Patient Comments: Boils - Experience

Please describe your experience with boils.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I have gotten two boils in the last month. I can tell you what has worked for me. At the first sign of a boil I mix water and baking soda to form a paste and apply it to the boil. It helps draw the infection out and reduces the pain. I have avoided the doctor on both occasions.

Comment from: CLO, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have had boils everywhere, including my breasts, armpits, and all over the groin area including my buttocks. I hate it so much, so much pain. I have been on many antibiotics, vitamin C, and probiotics. This has been happening to me since I was 16 and I am now 42. No doctor can tell me why it happens to me. I am not a diabetic and not a smoker. I am just a bit overweight. No answers for me yet.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I had one huge boil on my right buttock at 18, after being on a very strict low calorie diet. It was very painful, and eventually burst while on the toilet. The blood and pus was unbelievable, it left a gaping hole, and I still have a scar. Now, at 47, I've been on strict diet for 7 weeks. I am developing a sizeable boil again on right buttock, and three smaller ones on the left. I wonder if there is a specific nutritional deficiency that I can rectify.

Comment from: Angel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

Every spring I get a boil in my left inner thigh where the elastic on my underwear rubs. Maybe I am sitting more than usual, have been to two doctors and they give me a crème antibiotic. It was about gone a month ago until a short stay in hospital when I let the boil go without crème. I put paper towels on my recliner but I need to find something I can sit on that does not aggravate the boil. I do not wear underpants anymore except for granny pants. I am a caretaker and this is something that needs to get resolved. I am on blood thinner.

Comment from: Lolita, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I started getting boils when I turned 13. I was told it was a virus and they eventually went away until I got older. Now that I'm in my late 30s they appear now every time my cycle is about to start. It may be something to do with the hormones being produced more, causing the problem. But I've learned that using acne medicine will help reduce them and eventually bring them to a head and they burst and I use Neosporin after they have drained.

Comment from: kutemwa, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 17

My boil is located under the armpit.

Comment from: Mumajuma, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I have had boils my whole life. I get them under my arm, in the groin and on my butt. I have been diagnosed with a condition called hidradenitis suppurativa. Hope this helps some of you. Unfortunately there has been no cure for me.

Comment from: gloryb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I just developed a boil in the crease of my vagina, next to my thigh. At first I didn't know what it was, till I went to doctor. She lanced it, nothing much came out. It was about the size of a 50 cent piece and very painful! I have had this for 6 days now and it's not drained much. She put me on doxycycline antibiotic and I have used heating pad and sitz bath, not much help. I used toothpaste, fatback; nothing seems to work. It is still hard and painful. I also had aches and chills and stayed out of work 4 days. I have never had anything like this in my 62 years! I can't miss any more work! I started taking vitamin C, read somewhere that would build up immune system.

Boils - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your boils?
Boils - Causes Question: Has a boil ever become infected? If so, what was the outcome?
Boils - Location and Symptoms Question: Where was your boil located and what were the developing symptoms?