Patient Comments: Bone Spurs - Treatments

Where were your bone spurs located and what was the treatment?

Comment from: Mrst479, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I just had three bone spurs removed from my left foot. One was on top of my foot where the instep is, another was along the inside of the foot where the medial column is and the third is up above my heel. All three were cut off. I am post operation, four days today, 4-26-2015. I was told to be non-weight bearing for three weeks. I have a post-operative follow up tomorrow to replace the first cast with a fiberglass one. I will try to update y'all to let you know if it worked and was worth it. I would try anything to be rid of this pain and the boot/cast I had to wear for the last two years.

Comment from: Keon E, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

I have bone spurs in my hip. I was playing basketball and stepped on someone's foot who was moving in an opposite direction. Now it hurts when I try to run or even meditate. The doctor will be referring me to a hip specialist. I'm too young for hip surgery, in my opinion. I hope therapy can help. Medicine sure has not so far.

Comment from: Mattias, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 24

For several years I suffered from severe pain in my heel which was exacerbated by sporting activities. After attempting to stretch it out and massage it, I went to a doctor who advised that it was a bone spur and it had to be surgically removed. After a year I finally and reluctantly consented to have the surgery. I was told that it would take 3 months to heal and 6 months before I would have full use of my foot. It has now been 4 1/2 months post-surgery and my heel has the same pain it had within the first month of surgery. At this point I am having second thoughts about whether the surgery was the right thing to do. I can say that my foot feels much worse now than it did when I had the bone spur. Even though I proceeded with great caution before I went forward with this surgery, on greater reflection and having had the procedure, I would probably have avoided this surgery.

Comment from: Msart, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I had surgery 6 weeks ago to remove 4 bone spurs on the top of my foot. I am doing much better, but I am surprised at the healing time. I am still non-weight bearing and due to the fact that it is my right foot, I am unable to drive. I am pain free but still have quite a bit of swelling and my foot is purple. I am really exhausted from all this. I am trying to remain hopeful that when I walk again I will be pain free!

Comment from: packeretteaz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I had bone spurs in the oddest place. There were 6 total and on the inner portion of my left leg, below the knee. During my surgery, the doctor had to move a much swelled hamstring tendon to get to the largest bone spur. He used clamps to hold the hamstring tendon back and the pressure of those caused a sizable split in the tendon. I woke up from surgery with this brace from pelvis to ankle. More healing time than expected and more rehabilitation. More frightened than anything. I do not fault the doctor because he is one of the best. Things happen. I am grateful every day that I woke up from surgery.

Comment from: Carole, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

My gastroenteritis started about 2 weeks ago, I have nausea and no appetite at all. I had the diarrhea and that stopped but the nausea and headache continue. I tried ginger ale; that is about all I can get down. I took Zantac and chewed on Gas-X, but no relief and I am tired. Seems like it went through work and almost everyone has or had it. They said it has to run its course.

Comment from: big john, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

My chiropractor has me on a low acidic diet for bone spurts. I don't know if there is any evidence that this will work. I have been following his program for a few years. X-rays show no change.

Bone Spurs - Cause Question: What was the cause of your bone spurs?
Bone Spurs - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with bone spurs.
Bone Spurs - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your bone spurs?