Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.

Comment from: Jean, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I was diagnosed with a brain aneurysm back in May of 2013. I continued to have fainting spells. I was taken the hospital where surgery to clip it was performed. I was then sent to rehab because I suffered from memory loss. I am still experiencing symptoms so I have been scheduled for another CT scan on December 16th.

Comment from: Seras, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 01

My mother died at age 51 of an undiagnosed aneurysm the day after Christmas. She had been an airline stewardess for years and had a heart murmur from scarlet fever. Her symptoms were very strange. For at least 6 months she had a low grade fever almost every day, also a severe cough plus dizzy spells and confusion. The doctors at our clinic thought it was tuberculosis and then they said maybe it was just in her mind.

Comment from: djcorrigan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had an aneurysm in 1998. The doctor explained while he operating it in the brain it burst 4 times and when another one started to form he packed in cotton and closed me up thinking since it was deep in the middle of the brain I would not wake up and will be in bad shape. I came out in great shape and have been doing well for the past 15 years. I have got my left eye working with lots of willpower.

Comment from: Carrie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I suffered from mild headaches nearly my entire adult life and it was misdiagnosed as migraines. One evening without warning, I collapsed. I recall waking up with the worst headache I'd ever experienced. After nearly two days, my husband took me to the ER. I was diagnosed with a ruptured aneurysm. I was transported to another hospital and had several surgeries. I was told I had a total of seven aneurysms. Other than a daily struggle with short-term memory loss, I seem to be doing well. God is truly amazing.

Comment from: momo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I suffered a large brain hemorrhage in September 2008. I think I survived due to quick treatment at the hospital and luck! My recovery has been very slow I think due to the extent of the hemorrhage, but I'm thankful to be here. Time does make all the difference to this and a positive attitude. It all happened when I went to the gym, started my class, then stayed conscious long enough to raise the alarm and explain my symptoms. I knew it was serious. After that I remember nothing and was in hospital for 1 month. I do have two more unruptured aneurysms and have been told not to worry about them as they are tiny. But I think about them often.

Comment from: 7yrsandcounting, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I have 3 unruptured aneurysms. One coiled in 2002, one they stented in 2006 because it was a wide-neck but they were unable to coil, and one just found that they will monitor. It is still a learning process for the doctors, but they continue to improve the treatment methods. Like one person who posted, I have occasional odd symptoms that they can't associate to the aneurysms. You learn to appreciate the time you have and be aware of possible symptoms, but you can't let it rule your life. I won't be going back for more treatments until my children are older...with all the improvements they made in the last 7 years, I will continue to monitor mine annually and maybe in 10 years or so they will be able to treat these even better. And thank you to those survivors who posted their stories as it does help to hear from them.

Comment from: Montana, 35-44 (Patient) Published: November 06

I have an unruptured 3 mm brain aneurysm in the center right artery. I am showing symptoms that I am told I should not be having. It is only now that I am learning about my condition and am having trouble finding any answers except for "wait and see." I have trouble comprehending new things I read, my short term memory is shot, I shake like crazy, and I see things and hear things that are not there (this only sometimes). I have pain in my head, neck and behind both eyes every day so bad that I wish I could take my eyes out! I have resulted to wearing sunglasses everywhere because the light is so painful! The doctor tells me it will not rupture and to live a normal life. I want so badly to be the active person that I am, but I would like to also live a bit longer.

Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?