Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.

Comment from: Wat If, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I've never had issues with headache other than when my period is on occasionally. My tolerance for pain is very high, I've always refused to go to the doctor/emergency room when I'm not well. The night of May 1, 2013 my son had cooked dinner, I walked in the kitchen to prepare some gravy and bam! It felt like someone struck me in my temple with a hammer. I just sat down at the table holding my head and in my mind I was saying 'something's not right here'. My son asked if I was ok and I told him no, I have a bad headache, I'm going to try to lay down a minute to see if it passes. I could not lay down more than 30 seconds before I became nauseated. I sat up on the side of the bed and told my son I've got to go to the emergency room. We got to the emergency room about 6 minutes from my home and I started vomiting. They rushed me in to get a CAT scan, realizing I had a ruptured aneurysm which this hospital could not treat. They rushed me to the best hospital in this area for this, where they immediately went to work on me. My doctor said they did the coiling procedure but while they were doing it I passed a clot, which they had to fix before they could finish the coiling. The first 5 days following I don't remember anything, everyone said I was corresponding but drowsily. I lost no mental or mobile functions. I was in the ICU for 2 weeks, then sent home. I went back to working remote the next day with no issues as far as remembering my duties. The only issues after the aneurysm was panic attacks and short term memory loss. I went back to get an angiogram 6 months later and I was told that the aneurysm was filling with blood again. On November 8, 2013 I was back to get the coiling procedure done again. I still only have panic attacks and short term memory lost. I have to go back in 3 months this time to get another angiogram.

Comment from: Dazzelfire59, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

In 2004 I had a ruptured aneurysm that I woke up to which left my left side paralyzed. It took many years to learn to walk and use my left side at all. In 2010 I was told by my neurologist that they found an aneurysm behind my right eye. (Cerebral aneurysm - often with this it is said they find in an autopsy.) I woke up to half my hair gone and cut from for head to ear then from muscle around right eye to get to the aneurysm. Mine is an inherited kind. Lucky me, I walked out of the hospital on the 3rd morning which most say takes 2 weeks. The worst thing was migraines even today and bad eye sight; and a lumpy head.

Comment from: sheila, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

When my aneurism burst I got dizzy and sick with my stomach. I lay down and went to sleep for a while, when I awoke I wasn't dizzy any more but I had a bad head ache for 6 days. I assumed I had caught the flu, I had been around friends who simultaneously got the flu from each other. I had never had bad headaches and this was the worst. My mom suffered from migraines so I thought I was going to be like mom with migraines. I was wrong; on the 6th day in the early morning paralysis started setting in and my tummy got upset. An ambulance was called and for the next 23 days I spent in intensive care with a touch and go prognosis. They had discovered the problem with a spinal tap and an MRI; they treated me for high blood pressure, apparently it is what caused it to burst. They coiled it 3 times, apparently my veins on the brain are tiny. I am now receiving annual angiograms to monitor a second aneurism on the opposite side that has not burst. It is potentially fatal because of the area it is in and I've been told that I will experience very different symptoms.

Comment from: daBABY, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm on December 21st of last year. I woke early needing to go to the restroom, but was dizzy and nauseous as soon as I opened my eyes. I had no headache. I vomited several times but had to have help walking. My husband and son took me to the local hospital where I had a CT-scan, which revealed bleeding in my brain. I was transported to another hospital with a neurosurgeon. He cauterized the artery and saved my life. I have some troubles with balance and my left hand is shaky; but no lasting damage!

Comment from: Misty, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My grandmother passed away in her fifties from an aneurysm and my father also had passed away from an aneurysm at the age of 48. I started having really bad headache last year and contacted my doctor to have tests done to check if I might have an aneurysm since I heard they might be hereditary. This is when I found out at the age of 33 that I do in fact have a brain aneurysm in my brain stem. They said it is not yet big enough to do anything about; they have to wait until it is 3mm big before anything can be done. It is very scary to live with something like this, even though my doctor said to continue with my daily life as normal. I was in the hospital last September because my head felt like it was going to burst like someone was taking a bat to it. They did a spinal tap to see if the aneurysm was bleeding but thankfully it was not. They stated it was just a bad migraine. So right now they just monitor it and I am not supposed to go back until 2014 for another CTA or angiogram. I take it day by day and hope for the best!

Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?