sent to the room. I feel so helpless, he just stares and has no idea where he is or who comes to visit him. He is fed through a peg tube from the stomach and has a catheter attached for urine. I am his daughter his main caregiver and I just go twice a day to the hospital hoping for a miracle where he would remember me.

Comment from: Rashima, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: August 18

Comment from: Carrie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

Two and a half years ago I had an attack and till this day the doctors haven't figured it out. I was going in and out of consciousness, I could see then I couldn't, blackouts went on the entire time I had my attack. During the attack, I felt a hot sensation go up the back of my head, felt like a hot flame inside my head. My eyes at that point felt like they kept crossing. I then didn't know my own name, where I was and I was home, and worst of all my boyfriend's name; I just didn't know who he was. I was ambulanced to the hospital and they didn't find anything. I'm still searching for answers, whether it was a stroke, an Alzheimer attack, or brain aneurysm, etc. Till this day I have no answers and it has changed my life. I have problems now with my vision, bad anxiety, PTSD, and OCD. I'm just dizzy and weak all the time. I hope I get answers.

Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?