Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.

Comment from: Misty, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My grandmother passed away in her fifties from an aneurysm and my father also had passed away from an aneurysm at the age of 48. I started having really bad headache last year and contacted my doctor to have tests done to check if I might have an aneurysm since I heard they might be hereditary. This is when I found out at the age of 33 that I do in fact have a brain aneurysm in my brain stem. They said it is not yet big enough to do anything about; they have to wait until it is 3mm big before anything can be done. It is very scary to live with something like this, even though my doctor said to continue with my daily life as normal. I was in the hospital last September because my head felt like it was going to burst like someone was taking a bat to it. They did a spinal tap to see if the aneurysm was bleeding but thankfully it was not. They stated it was just a bad migraine. So right now they just monitor it and I am not supposed to go back until 2014 for another CTA or angiogram. I take it day by day and hope for the best!

Comment from: jgiusti, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

In December 2011 I suffered a severe headache that lasted only minutes but I was left with a very stiff neck and a mild headache and photosensitivity. I felt very sick and very tired for 3 days and decided to go to the doctor's who said I had a virus and a chest infection. Ten days later I suffered a subarachnoid hemorrhage in my sleep and almost didn't make it, but thanks to my husband for realizing something was wrong and phoned the ambulance. I lived to tell the tale. The surgeons inserted coils into the aneurysm, saving my life. When they did an MRI scan to pinpoint the blood vessel they found another aneurysm on the other side of my head but they didn't treat that one at the time. On October 31, 2012, I underwent a craniotomy to surgically clip the remaining aneurysm with 100% success. My doctor thinks I suffered a herald bleed and didn't have a virus at all because the symptoms are the same - it just went undiagnosed. I can no longer do my job because of the risks of a head injury nor can I ride my horses, which upset me greatly, but I have been exceptionally lucky. I am alive and fit and healthy thanks to my amazing doctors.

Comment from: kenny, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I was 50 years old when I was at work and started getting a headache, then I felt like I was in a dream. I knew something was wrong. I just did not feel right. I went to the emergency room, I told the doctor that my sister had passed away from a brain aneurysm, so he did an MRI. He came back to the room and told me and my wife that I had a brain aneurysm at about 9mm and that something had to be done. It did not rupture but was pushing on my brain. I since had a coil put in the aneurysm. I still get headaches and my short term memory is bad. I also have a hard time learning things, I can't remember a lot of things. It's just not cool.

Comment from: Rashima, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: August 18

My Dad aged 87 suffered from a brain Aneurysm on the 14th of April. A clipping was performed on him through surgery. He came out fine and was not even on a ventilator but 2 days later went into a coma like state and remained like that for 3 weeks remaining on the ventilator. He then developed pulmonary infection and has only come to the room for a period of 2 weeks where he spoke audibly and would smile. It didn't last long and he is again in the ICU. Today he does not know who he is, does not recognize anyone, cannot read, write or speak audibly. It is August 17th and he still needs to be on the ventilator off and on so he cannot be sent to the room. I feel so helpless, he just stares and has no idea where he is or who comes to visit him. He is fed through a peg tube from the stomach and has a catheter attached for urine. I am his daughter his main caregiver and I just go twice a day to the hospital hoping for a miracle where he would remember me.

Comment from: sophie, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 16

My mum suffered with a brain aneurysm in 2011, she had the worst headache ever. It was a good thing I was with her. I called an ambulance and she had the aneurysm coiled. She was in hospital for a couple of weeks and recovered well. Now 3 months back we found out that the operation had failed and now she is on the waiting list for it to be clipped. I am so worried as I am only 23 and really don't want to lose my mum.

Comment from: Jean, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I was diagnosed with a brain aneurysm back in May of 2013. I continued to have fainting spells. I was taken the hospital where surgery to clip it was performed. I was then sent to rehab because I suffered from memory loss. I am still experiencing symptoms so I have been scheduled for another CT scan on December 16th.

Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?