Patient Comments: Blood in Urine - Causes

What was the cause of blood in your urine?

Comment from: still kicking, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 18

After mowing my lawn with a riding mower about 2 months ago, I had a lot of blood in my urine, evidenced by a bright red urine. This lasted for 2 days and finally cleared up. The urine was normal for the next 2 months until I mowed yesterday. There was blood in the urine again! I suspect possible tumor(s) in the bladder as I also have trouble urinating at times or feel the need to urinate, going several times at night. Prostate has been cleared as a problem. The urologist is going to do a cystogram next month, so I'll learn more then.

Comment from: bladder, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

On September 21, 2013, it was a hot day, I climbed up a mountain for two/three hours without drinking any water, and discovered blood urine (gross hematuria) when I had a coffee break. Needless to say, I was scared, and went to see my family physician. He ordered: blood work, urine (microscopic) test, ultra sound of bladder, prostate and kidney. Everything came back normal (except prostate enlargement), then he referred me to an urologist for a cystoscopy. However, it took exactly two months to have the cystoscopy done (November 21, 2013). It just took the urologist 30 seconds to go into the bladder and everything was normal (a big relief). My family physician suspected me to have bladder cancer in the first place, due to my age (I am 60), he asked me whether I smoke and dye my hair. It looks like: age, smoke, paints, leather, dyeing are risk factors for bladder cancer. He didn't give me any antibiotic because he said male is less likely to get UTI (urinary tract infection).

Comment from: See a doctor, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I am a 46 year old female who experienced a UTI around 25 years ago. I have not had any symptoms or experiences until now. I recently had a laparoscopic hysterectomy in which a catheter was used for one day. Five days after the procedure I began to see bright red blood in the stool after I urinate. I went back to the doctor and she prescribed Bactrim, but after taking it for three days I did not feel any relief. I begin to take AZO cranberry pills and washed them down with cranberry juice and the symptoms were relieved. I am not having pain as often. The stool is no longer bright red. My urine is clear, but when I wipe myself sometimes I still see traces of bright red blood. It has been a month since my surgery, but I am going to see a nephrologist because of the traces of blood that I see when I clean myself. This is happening after I took the antibiotics.

Comment from: See a doctor, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

Comment from: Marie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I have had a number of UTI but this time I had different feelings. Pain in my lower stomach and blood in urine. Yesterday I received an antibiotic for 7 days. My Doctor is out of the office until Monday. I am not sleeping well up almost every two hours to urinate. Much burning when I urinate. My doctor sent my culture to the Lab and will notify me Monday. Monday I will call to see her again and see if my next step is a urologist.

Comment from: J Wilde, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 25

Had red or brown urine about once every 2 weeks for a couple of months, went to the doctor when it got more frequent and was bright red that day, he prescribed a ct scan but found out my insurance had been canceled by my employer so with no pain I ignored it. About 3 months later I started urinating blood every time with some clots in it. About a week later with still no pain I couldn't urinate at all for about 24 hours and then the pain kicked in and I had no choice but to go to the hospital, they drained 1300 cc's with a cath with lots of blood. Within a week I knew I had bladder cancer and have been in treatment for almost 2 years now. Don't delay if blood persists.

Blood In Urine - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood in urine.