Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.

Comment from: Rashima, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: September 10

My Dad aged 87 suffered from a brain Aneurysm on the 14th of April. A clipping was performed on him through surgery. He came out fine and was not even on a ventilator but 2 days later went into a coma like state and remained like that for 3 weeks remaining on the ventilator. He then developed pulmonary infection and has only come to the room for a period of 2 weeks where he spoke audibly and would smile. It didn't last long and he is again in the ICU. Today he does not know who he is, does not recognize anyone, cannot read, write or speak audibly. It is August 17th and he still needs to be on the ventilator off and on so he cannot be sent to the room. I feel so helpless, he just stares and has no idea where he is or who comes to visit him. He is fed through a peg tube from the stomach and has a catheter attached for urine. I am his daughter his main caregiver and I just go twice a day to the hospital hoping for a miracle where he would remember me.

Comment from: Rashima, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: August 18

Comment from: Carrie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

Two and a half years ago I had an attack and till this day the doctors haven't figured it out. I was going in and out of consciousness, I could see then I couldn't, blackouts went on the entire time I had my attack. During the attack, I felt a hot sensation go up the back of my head, felt like a hot flame inside my head. My eyes at that point felt like they kept crossing. I then didn't know my own name, where I was and I was home, and worst of all my boyfriend's name; I just didn't know who he was. I was ambulanced to the hospital and they didn't find anything. I'm still searching for answers, whether it was a stroke, an Alzheimer attack, or brain aneurysm, etc. Till this day I have no answers and it has changed my life. I have problems now with my vision, bad anxiety, PTSD, and OCD. I'm just dizzy and weak all the time. I hope I get answers.

Comment from: Isobel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I had a dissection of left internal carotid artery when I was 31. I had intense headache for some days, with unequal pupils. It resulted in Horner's syndrome, and now I seem to have some neuralgia, making me rub the left side of my scalp, and I get a sudden pain in the left side of my neck. My pupils continue to react to light at different speed.

Comment from: Diana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I had bad headaches and I have a stent on my right side behind my right eye. I had it done two years ago. It saved me I have another brain aneurysm on my left. I check it from time to time it's a number 3 or 4 now. I hope I don't have to go through with 3 angiograms like before. They found the first one on time it was a size 10, but I am here now and wanted to share my story. It was hard and still is.

Comment from: Louise, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I had a brain aneurysm and my surgeon decided, because of the location and the shape, with the coiling. My procedure was on July 9th and I have yet heard back from my surgeon for a follow-up or a scan. I have headaches every day and sometime very severe.

Comment from: Jean, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

In January 2013 I had endovascular coiling to repair an 11 mm basilar tip aneurysm. Immediately after I began suffering from fatigue. Some days it was all I could do to get up. I also found that the things I used to love to do held absolutely no interest for me. It's now a year and a half later and not much has changed. I still have no interest in the hobbies I used to love. The fatigue is still a major problem, yesterday I saw a new doctor who believes the coiled aneurysm may be pressing on the area of my brain dealing with fatigue and serotonin production. He prescribed a new medicine to see if it helps.

Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?