Patient Comments: Bone Spurs - Treatments

Where were your bone spurs located and what was the treatment?

Comment from: Lynn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I was due to have an operation to remove my spur on my heel on the 14th February but being told I"d have to take 3 months off work was too much. I am in agony with it. I have a new date in September. I am really worried. I have read some disaster stories on other sites! I have to have the operation under local anesthetic which petrifies me but was told I could not be put to sleep as I would need to be on my stomach for the operation!

Comment from: Max C., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I had plantar fasciitis in one foot which led to bone spurs forming on my heel under the Achilles tendon. Needless to say it really hurt to walk for about 3 years. Finally I had surgery. They had to detach the tendon from the bone, take the spur off and reattach the tendon. I dreaded it but it turned out to be the best thing I ever did. It"s been two years now and it feels great. The worst part was the almost three months without putting weight on my foot. I'm a happy camper now. I just had (3 days ago) a spur taken out of my shoulder, minor rotator tear fixed. The spur had inflamed the bicep tendon and made it about three times the size it should have been, due to inflammation. I'm already off pain medications and looking forward to rehabilitation and getting back to the gym. Don't put it off!

Comment from: twigy260, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I just had surgery on my right foot for a bone spur on top of my foot. I was in such pain for years I had gone to my foot doctor and he said I had plantar fasciitis and advised me to wear a pad under my foot to relieve my pain. Well, this did good for a while but I finally talked to my orthopedic surgeon and he said I had a bone spur and I was in surgery the following Thursday. I am in recovery now in a soft cast and will graduate to a boot this week.

Comment from: dolittle, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 31

My bone spur is on the interior part of knee. The doctors put off treatment for 4 months, during which time I could not walk very far and had back pain as walking was wrong. Finally I was told I needed no operation and my third doctor put me on diet and gave a steroid shot (did no good). I am improving after 5 months by therapy. I wish doctors would have prescribed this earlier as I was home bound and was in psychological isolation and could not shower or take a bath or go outside. I think if therapy was started right away I could have avoided a lot of disabling movement and pain. I was also prescribed pain pills and now I am sort of dependent on them.

Comment from: Back pain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I've had three back operations. One every five years since 2003. The last one in 2013 for bone spurs pressing against my scotia nerve, one being very large. Even after having surgery I'm still having pain in my lower back and right leg. My doctor has schedule me to have another MRI to try and determine why I'm still in pain, I'm thinking that I might have nerve damage for waiting so long before having surgery.

Comment from: bbeejj13, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

My bone spurs are on top of the foot and also near the ankle.

Comment from: honey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I have pain on my right foot, the last three toes hurt so bad I went to the foot doctor and he said I have bone spurs. I have had shots in before and it quit hurting for a while now it is back. It's been going on for about a year or so, I guess I have to go back and see what he wants to do to get it to quit hurting.

Comment from: ladycares, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have bone spurs inside my vertebrae. There is no way to remove them. Shots didn't work. I sometimes do get shots of fentanyl when they are really hurting.

Bone Spurs - Cause Question: What was the cause of your bone spurs?
Bone Spurs - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with bone spurs.
Bone Spurs - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your bone spurs?