Patient Comments: Boils - Experience

Please describe your experience with boils.

Comment from: gloryb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I just developed a boil in the crease of my vagina, next to my thigh. At first I didn't know what it was, till I went to doctor. She lanced it, nothing much came out. It was about the size of a 50 cent piece and very painful! I have had this for 6 days now and it's not drained much. She put me on doxycycline antibiotic and I have used heating pad and sitz bath, not much help. I used toothpaste, fatback; nothing seems to work. It is still hard and painful. I also had aches and chills and stayed out of work 4 days. I have never had anything like this in my 62 years! I can't miss any more work! I started taking vitamin C, read somewhere that would build up immune system.

Comment from: OG., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I started having boils about 2 years ago. Before then I used 2 have it sparsely. But since 2 years ago, I have had series of boils on my buttocks and thighs. I've gone to the hospital to see the doctor and I was put on antibiotic and pain reliever. I had some break this year and have been happy to see only 4 new boils show under my armpit and leg this time around. They are so painful and healing slowly. I've started using the antibiotic again. It's such an ugly experience.

Comment from: Pplskunk, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I am 44 and I just got 3 abscesses in a row! I don't remember the first antibiotic but it worked and it mostly went away. The second time I had to have it opened up and they gave me Bactrim. Well, about 8 days into taking the antibiotic I had an allergic reaction to the Bactrim. My temperature had gotten back to normal and then I woke up with a temperature of 103.6 and hives all over my body. It took 4 days for that to go away. And now here I am 28 days later back on antibiotics (clindamycin) with another boil just as painful as the first 3 months ago.

Comment from: Fiona, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have had a boil type lump under my skin in my groin area on left side for 12 or more weeks. I"ve squeezed it on lots of occasions and there is brown liquid squirting out, it just keeps filling up. Now I"ve noticed there"s another underneath forming but doesn"t pop, but can feel something when I try pop it. I"m worried now, I wash daily but am over weight!

Comment from: Lav, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I get boils after eating cheeses, yogurt or drinking milk. I can tell when it is getting ready to appear, I get very warm in my private area and then in a few days a boil appears. If I don't eat these items I have no boils.

Comment from: Love2Shop, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I just recently developed a boil on my bikini area, it is the size of a golf ball. It is very difficult to sit and walk. I've tried all of the home remedies, the hot packs, topical ointment, everything and this boil seems to be getting bigger. Off to the doctor I go.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have a boil that formed under my breast after a trip out of state. The trip was hot and I sweated for the first time. I went to my physician and was given an ointment and now the boil has formed in another location.

Comment from: tdstover, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I get a lot of them down by my swim suit area. I can hardly shave down there that much because they get worse. It's embarrassing and they hurt so bad as they rub when I wear my pants. I even get them behind my ears and they stink and smell bad.

Boils - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your boils?
Boils - Causes Question: Has a boil ever become infected? If so, what was the outcome?
Boils - Location and Symptoms Question: Where was your boil located and what were the developing symptoms?