Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.

Comment from: Mariana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

In 2011 I was at a dinner with my husband, at his brother's house. We were having a great time, when out of nowhere I experienced the most painful headache. The best way to describe it felt like brain freeze on the top of my head, and at the same time my head was pounding. My sister-in-law, a nurse, gave me an aspirin, and told me to follow up with my primary doctor, which I did. I had a CAT scan with contrast and also MRI and MRA, and it showed I had a brain aneurysm on front of my brain. I had a coil placed on it, after spending 5 days in ICU; luckily it was clipped. It was a very frightening experience. I was very lucky!

Comment from: Ellis B., 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 27

My brain aneurysm was discovered after I had stroke symptoms. The right side of my face became numb so, I reported to the emergency room. A CAT scan could not find a stroke so, the aneurysm was discovered after an MRI was conducted. Surgery will be conducted on 4-7-15. Wish me luck.

Comment from: Fran, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I had a brain aneurysm 10 years ago 1/10/05. One minute I was fine and the next minute I thought I got hit in the head with a bat. They clipped it and I am fortunate enough to not have any disabilities/defects due to the brain aneurysm. I have 5 siblings and 3 of us have had brain aneurysms. To this day I suffer with headaches and my doctor prescribed a migraine medication which works very well but the headaches are sometimes very severe.

Comment from: Clare, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

It started with left sided weakness and vomiting, then came the severe headache (felt like somebody had a screwdriver in my brain and was twisting around). I had fallen and I couldn't remember, though the massive bruise on my left shoulder could only have happened from a fall. Friends were concerned about my behavior and drove me to hospital. I remember walking into Accident and Emergency, 5 days later I woke up in ICU. The ruptured brain aneurysm had been coiled and I had been ventilated for 5 days, when I woke up I was paralyzed down my left side, I was lucky it had resolved 3 days later when I went to the neurology ward.

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I was in the shower when I felt like a warm liquid was spreading inside my head. Then came the worst headache of my life. I was taken to the hospital and was treated with a coil, 21 days stay in hospital, now 6 months later they tell me the brain aneurysm is growing and I will need either surgery or another coil. I am scheduled to have an angiogram and then the doctor will tell me what he will be doing. I am just grateful to have had no brain damage etc. After reading all the information I realize I was very lucky.

Comment from: Survivor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I have been working as an ironer for twenty years. I smoke too much and I drink too much coffee. I had a brain aneurysm on 20th December 2013. I was told by doctor, “You are lucky, only 6% of victims survive. The artery burst and something came and blocked it right away. Do not use aspirin for the rest of your life.” I was prescribed tablets for high blood pressure. One month later (February 1st, 2014) I was back out working. I felt a bit weak, but I'm fine now. I still smoke and drink coffee. No water. For 25 years. No change in diet, but I lost 20 pounds in one month (January 2014).

Comment from: Nafis, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 21

My mom recently died of a brain aneurysm. She was 71. She had headaches and developed a drooping eye a few weeks back. My dad had passed away a month back due to lung cancer and we assumed that the drooping eyes were due to her crying. She had shortness of breath but we assumed it was due to her asthma. She felt dizzy couple of days back and we had a doctor check her out at home. She was diagnosed with vertigo. Two days later, she had a stroke and passed away.

Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?