Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.

Comment from: Jody, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I have two brain aneurysms. One was 11 1/2 mm, which I had fixed yesterday, behind my left eye. I have had a slight headache behind my left eye. I was wondering what the side effects are if any and how long they can last.

Comment from: Dazzelfire59, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

In 2004 I had a ruptured aneurysm that I woke up to which left my left side paralyzed. It took many years to learn to walk and use my left side at all. In 2010 I was told by my neurologist that they found an aneurysm behind my right eye. (Cerebral aneurysm - often with this it is said they find in an autopsy.) I woke up to half my hair gone and cut from for head to ear then from muscle around right eye to get to the aneurysm. Mine is an inherited kind. Lucky me, I walked out of the hospital on the 3rd morning which most say takes 2 weeks. The worst thing was migraines even today and bad eye sight; and a lumpy head.

Comment from: daBABY, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm on December 21st of last year. I woke early needing to go to the restroom, but was dizzy and nauseous as soon as I opened my eyes. I had no headache. I vomited several times but had to have help walking. My husband and son took me to the local hospital where I had a CT-scan, which revealed bleeding in my brain. I was transported to another hospital with a neurosurgeon. He cauterized the artery and saved my life. I have some troubles with balance and my left hand is shaky; but no lasting damage!

Comment from: Misty, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My grandmother passed away in her fifties from an aneurysm and my father also had passed away from an aneurysm at the age of 48. I started having really bad headache last year and contacted my doctor to have tests done to check if I might have an aneurysm since I heard they might be hereditary. This is when I found out at the age of 33 that I do in fact have a brain aneurysm in my brain stem. They said it is not yet big enough to do anything about; they have to wait until it is 3mm big before anything can be done. It is very scary to live with something like this, even though my doctor said to continue with my daily life as normal. I was in the hospital last September because my head felt like it was going to burst like someone was taking a bat to it. They did a spinal tap to see if the aneurysm was bleeding but thankfully it was not. They stated it was just a bad migraine. So right now they just monitor it and I am not supposed to go back until 2014 for another CTA or angiogram. I take it day by day and hope for the best!

Comment from: jgiusti, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

In December 2011 I suffered a severe headache that lasted only minutes but I was left with a very stiff neck and a mild headache and photosensitivity. I felt very sick and very tired for 3 days and decided to go to the doctor's who said I had a virus and a chest infection. Ten days later I suffered a subarachnoid hemorrhage in my sleep and almost didn't make it, but thanks to my husband for realizing something was wrong and phoned the ambulance. I lived to tell the tale. The surgeons inserted coils into the aneurysm, saving my life. When they did an MRI scan to pinpoint the blood vessel they found another aneurysm on the other side of my head but they didn't treat that one at the time. On October 31, 2012, I underwent a craniotomy to surgically clip the remaining aneurysm with 100% success. My doctor thinks I suffered a herald bleed and didn't have a virus at all because the symptoms are the same - it just went undiagnosed. I can no longer do my job because of the risks of a head injury nor can I ride my horses, which upset me greatly, but I have been exceptionally lucky. I am alive and fit and healthy thanks to my amazing doctors.

Comment from: kenny, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I was 50 years old when I was at work and started getting a headache, then I felt like I was in a dream. I knew something was wrong. I just did not feel right. I went to the emergency room, I told the doctor that my sister had passed away from a brain aneurysm, so he did an MRI. He came back to the room and told me and my wife that I had a brain aneurysm at about 9mm and that something had to be done. It did not rupture but was pushing on my brain. I since had a coil put in the aneurysm. I still get headaches and my short term memory is bad. I also have a hard time learning things, I can't remember a lot of things. It's just not cool.

Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?