Patient Comments: Boils - Causes

Has a boil ever become infected? If so, what was the outcome?

Comment from: ayeinfidel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I was cutting a branch off a tree. The limb was starting to give, I heard it starting to crack, I knew the branch was ready to snap, so I tied a rope around the limb and got off the ladder. I tugged at the branch just a little bit and the branch threw me back hard, and it was very heavy. I landed on my elbow, and I was in pain at the shoulder. I immediately went to take a hot shower to see if that would help reduce the pain. I got it x-rayed and sure enough, I do have an out of socket rotator cuff injury. I have limited movement of my shoulder, but I can move it if I try. I ignore the pain. I take two NSAIDs in the morning, no other pain killers. I won't chance any surgery. I can no longer do bench presses though!

Comment from: nanad, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

My body is wet with sweating. I have to wipe with a towel, my back and face, in the day time as well as at night time. I stopped having hot flashes a year ago, but now get these night sweats.

Comment from: Virginia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

My surgeon removed a cancerous lipoma and it got infected by him not giving wound care. It then turned into a hematoma inside my leg which created a hole inside my leg 3 inches deep, and then it grew on the outside of me leg. It was the size of a 6 inch Subway. I couldn't walk, sit, nothing! I begged him to do something, he wouldn't, and I went into acute sepsis. I was found lying on the concrete and rushed to the hospital where I almost died because the infection had traveled to my heart. They were squeezing IV bags to get my blood pressure up, it was 60/20 and heart rate was 30. I had 4 different antibiotics going at all times. They got me stable and then did emergency surgery. But now I have a huge hole on the back of my leg and it won't heal. So on November 13, 2015 I had surgery to take out dead skin and that made the hole bigger. It goes from one edge of my leg to the other side 3 inch deep, 3 inch wide and 12 cm long. I have lost more than 50 lb. I am very sick and have cancer. The pain is beyond horrible. I have many dressings a day. They said I could die and or lose my leg because of what this surgeon did. The wound center wants me to wear the wound VAC but I can't tolerate the pain now if they put on the vacuum pressure. And suction is going to kill me. I can't walk, I am in wheel chair. During this last surgery the found a boil and lanced it and a tumor was inside too, that is packed with gauze. I just don't know what to do, I get home care now because of the risk of infection in a hospital. The surgeons told me to get my affairs in order. I am dying because a doctor was not doing his job and now I get infections all the time, and being septic for 3 months cut my life span. I hope that these new doctors can save my life and leg. I should have done a back ground check on the first surgeon because now I am paying for it with my life. I don't want to die from this.

Comment from: Liz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I'm 30 years old and have dealt with boils for as long as I can remember but in October 2012 I had a boil that was at least the size of a peach pit, in the groin area. I was 9 months pregnant with my son. They had to lance the boil because it was so severely infected and then they cleaned it with water and then packed it with some medical gaze called packing strips. They packed this boil like that 3 times a day for 10 days. Finally on the 4th day I could have my C-section to have my son. It was the worst pain ever.

Comment from: N/A, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I had a boil one time on my buttocks. It had swelled so bad that the pain was more than I could stand. It finally festered up and popped. That was a great day for relief! I never had another boil again.

Comment from: steve, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

The surgical team was very good, before and after lumbar laminectomy. I should have done this in 6 or 7 vertebrae. It is 5 days and I have mostly burning type leg pain. I am walking lightly. Construction work can wait.

Boils - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your boils?
Boils - Location and Symptoms Question: Where was your boil located and what were the developing symptoms?
Boils - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with boils.