Patient Comments: Boils - Experience

Please describe your experience with boils.

Comment from: RedCheckGingam, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I got my first boil at age 18. I am now 40 and up till 3 years ago I got them all the time. One of the best things is garlic taken internally every day; the real thing and not the soft gels, works the best. Second, a bath /soak in Epsom salt, as much as you can, or make a paste; but the soak works best. Third, after the soak Prid salve, or even baking soda, need something that draws, and a Band-Aid if in a location that you can, otherwise skip this step. If it is in the groin area it can be hard to do this. I can't stress enough that garlic works, try it!

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I'll share with you my experience. I suffered with boils all over my body in 2013 for over six months, treated with strong antibiotics each month. I went to a dentist and asked for an x-ray. It showed infection in my tooth (with crown on it). After the extraction of the tooth all the boils have gone and my very painful and long experience with boils have finished.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I have gotten two boils in the last month. I can tell you what has worked for me. At the first sign of a boil I mix water and baking soda to form a paste and apply it to the boil. It helps draw the infection out and reduces the pain. I have avoided the doctor on both occasions.

Comment from: CLO, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have had boils everywhere, including my breasts, armpits, and all over the groin area including my buttocks. I hate it so much, so much pain. I have been on many antibiotics, vitamin C, and probiotics. This has been happening to me since I was 16 and I am now 42. No doctor can tell me why it happens to me. I am not a diabetic and not a smoker. I am just a bit overweight. No answers for me yet.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I had one huge boil on my right buttock at 18, after being on a very strict low calorie diet. It was very painful, and eventually burst while on the toilet. The blood and pus was unbelievable, it left a gaping hole, and I still have a scar. Now, at 47, I've been on strict diet for 7 weeks. I am developing a sizeable boil again on right buttock, and three smaller ones on the left. I wonder if there is a specific nutritional deficiency that I can rectify.

Comment from: kutemwa, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 17

My boil is located under the armpit.

Comment from: Angel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

Every spring I get a boil in my left inner thigh where the elastic on my underwear rubs. Maybe I am sitting more than usual, have been to two doctors and they give me a crème antibiotic. It was about gone a month ago until a short stay in hospital when I let the boil go without crème. I put paper towels on my recliner but I need to find something I can sit on that does not aggravate the boil. I do not wear underpants anymore except for granny pants. I am a caretaker and this is something that needs to get resolved. I am on blood thinner.

Comment from: Lolita, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I started getting boils when I turned 13. I was told it was a virus and they eventually went away until I got older. Now that I'm in my late 30s they appear now every time my cycle is about to start. It may be something to do with the hormones being produced more, causing the problem. But I've learned that using acne medicine will help reduce them and eventually bring them to a head and they burst and I use Neosporin after they have drained.

Boils - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your boils?
Boils - Causes Question: Has a boil ever become infected? If so, what was the outcome?
Boils - Location and Symptoms Question: Where was your boil located and what were the developing symptoms?