Patient Comments: Boils - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your boils?

Comment from: Tiredofboils, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

While shaving I have gotten many boils no matter what I do. I recently had a boil the size of a silver dollar on the inside of my thigh. Tired of getting lectures about my immune system being bad due to diabetes I asked my sister for advice. Her advice was to use Smile"s PRID (homeopathic salve 18 GM). I found it at Walmart and spread it on a bandage and covered the boil, for me it worked. It has been less than a week and the boil has drained, is smaller than a quarter and no longer hurts. Thank you sis.

Comment from: Pearl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

After reading many of your stories I wanted to put in my two cents. When I was thirty-five my daughter came home from preschool with a boil on her leg. I thought I had done everything to make sure I didn"t catch her staph infection. Alas, I did not wear gloves when I washed her. I then became infected and felt I had the plague. After reading everything I could, I started taking acidophilus (probiotic) everyday as a preventative to staph. Now I am sixty-three and have my first boil after about twenty-five years. Staph lays dormant and does not go away until something triggers it. Stress in my case after taking care of my mother who has Alzheimer"s I believe is the culprit. I am now going to double my dosage of acidophilus along with antibiotics. I have never stopped taking my acidophilus and will always continue as a course of preventive medicine.

Comment from: Helpful, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I used to suffer from chronic boils so badly in the armpits that they had developed sinus passages to move the infection from place to place. I had surgery to have them removed, 48 stitches in the left and 60 in the right and they still came back, though much better than before. I ended up changing my diet to gluten free for 6 months and during that time I had no boils. When eating gluten again they came back in 2 weeks. After switching back to a gluten free (mostly) diet I have been boil/cyst free for 2 years.

Comment from: Larsy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I mentioned to my doctor I suffered from boils, almost like cluster boils; deep, fairly large boils. She said to take 500mg of vitamin C daily. I was on vitamin C for a year, and they went away. Amazing. I ran out, and they came back. Needless to say, I"m back on vitamin C.

Comment from: Orami, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I had one on my side about a year back. It kept draining blood/pus and would soak bandages all the way through. I ended up going to the doctor that put me on oral antibiotics and gave me a shot of antibiotics. After that it got better. I recently had another one, this time on my lower mid back that got large and then shrunk on its own, although there is still a hole there (I can feel it). All I did this time is put TAO (troleandomycin) on it, used hydrogen peroxide/tea tree oil on the area, washed it twice a day in the shower and I also drained it as much as I could. Eventually a Q-tip sized black thing came out of the center and it started to get better rapidly.

Comment from: arniethek, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I am a 64-year old male who has inexplicably developed a series of large, unsightly, and at times painful boils all over my buttocks that are spreading like wildfire to my thighs and chest. The dermatologist has put me a two-week course of Doxycycline 100 mg twice daily plus the probiotic Align. I was instructed to take the antibiotic with breakfast and dinner. He also performed a nasal culture and a culture of one cyst to identify the culprit bacteria. We"ll wait and see what happens. So far, after two doses, I have experienced no gastric distress.

Comment from: penny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I was plagued by boils. I do have kidney problems and diabetes is prevalent in my family. Heat does help to draw out. To prevent boils, I use mouthwash every day on any areas where boils usually occur (especially my face and now that I am old with looser skin, my sitting area) and I rub a light coat of Neosporin on the area almost every day. I have been doing that since I have been about 35 years old. My skin looks clear and healthy. Mouthwash does not dry out my face; it does the opposite as you may think. My daughter who is plagued with acne uses this treatment also with success. Side benefits for me: This treatment helps with wrinkles, my skin is very clear and I am told I look 10 years younger than I am.

Boils - Causes Question: Has a boil ever become infected? If so, what was the outcome?
Boils - Location and Symptoms Question: Where was your boil located and what were the developing symptoms?
Boils - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with boils.