Patient Comments: Boils - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your boils?

Comment from: Tlyna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I do the same things for boils, whiteheads and blackheads, and have for decades. Despite what doctors tell you I have never had a spreading infection from one. I do this the moment I notice them. They always dry up immediately and have left no scarring. I sterilize a needle in alcohol and let it air dry. I then lance the boil or whatever with it and drain the spot as much as possible. I then pour a small amount of hydrogen peroxide on it let it bubble for a minute or so and then repeat several times over until the bubbling slows then let it air dry. I do not touch it with anything until it has sealed itself. Most of the pain (caused by the pressure) is gone and by the next day the redness is gone and within a few days it looks normal. I do the same with fire ant bites and have no problems with them, no pain, no itching and no scarring and they are gone in no time.

Comment from: sushicam, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I have had a chronic staph infection for 14 years. I got it in hospital. For about 6 months, I've been using a blue light treatment (designed to kill acne bacteria) on the boil-prone areas with great success. As they usually appear on my face and leave deep scars, I am glad to be able to use the blue light at the first sign of a lesion, which is usually a painful swelling under the skin. They are so deep that I usually cannot drain them. However, persistent use with the blue and red light (blue for bacteria, red to reduce inflammation) seem to quiet them down very quickly. I use a Baby Quasar Clear Rayz for intensive treatment, but I use Neutrogena's inexpensive light therapy mask daily. I wish I'd learned about these sooner.

Comment from: Dr Levinstein, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I used a heating pad in high, and the boil erupted in less than a half hour.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 13

An over the counter remedy called Boil Ease relieves boils. It causes it to drain.

Comment from: Lars, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have had a boil in the same spot reoccurring over the years. I have finally realized that it is only when I eat a diet of no processed foods, breads, or pasta it clears up instantly, like 3 to 4 days. I do eat sprouted grain bread, protein, vegetables, and fruit but nothing processed. I swear they are diet related. That's my two cents!

Comment from: verybadpatient, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

I am using an Indian healing clay as treatment after boil has begun to drain, hope it is not harmful.

Comment from: farmerpatient, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 12

I have been suffering from boils for about 6 years now, mostly on my legs and groin area, but a couple of times in the armpit area and a little bit on my chest too. The only thing that has worked for me is Boil Gone which stings a little bit but it is worth it and works better when I use it when the boil is first forming under the skin. Hope that helps someone.

Comment from: lll, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I get boils when I wear pantyhose and have been getting them for years. My mother-in-law told me to eat raisins. I hate raisins but when I started eating them (2 tablespoons per day) I quit having boils.

Boils - Complications Question: Has a boil ever become infected? If so, what was the outcome?
Boils - Location and Symptoms Question: Where was your boil located and what were the developing symptoms?
Boils - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with boils.