Patient Comments: Brain Aneurysm - Treatment

What was the treatment for a brain aneurysm in you, a friend, or relative?

Comment from: Noel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

For many years I would have headaches, relieved by sleep, a dark place and or Excedrin. One day I was working and developed tremors of my hands. I went to see my neurologist and requested an MRI. It revealed 8 aneurysms. Then had an MRA with confirmation. I later went to the hospital where I had a cerebral angiogram. This is considered most diagnostic. Conclusively 4 were confirmed; I was treated with coils stents and the pipeline. Post operation cerebral angiogram showed dissolution of three and a diminishing fourth. In my case I had no associated symptoms although many times it is the unassociated factors that lead one to discover aneurysms. Presently I have occasional stiffness of my right eye and pressure behind it. In the past my family has always called it the strange eye, but because of my history I will pursue it further.

Comment from: Yak57, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I have been living with the knowledge that I have a small aneurysm (when first discovered, it was at about 3.2mm) behind my left eye for over 15 years. We've avoided repair, as the risks outweigh the benefits. I have an MRI/MRA annually to check on it. Last week, I had a car accident, rear-ended, and bumped my head hard enough to warrant a CAT scan. The CAT scan report stated there was a non-specific 5 mm calcification. I assumed that was the aneurysm, and checked with my neurosurgeon to find that my aneurysm was only 3.8mm last year. So, I am going in for a mid-year MRI/MRA (on my usual machine) to measure the growth. If they were to operate on it as it was, I would certainly lose the sight in my eye, but would save my life. If it has grown by 25% in only one year, something is up. The car accident may have saved my life, we shall see.

Comment from: lionie, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My brother was diagnosed with a brain aneurysm years ago, he had undergone surgery and it was clipped with titanium. Since then he has fully recovered and it's like nothing happened; except for the scar, he is back to normal. He is taking medications for maintenance to control his blood pressure.

Comment from: Ann, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I received coiling and had a shunt placed in my head as treatment a year ago. I feel pretty good and I'm doing better every day.

Comment from: Ann, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I suffered from migraine headaches for most my adult life. This time I felt a "pop" in my head then I became nauseous. I began to vomit uncontrollably. I don't remember anything after the vomiting. I bled in my head for 8 days before I was treated. The first hospital I went to on day 3 did not diagnose the aneurysm, they treated me for a migraine and sent me home. The second hospital gave me a CAT scan and determined my illness. I was in ICU for 5 weeks and rehab for 2 weeks. I'm told I'm very lucky considering how long I went untreated.

Comment from: karen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

Nearly 10 years ago, I had a subarachnoid hemorrhage. I had suffered with headaches and dizzy spells for years. One day I was on a bus with a friend and got a sharp pain in my head: the worst pain and headache I'd ever experienced. I decided to go home and went to bed. The next morning I woke up and had double vision and still had the bad pain in my head. One of my pupil's was dilated and I felt weak on one side of my body. An ambulance took me to the hospital. A CT scan revealed I had an aneurysm. I had brain surgery the next day. I was told I was lucky, because if it weren't for the double vision, I probably wouldn't be here today because I might have thought it was just a bad headache.

Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.
Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?