Patient Comments: Boils - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your boils?

Comment from: Lars, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have had a boil in the same spot reoccurring over the years. I have finally realized that it is only when I eat a diet of no processed foods, breads, or pasta it clears up instantly, like 3 to 4 days. I do eat sprouted grain bread, protein, vegetables, and fruit but nothing processed. I swear they are diet related. That's my two cents!

Comment from: farmerpatient, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 12

I have been suffering from boils for about 6 years now, mostly on my legs and groin area, but a couple of times in the armpit area and a little bit on my chest too. The only thing that has worked for me is Boil Gone which stings a little bit but it is worth it and works better when I use it when the boil is first forming under the skin. Hope that helps someone.

Comment from: lll, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I get boils when I wear pantyhose and have been getting them for years. My mother-in-law told me to eat raisins. I hate raisins but when I started eating them (2 tablespoons per day) I quit having boils.

Comment from: Sonia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

For chronic recurring boils also known as HS (hidradenitis suppurativa) - must read 'Hidden Plague' by Tara Grant. These boils are autoimmune related, if you get them you know it's linked to your stress, immune system, hormones, all of the above. This book has put my painful boil/HS into remission; all just by cutting out my trigger foods!

Comment from: MR B, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 17

The most effective way I found to deal with boils was to sweat regularly. Letting the body purify the skin by sweating all the impurities out of the body. Work out regularly, stop being lazy, and get some sweat pouring and dripping. Your skin will look better and better the more you sweat.

Comment from: verybadpatient, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

I am using an Indian healing clay as treatment after boil has begun to drain, hope it is not harmful.

Comment from: Ravenfire, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I suffer from recurring boils, usually on the inner thigh and underarms. Mine tend not to get to the 'soft' stage, where they are able to drain; instead they just stay large and hard, and then eventually go back down again. Very frustrating and sore, especially since I am allergic to the 'glues' on most Band-Aids and adhesive strips. Doctors have been hopeless in helping with the treatment. I use a medicated soap, showering twice a day, and keep the areas as clean as possible, but living in a hot and humid climate, I tend to sweat which is a large part of the problem, I think. I'm currently starting a weight loss regime in the hope that will help, as nothing else seems to be working.

Comment from: Tom, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 14

I had chronic painful armpit boils most of the time. I tried various lotions, special soaps, talked to doctor, and nothing worked. Finally I found a method that prevents them totally for me. I have not had one boil in 6 months. When washing my armpits, 1. Use ivory soap. 2. Wash with warm water, not hot or cold. 3. Wash with hands only, do not rub with washcloth! 4. Rinse in shower, rub armpits with hands only to remove all soap. 5. Pat armpits to dry, do not rub with towel.

Boils - Causes Question: Has a boil ever become infected? If so, what was the outcome?
Boils - Location and Symptoms Question: Where was your boil located and what were the developing symptoms?
Boils - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with boils.