Patient Comments: Bone Spurs - Experience

Please describe your experience with bone spurs.

Comment from: Sherri, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I have had foot surgery on both feet, twice. The first surgery was to grind down the bone spurs on my heels. This surgery had lasting results. The first doctor did not clean out all the bone chips and over time they accumulated more calcium and that in turn ate the tendons up. The second surgery removed the chips and my tendons we totally removed and replaced with muscles from my thigh. This is a very painful surgery and has long lasting effects on your quality of life.

Comment from: storm8, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

This is my third bone spur. I had one removed in the 80s on my right shoulder, then one on my right hand around the thumb. And now I have one just above my wrist on my right arm. It is causing a lot of pain when I use my right arm, when I write or type. Sometimes sharp pain shoots up my arm. Because of liver damage I cannot take arthritis medications.

Comment from: Cliff, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I have a really bad pain in the base of my thumb and have difficulty lifting things with my hand. I suspect a bone spur and I am going for cortisone injections on New Year's Eve. I hope that it works, it is so painful.

Comment from: motalso222, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I have bone spurs in my left heel. There is lots of pain when I walk.

Comment from: Meme, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I have been having knee pain for a few weeks. I went to the doctor and they took X-rays and told me I had bone spurs. I have been icing and elevating for the last couple of days. My job requires me to do a lot of walking and getting in and out of my vehicle. The doctor said they could try an cortisone injection. By the end of the day, I'm in quite a bit of pain.

Comment from: mariam, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I just found out that I have a heel spur on my left foot, which is causing lots of pain. I have taken pain killers, but the pain just won't go away.

Comment from: Cathy, 55-64 Female Published: May 01

I have pain and numbness on the bottom of my right heel and a large bump on the back of the heel. The back of the heel sometimes feels like there is fluid draining inside, and I feel a pain and tingling. I can't wear a tennis shoe without it giving me a bloody heel.

Comment from: sunnyroc, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have been limping and in pain, usually above the right instep, for about five months. I just came from the foot doctor, who said the X-ray revealed a bone spur at the joint of my large toe, where it joins my foot. It turns out that five years ago I fell when my shoe slipped off my foot and have a bunion-like protrusion at the base of my large toe. This has frozen my joint and caused me to walk w/a rotation on the outside of my foot. Now I have to take medication to reduce swelling and pain. The moral of the story is: be careful with the type of shoes you wear; with an improper or loose fit, they can cause problems and foot pain like spurs later.

Comment from: Diah, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

Pain in the back of my ankle on the cartilage when I walk.

Comment from: lola, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

These are very, very painful. After having a CT scan, they found spurs in my spine. I have a procedure scheduled for May for my spine. This is before my doctor found the spurs. I'm not sure what the procedure for spurring is. I can't bend over, vacuum, make beds, or stand for short periods to do dishes. I take pain medication, but I need to stop, due to liver inflammation.

Bone Spurs - Treatments Question: Where were your bone spurs located and what was the treatment?
Bone Spurs - Cause Question: What was the cause of your bone spurs?
Bone Spurs - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your bone spurs?