Patient Comments: Bone Spurs - Treatments

Where were your bone spurs located and what was the treatment?

Comment from: Beauregard, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

In 1995 I broke a heel spur when exiting a small boat. The pain was excruciating. 2 doctors wanted to perform surgery immediately, and a third said he wanted to use drugs for now and then surgery. A friend called who knew a chiropracter and it turned out I knew him as well. He used ultrasound on the broken spur to break it up. I was on my feet in 30 hours, and he finished the job 3 days later which prevented a build-up of calcium in the bloodstream.

Comment from: downed worker, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I injured my right shoulder. It was diagnosed as a sprain. Physio therapy exercises aggravated it. 38 months after the injury I received an MRI which showed the spur was pinching my AC joint, it was also diagnosed as a signal alteration which I believe was due to the tendon damage. I had an arthroscopy done and after the operation still had severe pain from what I assume was tendonitis. 30 treatments and 30 days finally alleviated the pain, well besides the severe pain I felt when lifting my arm up. I have painful ARC syndrome. So now I am left with chronic pain I believe is due to the delay in diagnosis and treatment.

Comment from: virago700, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

I have bone spurs in my right shoulder which are apparently causing me pain. So far the only thing we have done is injection, but that has worn off. I don't know if I want to continue that form of treatment for the rest of my life. I have full range of motion, but with constant pain which travels out of my shoulder down my arm, chest and back

Comment from: Katy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I was in a wreck about 2 years ago and finally got an X-ray, I have bone spurs on my hip joints. I have had pain in my hip joints for almost 2 years. I also have arthritis in my hips as a result of my accident, so I'll probably take medicine for the pain for the rest of my life. I'm 54 now and was very active before my accident. Now not so much because of the pain.

Comment from: nitray123, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 22

I have bone spurs in my left and right shoulder. I have one in my bottom left foot. I have no treatment.

Comment from: sharon5050, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

Mine were in the neck. I have had two neck surgeries to remove them. They caused headaches, numbness, and pain! Both of my arms are affected by the bone spurs. I have numbness and tingling all the time. This is after surgery!

Comment from: RussJen, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 08

Folks, I've had five surgeries to remove bone spurs. Don't do it. I was very active, but not anymore. The spurs have grown back even larger than they were. I'm in more pain and I have much less mobility. Do everything you can to stay away from the knife.

Comment from: terib1228, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

My bone spur is located on the right side of my thigh. I was diagnosed 30 years ago with degenerative arthritis. The pain is excruciating, and lately I have been experiencing numbness and tingling in the lower leg area. I have been treated with cortisone shots twice. The first one took care of the pain for about six months. The second one lasted only two weeks. Ibuprofen helps for a short period of time.

Comment from: MiamiMom, 35-44 Female Published: May 04

I am an active 38 year old mom. I have had problems over the past 4 months. I have 2 bone spurs, one on the edge of the heel on the back of my foot and one on the inside of the heel bone towards the arch of my foot. After excruciating pain one day a few hours after a medium intensity workout, I decided to see a specialist. I found out that the spurs were almost a decade old, caused by a very active lifestyle. The doctor was great, took x-rays and did an ultrasound to confirm a 7 cm bone spur causing pain to the nerves in that area. Treatment was a cortisone injection, custom orthotics being ordered and 2 different boots. One for walking during the day and one for stretching at night. I am also on anti-inflammatory medication for 30 days. I hope to be back running again soon, but in the meantime, you will find me in the pool!

Bone Spurs - Cause Question: What was the cause of your bone spurs?
Bone Spurs - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with bone spurs.
Bone Spurs - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your bone spurs?