Patient Comments: Boils - Causes

Has a boil ever become infected? If so, what was the outcome?

Comment from: Liz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I'm 30 years old and have dealt with boils for as long as I can remember but in October 2012 I had a boil that was at least the size of a peach pit, in the groin area. I was 9 months pregnant with my son. They had to lance the boil because it was so severely infected and then they cleaned it with water and then packed it with some medical gaze called packing strips. They packed this boil like that 3 times a day for 10 days. Finally on the 4th day I could have my C-section to have my son. It was the worst pain ever.

Comment from: N/A, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I had a boil one time on my buttocks. It had swelled so bad that the pain was more than I could stand. It finally festered up and popped. That was a great day for relief! I never had another boil again.

Comment from: Jessie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I got a pilonidal cyst at 18 years old. I suffered with it for two years, then had it surgically removed. There is a horrific scar! In my late 20's I started getting staph boils every so often. Now I get them once or twice a year (I'm in my 50's) almost always in the groin area. They are huge and extremely painful. I've never had one lanced, as they seem to resolve with warm baths and antibiotics. The one I am currently battling appears to be getting worse however. It is in the groin area and is the size of a large marble probably larger. I went to the emergency room tonight and they gave me antibiotics. I will go see my regular physician tomorrow. Ohhh... the pain!

Comment from: Robs, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I had a large boil under my armpit, about the size of a golf ball. The doctor said that if it didn't drain in two days, I had to get it lanced. No way was I going to do that. My chemist gave me Magnoplasm and I put on a thick amount applied to gauze and stuck it on the boil. 6 hours later, the boil oozed out and went for two days. Very effective. I also took Panadeine for the pain and antibiotics. All good. Best treatment ever. Don't go through the pain of lancing when you doen't have to.

Comment from: Pb77, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

I have now been suffering with boils for 5 months, blood tests and everything have been done, but with no results, I have gone to see an infectious disease expert and his findings were that there is sometimes no reason for what is happening. I have had 5 boils in five months and I am 34 years old. The doctor put me on doxicillin permanently at 100 mg a day and asked that I cleansed at least one a week with a high quality antibacterial soap. I was tested positive once for a staph infection during the last 5 months. Since the treatment I have had no large boils.

Comment from: connem, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I had a boil in my groin lanced and given antibiotics the next morning I could stand up straight. I went to the ER and was diagnosed with bacterial endocarditis and spinal stenosis .I had bacterial endocarditis in 1991 and was told I had no vegetation. Had mitral valve repair in 1997. Several physicians said I did not have bacterial endocarditis.

Comment from: neil, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

I am a 50 year old healthy male. 'Boil' was a dreaded word for me for ages. I suffered a lot due to this, the appearance of the boil on my body was an almost continuous process. If one is drained out another will appear. I was even scared that I was infected with some incurable ailment. All tests were done but no relief from boils. I had actually started loosing all hope, then one medicine worked wonders for me. It called T Bact Muprocin Ointment USP, which I applied in the nostrils regularly for about a month. This medicine worked great. I am sharing this only to help those who are suffering from boils like I did for years. Now I have not had a single boil in the past year.

Boils - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your boils?
Boils - Location and Symptoms Question: Where was your boil located and what were the developing symptoms?
Boils - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with boils.