Patient Comments: Borderline Personality Disorder - Experience

Do you or a relative have borderline personality disorder? Please share your experience.

Comment from: Emily, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

Depression and anxiety have been the norm for me for about 20 years. I was just diagnosed with BPD (borderline personality disorder) last week. The information I have read makes me wonder how I had never been diagnosed before. I cannot stand the thought of being left alone or abandoned. I pull out my eyebrows and eyelashes, and more recently, my hair. My self-image is low. I've always hated myself. No one can hurt me any worse than I can myself. My mood swings terrify my children, although, I've never been violent or raging. In the past 5 years, I've had six different jobs and tried to go back to school, but gave up twice. It took me ten years to finish a bachelor's degree and I'm a special education teacher who misses work frequently. I'm exhausted from my frequent medication changes and have the attention span of a 2-year-old. I'm in constant search of attention and make very poor choices in my relationships. I've been divorced once and remarried a few years later. Now, this marriage is suffering. My brother, two years younger than I, is paranoid schizophrenic and lives in an apartment with other mental health patients. My mother neglected us terribly and has recently disowned me. My father has never been in the picture and doesn't acknowledge me. I don't know how to keep it together enough to heal and make my family stay together. In the past week, my impulsive behavior got me another car payment (we have 3). I think of ways to die about 20 times a day.

Comment from: Zoe, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I was diagnosed with BPD well over a year ago. Although not as severe as some cases, the emotional and mental anguish of this illness was unbearable. The worst of it was experienced in my adolescent and teenage years. I was a cutter and thought of suicide endlessly. I never developed an addiction to drugs or alcohol, but I had (and still have) problems with eating. The final straw for me was when I suffered continual and relentless emotional bullying at work 5 years ago by an ex friend and others, and nobody would do anything. I cried everyday and had extreme anxiety. Then one day I fell apart and ran out of there and never went back. The ol' suicidal thoughts came rushing back in, but I reached out for help, and in a nutshell, here I am. I am in therapy and have been for nearly 2 years. I understand more about BPD and how it pertains to me as an individual and how to be mindful of the ways BPD affects my thinking today. It's very difficult to "unlearn" thoughts and behaviours, it's a slow and lengthy process. But it is possible.

Comment from: LewD, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

I have been diagnosed with major depression and post-traumatic stress disorder after a suicide attempt. I think that I can relate to the people who also have issues of self-mutilation, I do it constantly. In the past 6 months I have been on Prozac, Zoloft, and now Effexor. I also take Depakote, hydroxyzine, and trazodone to sleep. I never seem to follow through on most projects and am always looking for yet another job. I get very angry on small issues and seem to give less attention to the issues that should have priority.

Borderline Personality Disorder - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with borderline personality disorder?
Borderline Personality Disorder - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, have you received for borderline personality disorder?