Patient Comments: Bone Spurs - Treatments

Where were your bone spurs located and what was the treatment?

Comment from: sanjay, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 03

With bone spurs I have pain on my sole with a burning effect.

Comment from: sandra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

Mine is being helped with a splint that evens my bite out. I will get my teeth fixed to match in a month or two. It's been a year-long process, but I have a great dentist that knows how to treat it. I have no pain now, but my jaw was locked a year ago.

Comment from: Nancyc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I had a bone spur under my Achilles tendon that was insertional Achilles tendinosis. I had the surgery done in December and by the end of February I was able to walk a bit. I had to use a walker for a few weeks, then a cane. I was on a knee scooter after my surgery with absolutely no weight bearing at all. That is probably the hardest part of this surgery. It took a year before all the pain was resolved, but now that foot is much better.

Comment from: cthy120, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I was going to the foot doctor for a heel spur that was tearing my Achilles. I was told by one doctor that it was an extensive surgery, peeling back layers of tendons and so forth. No weight bearing for three months. Yikes! New older doctor wants to do it the easy way, small incision to pry the ligament out of the way, and just file and round off spur! If Achilles needs a stich will do it then. Will have to wear boot for a week, says I will be back in my shoe in a week's time!

Comment from: Lynn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I was due to have an operation to remove my spur on my heel on the 14th February but being told I"d have to take 3 months off work was too much. I am in agony with it. I have a new date in September. I am really worried. I have read some disaster stories on other sites! I have to have the operation under local anesthetic which petrifies me but was told I could not be put to sleep as I would need to be on my stomach for the operation!

Comment from: Max C., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I had plantar fasciitis in one foot which led to bone spurs forming on my heel under the Achilles tendon. Needless to say it really hurt to walk for about 3 years. Finally I had surgery. They had to detach the tendon from the bone, take the spur off and reattach the tendon. I dreaded it but it turned out to be the best thing I ever did. It"s been two years now and it feels great. The worst part was the almost three months without putting weight on my foot. I'm a happy camper now. I just had (3 days ago) a spur taken out of my shoulder, minor rotator tear fixed. The spur had inflamed the bicep tendon and made it about three times the size it should have been, due to inflammation. I'm already off pain medications and looking forward to rehabilitation and getting back to the gym. Don't put it off!

Comment from: twigy260, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I just had surgery on my right foot for a bone spur on top of my foot. I was in such pain for years I had gone to my foot doctor and he said I had plantar fasciitis and advised me to wear a pad under my foot to relieve my pain. Well, this did good for a while but I finally talked to my orthopedic surgeon and he said I had a bone spur and I was in surgery the following Thursday. I am in recovery now in a soft cast and will graduate to a boot this week.

Comment from: dolittle, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 31

My bone spur is on the interior part of knee. The doctors put off treatment for 4 months, during which time I could not walk very far and had back pain as walking was wrong. Finally I was told I needed no operation and my third doctor put me on diet and gave a steroid shot (did no good). I am improving after 5 months by therapy. I wish doctors would have prescribed this earlier as I was home bound and was in psychological isolation and could not shower or take a bath or go outside. I think if therapy was started right away I could have avoided a lot of disabling movement and pain. I was also prescribed pain pills and now I am sort of dependent on them.

Bone Spurs - Cause Question: What was the cause of your bone spurs?
Bone Spurs - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with bone spurs.
Bone Spurs - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your bone spurs?