Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.

Comment from: Stephen, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 06

It started as a bang behind my left eye, and the migraine came on straight away. I had 2 days off work, saw my doctor, everything seemed fine. My head did feel funny. Two weeks later I had a migraine at work, they took me to my doctor, who gave me medication. I went home to bed, I think I woke up and had a spew, and got back into bed. I awoke with left eye closed. My doctor admitted me to hospital, where I was diagnosed with occipital headache and isolated 3rd nerve palsy. After coil embolization of the aneurysm I have lost control of eye lid and control of the eye. I can still see out of the left eye, but no control.

Comment from: annie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I was raking fire and tried to straighten up but couldn't because my neck was stiff. Then there was a buildup of pressure as if my blood pressure had hit the roof. I knew something was not right and went to hospital straight away where a CT scan showed two ruptured aneurysms. I was operated on straight away and coils were used. I took a while to recover because of fear of doing things. This was 7 months ago. One was not operated on as it was too small but they are keeping an eye on this and I think they will operate on it in the near future. It can be scary but I was lucky in that no damage was done and I now feel back to my old self.

Comment from: LuckyKaren, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm 3 years ago. The rupture fortunately clotted. I stayed in bed for 3 days until a spinal tap diagnosed my problem. I had brain surgery 2 days later. My hearing was affected for about 6 months. I have recovered 100 percent and often wonder how many others are out there that made a full recovery. The only thing that bothers me are loud noises and I startle easily. I was told, 2 years ago, by my surgeon that I do not need any further treatment.

Comment from: sia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I had an aneurysm in the brain stem back in 2000.

Comment from: Mariana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

In 2011 I was at a dinner with my husband, at his brother's house. We were having a great time, when out of nowhere I experienced the most painful headache. The best way to describe it felt like brain freeze on the top of my head, and at the same time my head was pounding. My sister-in-law, a nurse, gave me an aspirin, and told me to follow up with my primary doctor, which I did. I had a CAT scan with contrast and also MRI and MRA, and it showed I had a brain aneurysm on front of my brain. I had a coil placed on it, after spending 5 days in ICU; luckily it was clipped. It was a very frightening experience. I was very lucky!

Comment from: Ellis B., 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 27

My brain aneurysm was discovered after I had stroke symptoms. The right side of my face became numb so, I reported to the emergency room. A CAT scan could not find a stroke so, the aneurysm was discovered after an MRI was conducted. Surgery will be conducted on 4-7-15. Wish me luck.

Comment from: Fran, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I had a brain aneurysm 10 years ago 1/10/05. One minute I was fine and the next minute I thought I got hit in the head with a bat. They clipped it and I am fortunate enough to not have any disabilities/defects due to the brain aneurysm. I have 5 siblings and 3 of us have had brain aneurysms. To this day I suffer with headaches and my doctor prescribed a migraine medication which works very well but the headaches are sometimes very severe.

Comment from: Clare, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

It started with left sided weakness and vomiting, then came the severe headache (felt like somebody had a screwdriver in my brain and was twisting around). I had fallen and I couldn't remember, though the massive bruise on my left shoulder could only have happened from a fall. Friends were concerned about my behavior and drove me to hospital. I remember walking into Accident and Emergency, 5 days later I woke up in ICU. The ruptured brain aneurysm had been coiled and I had been ventilated for 5 days, when I woke up I was paralyzed down my left side, I was lucky it had resolved 3 days later when I went to the neurology ward.

Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?