Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.

Comment from: Maddy110589, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

My case is kind of odd. I had an unruptured brain aneurysm when I was 18 in my senior year of high school. I was in the class right before lunch and I started getting a headache and I was losing my peripheral vision. It felt like if you would have stood up too fast and got a head rush but it was constant. I didn't think much of it and when I went to lunch I starting to lose my motor skills and I kept tripping up on my words. My friends didn't understand what was going on so they just laughed. Then I stated to forget names and couldn't match anything with a name. I did not know what anything was but I knew my relationship with them. I couldn't remember my friends' names or anything about them but I knew they were my friends. I started crying and panicking because I was so frustrated and they got the clue that it was something serious. I had one of them go and get a teacher and help carry me to the high school nurse because my legs and balance were very off. Luckily my friend was there because I did not know any of my teachers' names and I couldn't speak. Eventually my mother came to get me and all my symptoms subsided after a few hours. This happened about a year ago and it was one of the scariest moments of my life and I really hope it doesn't happen again.

Comment from: juliemael, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I am a 50 year old woman who survived a big bleed. I don't remember how big but it was real big. I got to a very good hospital in about 1 hour after it ruptured. I had a great doctor and nurses at Vanderbilt. My husband stayed by my side the whole 6 weeks I was in a coma. I don't remember it myself but was told by the nurses that took care of me. I had to go to rehab for a little but not long. Most of the things I could do before it happened I can do now. But that was almost 10 years ago. I thank God everyday I am alive now. For giving the doctors the knowledge to make me better and for all the answered prayers from family and friends. I did have headaches for about a year before it happened and had 3 ruptured disks in my neck I felt better after that surgery but started having headaches about 2 months. Went to doctor all the time for them and would just get some pain medication which I hated to take. I had my neck surgery in November and my brain aneurism ruptured in October. Nothing is really the same now, but I am alive.

Comment from: Daughter, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

My mother passed away five years ago from an aneurysm. She was 51 and very healthy. It was a shock to our whole family. She had the surgery, and then a few days later had a stroke. They then put her on life support. She stayed on life support for a few days, and then the doctors said that she didn't have any chance of coming back, so we let her go. Since my mom had an aneurysm, the doctor recommended that my sister and I get a CT scan, and we did. Turns out, I too have an aneurysm. It is small, and the doctors said I just need to watch it annually to see if it gets bigger. I'm only 25, and they said I will have to have surgery before I have kids. I pray that everything turns out OK.

Comment from: Jaime B, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My mother just recently passed of a brain Aneurysm she was only 47 years old and I did not catch onto the symptoms I just thought she was getting crazier in her old age. I miss her like crazy and I am still trying to figure out a way to get the word out about this illness if anyone has any answers to what I can do to get the word out please let me know. This is the worst thing that could have happened to my mom because she was so young and no one even saw it coming. My whole family was shocked including me when she fell. We took her to the emergency room and they told us there was nothing that they could do for her because the rupture was so large I never imagined not having my mom at 22 and I want to be able to educate people of this illness.

Comment from: Lucky, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I survived a brain aneurysm it was huge 25mm in size. They put 3 clips in my head, and went in through my head. I am 3 months healing now at home. I have limitations now and for the rest of my life, like no stress, no caffeine, no forcing, no lifting, and no bending my head down. I am sure you all know of these limitations, because I am prone to having a stroke if I do not follow these simple rules.

Comment from: Michelle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I had to be operated on. There was already bleeding in my brain. It started with migraines then one day I just fell down. I was lucky they diagnosed me in time. The operation and recovery period were terrible. When I woke up after the operation I was in so much pain. My head felt swollen and ready to burst. I felt like I was on my death bed and I was going to die. It took me 6 weeks before I could stand up and months to feel myself again. I never tell anyone about it because they treat you like a freak. I now suffer from epilepsy. I don't wish that experience or pain on anyone.

Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?