Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I have a brain aneurysm and am waiting for surgery. I had an angiogram then in recovery I had a mini stroke that has left a blind spot in my right eye. I have a very sore neck and some headaches. I am quite worried because I have a brother and sister who had aneurysm that burst. The hospital is still making me wait even with our family history of brain disorders. Also my speech sometimes gets a little jumbled.

Comment from: Shelley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I've suffered two brain aneurysms, the first one 22 years ago whilst 5 months pregnant with my now 22 years old son. I've always had migraines but this one was different, so severe. I had it every day for about a week and the doctor thought it was because I was pregnant. Then one morning I passed out in the shower and they rushed me to the hospital. I don't remember about 3 weeks, the aneurysm had leaked but I had a great surgeon. I suffered a stroke after the operation but thankfully my son was born 4 months later and everything was ok. My left eye was closed and my left side weak. The second one was 3 years ago, I'm now 51. It was clipped as well and found when in emergency due to a migraine. My memory is not good and my personality has changed. I had a CT scan done a few weeks ago and it showed an area where my brain has died which explains my memory and emotions. It is very scary, I have no idea what might happen now.

Comment from: Mum to 4, 35-44 (Patient) Published: July 05

I had been diagnosed with labyrinthitis and given tablets to stop the dizziness and nausea and these tablets worked. I was told I might get better in weeks and if it wasn't cleared within 12 months I should go back to the specialist with suspected Meniere's disease. I was happy to know my condition was not life threatening and time went by (11 months), all the time things got worse and... I didn't really notice! That's a brain disorder for you! Moments of blindness, etc., saw me go to an eye test and from there I was fast tracked through to hospital with an un-ruptured 4.5 cm aneurysm. Only 1 headache in all that time, 2 days before I was taken to hospital. It was a bad headache and I believe it was the start of what would have been my demise. It's been 4 years now and there have been no consequences or setbacks to date. Thank goodness.

Comment from: 49 years old, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

On May 26, 2014 I had a subarachnoid hemorrhage. At 12:30 am I was up talking on the phone, I started to get a stabbing pain in my neck and a headache. I asked my family to call 911 immediately as I felt as though I was going to pass out. Thank goodness I live near one of the best and major hospitals, they did a CT scan and I can't remember much more than that I was brought to surgery that lasted 4 hours. The brain aneurysm was coiled. I was in ICU for 9 days I believe, some things I still can't remember. I have all types of therapy now, I don't think I obtained any permanent damage but I don't feel right. It has only been a month so it's too early to tell. I want to mention that I had a car accident just a few months prior to this, not sure if it could be related.

Comment from: David Gregory, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

I had a severe headache. My wife called Emergency Medical Services (EMS). That is the last thing I remember. She said I was down and out and having trouble breathing. EMS came quickly and they put in airway, etc. I was in hospital within the hour and had CT scan and brain aneurysm was found. Coiling was done and I was in ICU four days, on ventilator. They gave me 'gold pills' to keep blood pressure up and I woke up and was soon in the room. I don't remember much, but I do know that I am blessed to be alive. Great wife and doctors.

Comment from: elizabeth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I have been having severe eye pain on and off for the past two and a half years. I have consulted the ophthalmologist who kept telling me it is due to dryness in the eye. A month ago when I lost my glasses I went to the optician who tested my eyes and noticed I had almost lost vision in my left eye. My nightmare of brain aneurysm started and ended with coiling and a flow diverter stent put in!

Comment from: no name, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 09

My husband suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm on Jan 13, 2013. I came home from work and found him on the living home floor. I asked him what was wrong and he told me he had the worst headache he had ever had. I gave him ibuprofen and was told he had trouble swallowing. He also told me he had pain on the back of his neck. I called our doctor and he told me to take him to the emergency department (ED). They found a ruptured aneurysm and it could not be coiled. He had surgery and had to have it clipped. During surgery another aneurysm burst which had to be clipped. I got him to the ED early enough that he was able to fully recover except for short term memory loss. He does have mood swings but he was able to go back to work. I was wondering if the aneurysm could cause some kind of dementia later in his life.

Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?