Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.

Comment from: Stacy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I had a ruptured berry aneurysm in 1990 at age 23. My experience was a headache that I had all day that wasn't terrible for hours, but then while lying down, it suddenly got worse, and I immediately became nauseous. I have had migraine headaches all my life, but this was worse than any migraine I had ever had. I felt as if I had to hold my head together because it was going to split open. My heart began to pound like it was going to come out of my chest, and I was having trouble speaking. I called a friend to take me to the hospital. When I arrived, my blood pressure was extremely high. My doctor was very good and knew immediately that I needed a spinal tap. It was positive, and I went up to the ICU. Then I had the arteriogram. I was in surgery two days later, and I left the hospital 10 days later. I had some loss of eye function, but it resolved after a year with exercises. I had a few seizures and was on antiepileptic drugs for about three years, but I have been off of them and seizure-free since then. I have had little long-term effects, although I still have migraines. I had hoped that was the reason I was having them and that they would go away, but I am really happy just to be alive.

Comment from: Jody, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I have two brain aneurysms. One was 11 1/2 mm, which I had fixed yesterday, behind my left eye. I have had a slight headache behind my left eye. I was wondering what the side effects are if any and how long they can last.

Comment from: Sonnyj88, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I had a ruptured aneurysm which then caused a stroke. I can't say I had symptoms until it ruptured and I had terrible headache with vomiting.

Comment from: Daleen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I survived a brain aneurysm operation. I had severe headaches for two weeks, spent five months in the hospital. I had coiling of the aneurysm. Now after 2 years, I have headaches again, severe outbursts, fighting.

Comment from: Eilrahc81, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 07

I am writing this blog for my mom. She has been retired for about eight years. She walks a lot, minimum exercise, semi-healthy diet and she does not take any medications but she is a diabetic. About two weeks ago she passed out in the store and bumped her head on the ground. When she came to she was in the hospital. She no idea what happened. The doctors explained she suffered an aneurysm. She thought she had a stroke but did not. An aneurysm has stroke like symptoms. We are blessed. My mom does have any brain damage. She doesn't have signs of having an aneurysm. Now she has a few medications to take. I can't think of all the meds she takes but I know takes a pill for spasms. The staff at the hospital was wonderful. Even the employees at the store with their quick response helped saved her life.

Comment from: Ranger C, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

In December of 2012 I suffered a brain aneurysm. I was vomiting, with a severe headache. My husband drove me to the hospital. The doctor knew that my surgery needed two doctors and I was transported by emergency helicopter to another local hospital. The surgeons did a groin coil (endovascular coiling), and I spent 12 days in the hospital. I do not remember the hospital stay or helicopter ride. I was allowed to go home with no medications, disabilities, or permanent memory loss. Ten days after I went home I walked two to six miles every day. Four months after my surgery, I returned to work with light duty. Everyone says I am a walking miracle.

Comment from: dragonslayer, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 28

I dodged a bullet last year. My aneurysm partially ruptured and I crashed into a guardrail on a small back road. I survived that and was able to call for help. I waited for about 40 minutes for help to arrive, and another 30 minutes later I was at my first stop on the road to treatment. The medical center I was at transported me by air to another hospital. After several surgeries (42 days later) I walked out of the hospital on my own. Many thanks to the doctors who saved my life. I have very few problems and have been back at my job for eight months.

Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?