- Phobias Slideshow Pictures
- Depression Tips Slideshow Pictures
- Top Concentration Killers Slideshow
- Patient Comments: Body Dysmorphic Disorder - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Body Dysmorphic Disorder - Treatment
- Find a local Psychiatrist in your town
Treatment for BDD
- Medications. Serotonin reuptake inhibitors or SSRIs are antidepressants that decrease the obsessive and compulsive behaviors.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy. This is a type of therapy with several steps:
- The therapist asks the patient to enter social situations without covering up her "defect."
- The therapist helps the patient stop doing the compulsive behaviors to check the defect or cover it up. This may include removing mirrors, covering skin areas that the patient picks, or not using make-up.
- The therapist helps the patient change their false beliefs about their appearance.
United States. WomensHealth.gov. "Body Image." Sept. 22, 2009. <http://womenshealth.gov/body-image/cosmetic-surgery/>.