Patient Comments: Blood in Urine - Causes

What was the cause of blood in your urine?

Comment from: Marie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I have had a number of UTI but this time I had different feelings. Pain in my lower stomach and blood in urine. Yesterday I received an antibiotic for 7 days. My Doctor is out of the office until Monday. I am not sleeping well up almost every two hours to urinate. Much burning when I urinate. My doctor sent my culture to the Lab and will notify me Monday. Monday I will call to see her again and see if my next step is a urologist.

Comment from: Kathy Mc, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I had a hysterectomy about8 years ago. While I was on the operating table, my gyno, accidentally sliced into my bladder. My bladder has been bleeding ever since. She sent me to a urologist, but as a self diagnoser/healer, I figured it would heal on its own and be fine. Well, now here I am today, every time they do a UA I have 3+ amounts of blood in my urine. They ask me about it, I tell them what happened, they give me a script for Cipro and send me on. This last visit though, the new doc I just started seeing, saw that I have that "gross" amount of blood in my urine, I have UTIs all the time, dysuria, urgency in urinating, feel like I always have to urinate, bladder spasms, abdominal pain, back/kidney pain. Decreased appetite. Although, no weight loss. Weakness and fatigued ALL the time, just tired!! My doc has referred me to a urologist to have me checked for bladder cancer. These symptoms have been going on for many years, so if I have bladder cancer, what are my chances if it is caught too late???? I see the survival rate for early stages if it has spread is only 60%.

Comment from: J Wilde, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 25

Had red or brown urine about once every 2 weeks for a couple of months, went to the doctor when it got more frequent and was bright red that day, he prescribed a ct scan but found out my insurance had been canceled by my employer so with no pain I ignored it. About 3 months later I started urinating blood every time with some clots in it. About a week later with still no pain I couldn't urinate at all for about 24 hours and then the pain kicked in and I had no choice but to go to the hospital, they drained 1300 cc's with a cath with lots of blood. Within a week I knew I had bladder cancer and have been in treatment for almost 2 years now. Don't delay if blood persists.

Comment from: Worried mom, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 10

My daughter has had liver pain for two years. A biopsy showed fat deposits in the liver. She has barely eaten for 2 ½ weeks — she can't drink much, has dry heaving, nausea, a tremendous amount of weight loss, and blood in her urine. The doctor can't figure what is wrong with her. I have asked them to check into a disorder called NASH. She's been in and out of hospital since 2010. She came home, and five days later needed to go back to hospital.

Comment from: rindy01, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I've had blood on and off in my urine for several months, and recently I have felt like my bladder hasn't been emptying. The doctor took a specimen and found blood, protein and white blood cells. I've been given two types of antibiotics for seven days.

Comment from: ingridj, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I am a 42 year old female. I was first diagnosed with blood in the urine at age 29 via a medical exam for a new job. During my first pregnancy at 31 years old the levels of blood increased during the pregnancy and I saw a specialist after delivery. His tests ruled out anything major and his conclusion was kidneys with larger than normal filters that allow blood cells through. I had three more children and the blood was present in every urine sample. I wonder if i am more likely to develop other kidndey conditions. My blood pressure was high during and after my first pregnancy but my specialist weaned me off medication and I haven't had a problem since.

Comment from: The Bard, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 21

My urologist still is unsure why I have hematuria (blood in urine). It started suddenly, was followed by a visit to the ER with ciprofloxacin prescribed, and ended 16 hours later. Went to a urologist, had a CT scan (no problems), a cystoscopy showing an inflammation, then a biopsy showing no cancer, but some redness in the bladder. I have been taking naproxen for a disc problem for six years, causing me to suspect it caused the bleeding. I am an otherwise healthy 70 year old man.

Blood In Urine - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood in urine.
Blood In Urine - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your blood in urine?