Patient Comments: Bone Cancer - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your bone cancer?

Comment from: jess, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 07

My mother who is 45 this year was diagnosed with breast cancer stage 3 in October 2008 when the doctor found a lump in her ribcage and had it removed. She then had chemotherapy for a while before considering alternative treatments; one which she took for two months was ozone treatment. The treatment involved clearing the toxic elements from the blood and then pumping pure oxygen into the blood. The treatment helped her regain strength, improve digestive system and also appetite. We were happy to see her having meals. However not long after she began coughing and experiencing breathing issues, which then the doctor confirmed liquid formed in both her lungs. She then had some removed, the water keeps reforming but till today we don't know if the ozone treatment somehow contributed to it. She then continued with chemo and also has a huge tumor in her breast but doctor still finds her unfit for a surgery. We recently discovered that her terrible leg pain is just more than pain. we are hoping that the doctor will be able to treat that effectively and then hopefully she will be fit for the surgery as its hard watching her going through so much pain and unable to do anything to help her at all. It's hard to tell her each time don't give up, you are going to be better when she's crying in pain. To other patients with loss of appetite, would kindly like to suggest you to dine with family and friends in different locations and different type of food compared to what you usually have. Maybe some Chinese style stews or soup, notorious but different. It helps when everyone around you eats with you.

Comment from: Vanessa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I found out June, 09 that I had osteosarcoma. I started chemo a few weeks later. I am a 33 year old female which makes this very rare. Mine was a high rate cancer. There have been many times when I wanted to give up. Family and friends mean well but unless I've ever been to hell and back u really can't understand what it's like. Even the doctors can't understand what you are going through. I've had the bone in my leg from about 6 inches above my knee to right above my ankle and my complete knee replaced with mostly metal, this was done Nov. 21. Today is Jan 19th, and I just took my 1st steps (with the brace). Still have some more chemo and waiting for my hair to grow back, but today I'm cancer free and I still have both legs. I will never b able to run again, but I'll be able to watch my children grow. So please if you have cancer don't ever give up the fight. You can win the battle no matter how hard it is or how depressed you get.

Comment from: Wendy, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 27

My father was diagnosed with bone cancer related to his prostate. They are treating him with hormone therapy. They say if this therapy works he could survive at least five years. The cancer is in his back, legs, and ribs.

Comment from: Jean, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2000. I underwent lumpectomy, chemo, and radiation. In 2008 I noticed a lump on my sternum. My breast cancer had metastasized to my liver and bones. In 2008 I started chemo again, and medication for the bone cancer. Now in 2010 the tumor in my sternum has started to increase in size. I have been on various chemo meds. Once the tumors do not respond to that particular med, my doctor tries another chemo med or combo of meds. The tumors in my liver have not grown much in the past 2 years. This is the first that the tumor in my sternum has changed since 2008.

Comment from: Jennie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I first had breast cancer, and they removed all my right lymph nodes. Unfortunately, it had gone to the bone. I had no other tumors. I received no chemo or radiation. I had a lumpectomy in my right breast. I was given Femara daily and Zometa, a bone strengthener, monthly. My PET scan showed shrinkage in the bone tumor. It was mostly in my lower back. I responded well to this medicine, and they are continuing it.

Comment from: missing dad, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 07

My father was also treated with hormone therapy for prostate cancer. He developed lung cancer and we found out after that, that hormone treatment accelerates lung cancer. He passed away 2 months after finding the lung cancer. I suggest you get more information on hormone therapy before it's too late.

Bone Cancer - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis for your bone cancer?
Bone Cancer - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you have for your bone cancer?
Bone Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with bone cancer?
Bone Cancer - Types Question: What type of bone cancer do you have?
Bone Cancer - Tests Question: What tests did you have to diagnose your bone cancer?
Bone Cancer - Children Question: Did you or your child have bone cancer? What type is/was it, and how was it detected and treated?