Patient Comments: Boils - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your boils?

Comment from: scared, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I am 24 and got my first boil two weeks ago on my top left buttocks area. I got it after flying to another country. It got big and painful, so I had to go to a doctor. It was drained and I was cured. I was so happy for two weeks, since it vanished so fast. But two days ago I found a small boil on my waist. Today I got another on my left thigh. I'm not sure what to do. I'm a student, but I can't study anymore with a peaceful mind because of this.

Comment from: Mvelmont, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 13

I recall our whole family having a bout with boils when I was in third grade. We used bag balm with a bandage that would help draw out the infection. No troubles since. Now I think my three year old has one. She has had a bout of folliculitis a few weeks ago which required antibiotics and bleach baths. My 8 year old had MRSA after getting a rug burn at a bouncy house. It got infected and it spread. Bleach baths and topical antibiotic cream did the trick. Now I believe this boil is a result of my 3 year olds trouble with folliculitis. Putting bag balm and a bandage resulted in it draining within a few hours. Changing the bandage and putting more bag balm keeps it draining...it hurts her and affects her walking. We have an appointment with the doctor if it doesn't get better in two days. Doing a bleach bath now and will do antibiotic topical cream and bag balm.

Published: July 21

I am 37 years old and just got my first boil. The first two days, it was a small. Then it grew to the size of a quarter and hurt like crazy any time it rubbed against my sleeve or breast. I didn't know what it was at first, so I left it alone. By the fifth day, it grew to the size of a 50 cent piece and deep. I applied hot towels soaked in vinegar and wrapped them like some lady told me to do. I sealed it with tape over night. In the morning, it came to the surface, and I did the same process again. It was painful, and I couldn't walk or lift my arms. I went to bed and it burned so bad because it had started to drain. It burned before but this was a stinging, painful burn. After some fluid was released, it felt better and I could walk and move again, but it hurt still. It slowly keeps draining. It has been six days now. I keep it clean and bandage it. Here's my process: 1). I clean it with a soft damp towel, soap and water. 2). I put on peroxide. 3.) I put medicine on the fabric bandage called Boil Ease that I bought at my local drugstore. Tonight, I will apply heated towels over the bandage and clean it again. I must do the bandaging three times a day if it is draining, sometimes more. It is still huge. Somehow it is just keeps releasing fluid, but a friend told me I might have to lance it at the doctor's since it is so big.

Published: July 17

I have been experiencing boils for over a year now. I have been using Goldline Ichthammol Ointment 20% this stuff works miracles. These are so painful but with this it takes it away much faster. Heating pads and hot presses also works. You will need to ask for the stuff at the pharmacy since they do not have it on the shelves.

Published: July 16

I have gotten boils since I was nine years old, right as I hit puberty. They were under my arms, one under my breast, one at the bikini line, and in the groin area. I am now 46 and still get them. This led to Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) because of my immune system. Hot compresses, I found, were the only thing that helped.

Published: July 10

I have had butt acne since I was a kid. This problem has gotten worse. Doctors tell me that it is not curable. I been test for MRSA and it's not that now they have me taking solodyn 135mg for maybe the rest of my life. I still get boils. I have been using an anti bacterial soap body wash that seemed to be working great and the next thing I knew I got a huge boil in the inside of my butt cheek. It is very painful and I get very embarrassed because I'm a woman and I have this very ugly problem that I hide.

Published: June 30

I have a 16-year-old daughter and approximately three months ago, she got a boil. I took her to the doctor and they gave her antibiotics I thought that this would be a one-time occurrence, but since then, she has had several appear. They continue to get higher and higher up her body. They started at the base of her bottom and have gradually moved up her buttocks and now she has one on her side.

Boils - Causes Question: Has a boil ever become infected? If so, what was the outcome?
Boils - Location and Symptoms Question: Where was your boil located and what were the developing symptoms?
Boils - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with boils.