Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Treatment

What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?

Comment from: candy, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 21

My sister recently had her second aneurysm surgery, first one 20 years ago. This time the doctors were not successful in coiling, they did not tell us! She stayed in pain for an entire month, she went back to the doctor for two follow-ups, the first they did some radiology and did not see anything wrong. The second was with her general physician. She recently was rushed back to the hospital where the emergency room (ER) doctor informed her of the botched surgery because he thought she knew. He then says it's a two time surgical procedure, as if that is standard. It wasn't standard twenty years ago when it was fixed with 1 surgery. I believe they made that up to cover themselves, I am researching. I want to know how many other patients had 2 surgeries as standard for 1 aneurysm.

Comment from: Noel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

For many years I would have headaches, relieved by sleep, a dark place and or Excedrin. One day I was working and developed tremors of my hands. I went to see my neurologist and requested an MRI. It revealed 8 aneurysms. Then had an MRA with confirmation. I later went to the hospital where I had a cerebral angiogram. This is considered most diagnostic. Conclusively 4 were confirmed; I was treated with coils stents and the pipeline. Post operation cerebral angiogram showed dissolution of three and a diminishing fourth. In my case I had no associated symptoms although many times it is the unassociated factors that lead one to discover aneurysms. Presently I have occasional stiffness of my right eye and pressure behind it. In the past my family has always called it the strange eye, but because of my history I will pursue it further.

Comment from: Yak57, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I have been living with the knowledge that I have a small aneurysm (when first discovered, it was at about 3.2mm) behind my left eye for over 15 years. We've avoided repair, as the risks outweigh the benefits. I have an MRI/MRA annually to check on it. Last week, I had a car accident, rear-ended, and bumped my head hard enough to warrant a CAT scan. The CAT scan report stated there was a non-specific 5 mm calcification. I assumed that was the aneurysm, and checked with my neurosurgeon to find that my aneurysm was only 3.8mm last year. So, I am going in for a mid-year MRI/MRA (on my usual machine) to measure the growth. If they were to operate on it as it was, I would certainly lose the sight in my eye, but would save my life. If it has grown by 25% in only one year, something is up. The car accident may have saved my life, we shall see.

Comment from: lionie, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My brother was diagnosed with a brain aneurysm years ago, he had undergone surgery and it was clipped with titanium. Since then he has fully recovered and it's like nothing happened; except for the scar, he is back to normal. He is taking medications for maintenance to control his blood pressure.

Published: March 09

On august 2, 2010 at 12:45pm I had a sudden outburst of the worst headache ever when sitting at lunch when at work. I felt my ears pop and then the worst headache came suddenly after. I broke out in a cold sweat and laid down on an exam table. The nurses at my employer checked my blood pressure which was high. I worked directly across from a hospital, but was in so much pain, I couldn't take myself there. An ambulance was called and transported me to the ER where a CT was performed. It showed bleeding on the brain. I then underwent an MRI which showed a ruptured aneurysm. A neurosurgeon arrived within 5 minutes and discussed my options. I elected to proceed with the endovascular coiling. Because I just ate lunch, surgery couldn't be performed until 4pm. Surgery was successfully performed and I was in Neuro NICU for 1 week, with me being sensitive to everything. I was released from the hospital on August 11 and went back to work on August 30. I've had to do cerebral angiograms as follow up appointments. I am very lucky to be here today!

Comment from: Ann, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I received coiling and had a shunt placed in my head as treatment a year ago. I feel pretty good and I'm doing better every day.

Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.
Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?