Patient Comments: Bone Spurs - Treatments

Where were your bone spurs located and what was the treatment?

Comment from: MiamiMom, 35-44 Female Published: May 04

I am an active 38 year old mom. I have had problems over the past 4 months. I have 2 bone spurs, one on the edge of the heel on the back of my foot and one on the inside of the heel bone towards the arch of my foot. After excruciating pain one day a few hours after a medium intensity workout, I decided to see a specialist. I found out that the spurs were almost a decade old, caused by a very active lifestyle. The doctor was great, took x-rays and did an ultrasound to confirm a 7 cm bone spur causing pain to the nerves in that area. Treatment was a cortisone injection, custom orthotics being ordered and 2 different boots. One for walking during the day and one for stretching at night. I am also on anti-inflammatory medication for 30 days. I hope to be back running again soon, but in the meantime, you will find me in the pool!

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Dev, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I have a bone spur at my elbow. I had reactive arthritis 14 years ago. It is painful. I cannot bend my hands. I can't touch my face with the affected hand. I have sharp pain during night time and numbness at my fingers.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: kassidyjones66, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

Under doctor's orders, I've been immobilized for about 10 weeks. First, I was in a fracture boot, then a real cast, and now I'm back in the boot. My mother-in-law suggested I might have bone spurs because it seems like my doctor doesn't know what's wrong with me. The bottom of my foot toward the back and right under the ankle is where I'm experiencing the most pain.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Merri, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I have pain on the top of my right foot where my big toe meets the foot at the joint. I have had it for perhaps 15 years. The doctor said it was a bone spur after taking an X-ray. It mostly hurts especially when I wear any shoe with a heel, or too tight. Flats and Fitflops are best for me, but even so, sometimes it's a little achy at night, but never bad enough to take Ibuprofen. I used to wear high heels a lot. I think that's what this is from. I guess I'm willing to live with it. I just have to put vanity aside and not wear heels too much.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: karen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I was told several years ago I had plantar fasciitis. I was told to do stretching exercises to relieve the pain. This did work. Now I'm in total agony and have just been told I have a calcaneam spur. The pain is on top of my ankle. I've been given anti-inflammatories, but they don't seem to be working. It's excruciatingly painful to walk.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: pollywogge, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

My bone spur is on the top of my foot and causes a great deal of pain. I have had it injected with Kenalog three times already and two rounds of Prednisone for the inflammation. I need avoid surgery if possible becasue of very poor circulation due to chronic phlebitis but at this point it is controlling my life because the pain is very bad.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: ouch it hurts, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I have a bone spur in my right shoulder which I am waiting to have surgery for. I have psoriatic arthritis.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: cecile, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

My bone spur was located in the right shoulder. Did not show up in x-rays. One bone spur showed up in MRI. The other was found during surgery. The bone spurs was removed and then had a couple months of physical therapy at the physical therapy building and at home.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Bone Spurs - Cause Question: What was the cause of your bone spurs?
Bone Spurs - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with bone spurs.
Bone Spurs - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your bone spurs?

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.