Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.

Comment from: Jody, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I have two brain aneurysms. One was 11 1/2 mm, which I had fixed yesterday, behind my left eye. I have had a slight headache behind my left eye. I was wondering what the side effects are if any and how long they can last.

Comment from: Sonnyj88, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I had a ruptured aneurysm which then caused a stroke. I can't say I had symptoms until it ruptured and I had terrible headache with vomiting.

Comment from: Daleen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I survived a brain aneurysm operation. I had severe headaches for two weeks, spent five months in the hospital. I had coiling of the aneurysm. Now after 2 years, I have headaches again, severe outbursts, fighting.

Comment from: Eilrahc81, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 07

I am writing this blog for my mom. She has been retired for about eight years. She walks a lot, minimum exercise, semi-healthy diet and she does not take any medications but she is a diabetic. About two weeks ago she passed out in the store and bumped her head on the ground. When she came to she was in the hospital. She no idea what happened. The doctors explained she suffered an aneurysm. She thought she had a stroke but did not. An aneurysm has stroke like symptoms. We are blessed. My mom does have any brain damage. She doesn't have signs of having an aneurysm. Now she has a few medications to take. I can't think of all the meds she takes but I know takes a pill for spasms. The staff at the hospital was wonderful. Even the employees at the store with their quick response helped saved her life.

Comment from: Ranger C, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

In December of 2012 I suffered a brain aneurysm. I was vomiting, with a severe headache. My husband drove me to the hospital. The doctor knew that my surgery needed two doctors and I was transported by emergency helicopter to another local hospital. The surgeons did a groin coil (endovascular coiling), and I spent 12 days in the hospital. I do not remember the hospital stay or helicopter ride. I was allowed to go home with no medications, disabilities, or permanent memory loss. Ten days after I went home I walked two to six miles every day. Four months after my surgery, I returned to work with light duty. Everyone says I am a walking miracle.

Comment from: dragonslayer, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 28

I dodged a bullet last year. My aneurysm partially ruptured and I crashed into a guardrail on a small back road. I survived that and was able to call for help. I waited for about 40 minutes for help to arrive, and another 30 minutes later I was at my first stop on the road to treatment. The medical center I was at transported me by air to another hospital. After several surgeries (42 days later) I walked out of the hospital on my own. Many thanks to the doctors who saved my life. I have very few problems and have been back at my job for eight months.

Comment from: humnbyrdvp, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 11

My daughter had surgery April 8, 2009 to clip three aneurysms. On Dec. 15, my son had an aneurysm rupture. Actually he had 4 aneurysms. One ruptured, they coiled 2, and one was too deep in his brain stem to get to. He passed away on December 26, 2009. Now the surgeon who did the surgery on my daughter wants to retest her to make sure she doesn't have any more.

Comment from: puddin5551, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

My mother had a severe headache and I took her to the local hospital where they did a CT scan. It was an aneurysm, which broke and was bleeding inside her head. She underwent brain surgery, but there is some damage, and she does not remember things sometimes. I have recently had an aneurysm coiled, and now I find out there are two smaller ones. I try not to think about it, but even when I get the slightest headache, it drives me mad! I am 51 and I'm about to welcome my first grandchild, so I hope we can fix things soon!

Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?