Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.

Comment from: daBABY, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm on December 21st of last year. I woke early needing to go to the restroom, but was dizzy and nauseous as soon as I opened my eyes. I had no headache. I vomited several times but had to have help walking. My husband and son took me to the local hospital where I had a CT-scan, which revealed bleeding in my brain. I was transported to another hospital with a neurosurgeon. He cauterized the artery and saved my life. I have some troubles with balance and my left hand is shaky; but no lasting damage!

Comment from: Misty, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My grandmother passed away in her fifties from an aneurysm and my father also had passed away from an aneurysm at the age of 48. I started having really bad headache last year and contacted my doctor to have tests done to check if I might have an aneurysm since I heard they might be hereditary. This is when I found out at the age of 33 that I do in fact have a brain aneurysm in my brain stem. They said it is not yet big enough to do anything about; they have to wait until it is 3mm big before anything can be done. It is very scary to live with something like this, even though my doctor said to continue with my daily life as normal. I was in the hospital last September because my head felt like it was going to burst like someone was taking a bat to it. They did a spinal tap to see if the aneurysm was bleeding but thankfully it was not. They stated it was just a bad migraine. So right now they just monitor it and I am not supposed to go back until 2014 for another CTA or angiogram. I take it day by day and hope for the best!

Comment from: jgiusti, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

In December 2011 I suffered a severe headache that lasted only minutes but I was left with a very stiff neck and a mild headache and photosensitivity. I felt very sick and very tired for 3 days and decided to go to the doctor's who said I had a virus and a chest infection. Ten days later I suffered a subarachnoid hemorrhage in my sleep and almost didn't make it, but thanks to my husband for realizing something was wrong and phoned the ambulance. I lived to tell the tale. The surgeons inserted coils into the aneurysm, saving my life. When they did an MRI scan to pinpoint the blood vessel they found another aneurysm on the other side of my head but they didn't treat that one at the time. On October 31, 2012, I underwent a craniotomy to surgically clip the remaining aneurysm with 100% success. My doctor thinks I suffered a herald bleed and didn't have a virus at all because the symptoms are the same - it just went undiagnosed. I can no longer do my job because of the risks of a head injury nor can I ride my horses, which upset me greatly, but I have been exceptionally lucky. I am alive and fit and healthy thanks to my amazing doctors.

Comment from: kenny, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I was 50 years old when I was at work and started getting a headache, then I felt like I was in a dream. I knew something was wrong. I just did not feel right. I went to the emergency room, I told the doctor that my sister had passed away from a brain aneurysm, so he did an MRI. He came back to the room and told me and my wife that I had a brain aneurysm at about 9mm and that something had to be done. It did not rupture but was pushing on my brain. I since had a coil put in the aneurysm. I still get headaches and my short term memory is bad. I also have a hard time learning things, I can't remember a lot of things. It's just not cool.

Comment from: karliexojordan, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I'm 17 and I just had two aneurysms clipped on November 18th. The way it was discovered was accidentally through and MRI. For a few months I had been having blackouts in my right eye that lasted 1-5 minutes. I had these every few months. Finally, I got it checked and that is how it was found. I had one large one, and a smaller one forming. My grandfather and great uncle died from ruptured aneurysms, so I am at risk because of heredity. The artery that these were found on is very weak and I have a chance of getting another. I went to Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston for my surgery, and to the Children's Hospital for recovery. The doctors that I had seem to think that the eye blackouts are not related to the aneurysm. It is still a mystery. I've had some complications since my surgery, and right now I'm waiting for results that will determine whether I had a seizure, stroke, or if have a blood clot, or numerous other possibilities. This was a terrifying experience for me, and I like to share my story because I am proud of myself and how far I have come. I am so thankful to be here today.

Comment from: suzette, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

In 2004, I experienced a tremendous headache. It seemed to grow stronger over several hours. I experienced a flow of blood run down the inside of my head right above my ear. I felt very delirious and scared. Hours later, I went to the emergency room and after several more hours of scans, I was told I had a ruptured brain aneurysm. I was still coherent, but the pain in my head was unbearable. I felt like my skull would crack open. They prepped me for surgery. Six hours later, my doctor had completed the surgery and clipped my aneurysm. I experience tremendous headaches for days while I was hospitalized. I remained completely coherent. Weeks later, I recovered beautifully and resumed a normal life. Two years later, I insisted on a follow up. The radiologist found another aneurysm not quite as large as the first one. I waited 3 months for surgery. Remarkably, I survived a second surgery and my aneurysm was clipped. I am living a perfectly healthy and normal life now with no repercussions at all. I have heard so many terrible stories of patients that haven't been as fortunate. I want to share my story to give hope to others. God has blessed my life, and for that, I am thankful every day. Please know that there is hope. You would never know anything was ever wrong with me. It is truly a miracle.

Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?