Patient Comments: Borderline Personality Disorder - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with borderline personality disorder?

Comment from: FreakedOut, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I am currently an in-patient in a mood disorder program. I was recently told I had borderline personality disorder (BPD). I have had feelings of emptiness, fear of abandonment, uncontrollable rages, suicide attempts, and self-harm behaviors. I continuously feel like people hate me as much as I hate myself. When I do meet with my medical doctor I am afraid to tell him the truth about how I am feeling for fear of judgment. I know he is here to help me but I find myself lying just for approval. I was married and now separated as my husband could not cope with my mood swings. I have nowhere to go and no one to talk to. Reading more about this illness and poor recovery is alarming. I am so scared and not sure what to do.

Comment from: Laura, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

Please help me! I cant control my life, one minute im ok the next im in A and E after hurting myself mainly overdose but i do self harm im always paranoid i feel like i have to be perfect i feel empty inside and i cant control my mood its either high or low never in between. My spending is out of control i feel like i dont belong and i find it hard to keep friends not that i have any i feel isolated and different and i have low self esteem.

Comment from: dls57, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

Extreme mood swings come with my borderline personality disorder. I didn't even know it was going to happen. All of the sudden I saw red and I would scream at everyone from family to friends. My anger would especially be toward clerks in stores. If I perceived poor service I would in a low, vicious voice tell them how bad, how they should be fired, and on and on. My children tell me they would not go to town with me anymore because of my anger. I have made numerous (at least 5 times)attempts at suicide in the last 11 years. My childhood was very messed up which I have been told is systematic of BPD.

Comment from: Mahzabeen, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I underestimate myself then very often find myself doing better than others, who I admire.

Comment from: ArmyWife, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I have known that I have borderline personality disorder and bipolar disorder for about eight years now. There are times when I just feel like my world is spiraling out of control and there's nothing I can do to fix it. Some days I look at my husband and hate him, for no reason. Other days I am fine. It's just a crazy rollercoaster that I'll never be able to get off of.

Borderline Personality Disorder - Experience Question: Do you or a relative have borderline personality disorder? Please share your experience.
Borderline Personality Disorder - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, have you received for borderline personality disorder?