Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I was in the shower when I felt like a warm liquid was spreading inside my head. Then came the worst headache of my life. I was taken to the hospital and was treated with a coil, 21 days stay in hospital, now 6 months later they tell me the brain aneurysm is growing and I will need either surgery or another coil. I am scheduled to have an angiogram and then the doctor will tell me what he will be doing. I am just grateful to have had no brain damage etc. After reading all the information I realize I was very lucky.

Comment from: Survivor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I have been working as an ironer for twenty years. I smoke too much and I drink too much coffee. I had a brain aneurysm on 20th December 2013. I was told by doctor, “You are lucky, only 6% of victims survive. The artery burst and something came and blocked it right away. Do not use aspirin for the rest of your life.” I was prescribed tablets for high blood pressure. One month later (February 1st, 2014) I was back out working. I felt a bit weak, but I'm fine now. I still smoke and drink coffee. No water. For 25 years. No change in diet, but I lost 20 pounds in one month (January 2014).

Comment from: Nafis, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 21

My mom recently died of a brain aneurysm. She was 71. She had headaches and developed a drooping eye a few weeks back. My dad had passed away a month back due to lung cancer and we assumed that the drooping eyes were due to her crying. She had shortness of breath but we assumed it was due to her asthma. She felt dizzy couple of days back and we had a doctor check her out at home. She was diagnosed with vertigo. Two days later, she had a stroke and passed away.

Comment from: Annie H., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

I felt that something was wrong the day before, I could not put my finger on it, I just felt off. The next day I went out to lunch with a friend and then came home and fixed dinner for my husband. We hugged and he was leaving for school, I went in the laundry room for obvious reasons. That is the last thing that I remember. My husband said he heard some strange sounds as he was going out the door and decided to check them out. He found me on the bathroom floor (it's next to the laundry room) and I was out cold. He called 911. I woke up about three weeks later and found out that I had suffered brain aneurysm, they found three but only one had bled. They put coils around them and I was in the hospital and aftercare for about a month and a half. A bit of warning here. The doctor told my family that in best case I would be a drooling two year old (not so). I had to work really hard to get my left arm and hand working again but now they work almost as good as they did before. I still have numbness in my feet but they follow my legs pretty well. My math skills got a bit better but not my spelling (darn). It's been almost five years now. I have lost my filters and say whatever pops into my head and I have spinning circles in my eye sight. Every day is a gift.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I have a brain aneurysm and am waiting for surgery. I had an angiogram then in recovery I had a mini stroke that has left a blind spot in my right eye. I have a very sore neck and some headaches. I am quite worried because I have a brother and sister who had aneurysm that burst. The hospital is still making me wait even with our family history of brain disorders. Also my speech sometimes gets a little jumbled.

Comment from: Shelley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I've suffered two brain aneurysms, the first one 22 years ago whilst 5 months pregnant with my now 22 years old son. I've always had migraines but this one was different, so severe. I had it every day for about a week and the doctor thought it was because I was pregnant. Then one morning I passed out in the shower and they rushed me to the hospital. I don't remember about 3 weeks, the aneurysm had leaked but I had a great surgeon. I suffered a stroke after the operation but thankfully my son was born 4 months later and everything was ok. My left eye was closed and my left side weak. The second one was 3 years ago, I'm now 51. It was clipped as well and found when in emergency due to a migraine. My memory is not good and my personality has changed. I had a CT scan done a few weeks ago and it showed an area where my brain has died which explains my memory and emotions. It is very scary, I have no idea what might happen now.

Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?