Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.

Comment from: libra, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I suffered with subarachnoid hemorrhage 4 days after my 50th birthday last year October 18, 2013. I woke up with a terrible headache. I took ibuprofen 800, it did not go away. My next instinct was to take my blood pressure and it was too high 176/126 and a HR of 147. I knew something was wrong. I don't have issues with high blood pressure but my husband has BP medications so I took one and took 2 tums because I wanted to vomit. When I tried getting up, I couldn't bear the pain in my head. They brought me to a nearby hospital and found out that I had bleeding in my brain and they cannot do a surgery there. They airlifted me to another hospital. At first the doctor said, he will do the coiling but after a series of tests, he told my husband, they need to do craniotomy and put a clip on the bleeding because the aneurysm ruptured. It was a 4 hour surgery. Fortunately, I was restored without any residuals. But, despite that, I still feel scared at times. I am back to work part time. My next appointment for MRI and CT scan will be on the 3rd of March. They still need to watch out another bulge that did not rupture. My grandmother died of stroke in the 80s. Many said that she might have died of brain aneurysm. So , my doctors said if someone in your family have it, have the immediate family check.

Comment from: lynnie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I had SAH (subarachnoid hemorrhage) in July 2011, I had just turned 50. My sister had died of one 17 years prior, but was told then that SAH was not hereditary. I had extreme headache around the top of my head (Headaches are not normal for me.) I drove myself to the hospital, barely, they did a CT scan and saw blood in brain, airlifted me to a major hospital for coiling. I stayed there for about 2 weeks monitoring vasospasms. I have had 3 invasive checks of the coiling since then, all clear. I'm happy to be here. Be your own consumer patient advocate when something doesn't feel right.

Comment from: Wat If, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I've never had issues with headache other than when my period is on occasionally. My tolerance for pain is very high, I've always refused to go to the doctor/emergency room when I'm not well. The night of May 1, 2013 my son had cooked dinner, I walked in the kitchen to prepare some gravy and bam! It felt like someone struck me in my temple with a hammer. I just sat down at the table holding my head and in my mind I was saying 'something's not right here'. My son asked if I was ok and I told him no, I have a bad headache, I'm going to try to lay down a minute to see if it passes. I could not lay down more than 30 seconds before I became nauseated. I sat up on the side of the bed and told my son I've got to go to the emergency room. We got to the emergency room about 6 minutes from my home and I started vomiting. They rushed me in to get a CAT scan, realizing I had a ruptured aneurysm which this hospital could not treat. They rushed me to the best hospital in this area for this, where they immediately went to work on me. My doctor said they did the coiling procedure but while they were doing it I passed a clot, which they had to fix before they could finish the coiling. The first 5 days following I don't remember anything, everyone said I was corresponding but drowsily. I lost no mental or mobile functions. I was in the ICU for 2 weeks, then sent home. I went back to working remote the next day with no issues as far as remembering my duties. The only issues after the aneurysm was panic attacks and short term memory loss. I went back to get an angiogram 6 months later and I was told that the aneurysm was filling with blood again. On November 8, 2013 I was back to get the coiling procedure done again. I still only have panic attacks and short term memory lost. I have to go back in 3 months this time to get another angiogram.

Comment from: Dazzelfire59, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

In 2004 I had a ruptured aneurysm that I woke up to which left my left side paralyzed. It took many years to learn to walk and use my left side at all. In 2010 I was told by my neurologist that they found an aneurysm behind my right eye. (Cerebral aneurysm - often with this it is said they find in an autopsy.) I woke up to half my hair gone and cut from for head to ear then from muscle around right eye to get to the aneurysm. Mine is an inherited kind. Lucky me, I walked out of the hospital on the 3rd morning which most say takes 2 weeks. The worst thing was migraines even today and bad eye sight; and a lumpy head.

Comment from: sheila, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

When my aneurism burst I got dizzy and sick with my stomach. I lay down and went to sleep for a while, when I awoke I wasn't dizzy any more but I had a bad head ache for 6 days. I assumed I had caught the flu, I had been around friends who simultaneously got the flu from each other. I had never had bad headaches and this was the worst. My mom suffered from migraines so I thought I was going to be like mom with migraines. I was wrong; on the 6th day in the early morning paralysis started setting in and my tummy got upset. An ambulance was called and for the next 23 days I spent in intensive care with a touch and go prognosis. They had discovered the problem with a spinal tap and an MRI; they treated me for high blood pressure, apparently it is what caused it to burst. They coiled it 3 times, apparently my veins on the brain are tiny. I am now receiving annual angiograms to monitor a second aneurism on the opposite side that has not burst. It is potentially fatal because of the area it is in and I've been told that I will experience very different symptoms.

Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?
Brain Aneurysm - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?