Patient Comments: Boils - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your boils?

Comment from: penny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I was plagued by boils. I do have kidney problems and diabetes is prevalent in my family. Heat does help to draw out. To prevent boils, I use mouthwash every day on any areas where boils usually occur (especially my face and now that I am old with looser skin, my sitting area) and I rub a light coat of Neosporin on the area almost every day. I have been doing that since I have been about 35 years old. My skin looks clear and healthy. Mouthwash does not dry out my face; it does the opposite as you may think. My daughter who is plagued with acne uses this treatment also with success. Side benefits for me: This treatment helps with wrinkles, my skin is very clear and I am told I look 10 years younger than I am.

Comment from: arniethek, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I am a 64-year old male who has inexplicably developed a series of large, unsightly, and at times painful boils all over my buttocks that are spreading like wildfire to my thighs and chest. The dermatologist has put me a two-week course of Doxycycline 100 mg twice daily plus the probiotic Align. I was instructed to take the antibiotic with breakfast and dinner. He also performed a nasal culture and a culture of one cyst to identify the culprit bacteria. We"ll wait and see what happens. So far, after two doses, I have experienced no gastric distress.

Comment from: Mjane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

At 65 I developed many tiny boils under both arms. I have never ever had boils before. Though the doctor prescribed doxycycline I instead took turmeric 1000 mg and 2 droppers full of colloidal silver and 2 droppers full dandelion tincture per day for 1 month. I also used Neosporin ointment and a heating lamp. The boils dried up and one small one burst. One must drink lots of water, minimum of 1 gallon per day and also take vitamin supplements.

Published: July 15

My daughter is 20 mos old and she just got another boil/abscess. This will be her 3rd one. The first two were on her butt and this new one is on her belly, she been getting them since she was 9mos. they start out small, like a bug bite. or pimple. and within days it will get bigger and redder. To drain them I found that (this part hurts the most) taking a warm/hot cloth and some fresh ginger seems to help pull the puss out. Then we take a trip to the doctors as well.

Published: June 24

Since I was a teenager, I have gotten boils at least once a month on my inner thighs. I have found the best way to deal with them is hot compresses, gauze, and a good anti-bacterial soap and topical cream. I recently had a rather large one (the size of a golf ball, maybe slightly larger) and had to go to the local ER to have it lanced. The doctor lanced it, wrapped it in non adhesive gauze and told me to take a lukewarm sitz bath three times a day, wash it with antibacterial soap. He gave me two prescriptions for antibiotics (Keflex and Bactrim) along with a mild painkiller. I've never had a boil this large or this painful before, so we shall see.

Comment from: 40_suffer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I've had infected boils for almost 6 years now. No matter what type of medicine I'm put on or how many I'm told to take at a time, they never go away. I've seen many doctors about this and I still suffer at 40 years of age.

Comment from: Andie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I am 22 years old and had a boil in my abdomen and now I have one in my upper right breast. I'm really worried since it's in my breast. I've tried fresh ginger and it didn't grow big but still it's not yet healed.

Comment from: Papabear, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 13

My husband has had many boils on his back. They would appear often. First he was told he needed iron pills. After being diagnosed as anemic and needing blood transfusions, we haven't seen anymore.

Boils - Causes Question: Has a boil ever become infected? If so, what was the outcome?
Boils - Location and Symptoms Question: Where was your boil located and what were the developing symptoms?
Boils - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with boils.