Patient Comments: Bone Density Scan - Experience

Question:Please describe your experience receiving a bone density scan.

Comment from: Mary h, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 14

It is very difficult for a person with physical limitations to access the table for the scan. It would be better if it could be lowered so that people could access it from a wheelchair. If this is available, I would appreciate that information. The test itself is painless and gives the information needed to assist in treating osteoporosis.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

Couldn't have been easier. I was told not to take any vitamins or calcium the morning of the test. Wore no jewelry or metal. Was asked to remove my shoes and lay on the table. Nothing touched me, didn't have to hold my breath. Beginning to end no more than 15 minutes.

Comment from: NYCEMT, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

My bone density scan was very simple. I was asked if I was wearing anything with metal (No), didn't have to disrobe, laid back on the table, and a device that looks like an inverted "L" moved over me. I did not have to hold my breath, or be kept in an awkward position. It was quick, easy, and painless.

Comment from: Lp, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

It is a simple procedure. Just lay on table and a machine takes pictures. Nothing touches you and you are not enclosed.