Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.

Comment from: Seras, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 01

My mother died at age 51 of an undiagnosed aneurysm the day after Christmas. She had been an airline stewardess for years and had a heart murmur from scarlet fever. Her symptoms were very strange. For at least 6 months she had a low grade fever almost every day, also a severe cough plus dizzy spells and confusion. The doctors at our clinic thought it was tuberculosis and then they said maybe it was just in her mind.

Comment from: djcorrigan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had an aneurysm in 1998. The doctor explained while he operating it in the brain it burst 4 times and when another one started to form he packed in cotton and closed me up thinking since it was deep in the middle of the brain I would not wake up and will be in bad shape. I came out in great shape and have been doing well for the past 15 years. I have got my left eye working with lots of willpower.

Comment from: Carrie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I suffered from mild headaches nearly my entire adult life and it was misdiagnosed as migraines. One evening without warning, I collapsed. I recall waking up with the worst headache I'd ever experienced. After nearly two days, my husband took me to the ER. I was diagnosed with a ruptured aneurysm. I was transported to another hospital and had several surgeries. I was told I had a total of seven aneurysms. Other than a daily struggle with short-term memory loss, I seem to be doing well. God is truly amazing.

Comment from: Loving Son, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 16

My mother died of a Brain Aneurysm in April. She was 58. She always had headaches, but we never thought anything of them other than that they were just headaches. My father left the house early in the morning and my mom stated that she had the worst headache she has ever had. My Dad mentioned to her that she should go get checked out, so she thought she would give it a little while and go later. About an hour and a half later I was in my bedroom and I heard a loud scream and my mother collapsed in the bathroom. I immediately called 911 and she was in the hospital within 20 minutes of her collapsing, but it was too late she had passed away and only her motor functions were working. She left behind a husband of 36 years, three children and six grandchildren. All I can say is that if you have any doubt please go get checked by a doctor all it would take is a simple CT Scan and you could at least try to prevent this terrible disease.

Comment from: ivory, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

My mom died of a brain aneurysm on her brain stem. She was only 47 and at the time I was 16 this was the hardest and most horrific thing anyone could go through, it still affects me every day of my life because we were so close. It was sudden, the main artery on her stem, she was put on a ventilator and the doctor clamped it off. They put a shunt in her brain to relieve pressure (which drained into a cup) and of course it seemed she was getting better she went to a rehab hospital with a feeding tube and a trachea because she couldn't swallow; she got to where she knew who we were though. Then after almost a year in the hospital she started having strokes and an infection in her brain that just started to rage. Then she died after all that. They told me and my sisters to have CT scans but after that, I don't think I want to know if I do have one.

Comment from: PD, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

I have always had bad headaches but for the most part I can deal. March 08 I fainted in our kitchen and fell head first on our counter. My wife rushed me to the hospital. I was getting sick to my stomach. Once I saw the Doctor, they told me it could be my heart, I am type 2 diabetic, have hypertension and high cholesterol. When nothing was found with my heart, the ER Doctor became very short like I was wasting his time and was released. July 26 I was packing for a business trip and suddenly felt like someone hit me with a crowbar. I am 33 years old and have cried from a boo boo since I was 7, but I was weeping the pain was so bad. I could not even lift my head for a moment. The EMT was called and I was taken to the hospital. I was complaining about neck pain as well, so the EMT thought I had a ruptured disk and put me on a back board which just made the pain worse. By the time we got to the ER I was vomiting still on the back board and started to drown in my own vomit. Finally my wife saw me and screamed for the staff to turn me on my side. I was in agony pleading the nurses to take me off the back board which they refused to do. The lights were killing me. Finally the Doctor came in to evaluate. My wife told him the symptoms and he took me off the board him self and ordered a CT which came back negative. He was not convinced so he ordered a lumbar which was flowing with blood. I had emergency surgery and was clipped. Since then I have had to live with terrible headaches that pretty much leave me incapacitated.

Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?