Patient Comments: Blood in Urine - Causes

What was the cause of blood in your urine?

Comment from: Worried mom, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 10

My daughter has had liver pain for two years. A biopsy showed fat deposits in the liver. She has barely eaten for 2 ½ weeks — she can't drink much, has dry heaving, nausea, a tremendous amount of weight loss, and blood in her urine. The doctor can't figure what is wrong with her. I have asked them to check into a disorder called NASH. She's been in and out of hospital since 2010. She came home, and five days later needed to go back to hospital.

Comment from: ingridj, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I am a 42 year old female. I was first diagnosed with blood in the urine at age 29 via a medical exam for a new job. During my first pregnancy at 31 years old the levels of blood increased during the pregnancy and I saw a specialist after delivery. His tests ruled out anything major and his conclusion was kidneys with larger than normal filters that allow blood cells through. I had three more children and the blood was present in every urine sample. I wonder if i am more likely to develop other kidndey conditions. My blood pressure was high during and after my first pregnancy but my specialist weaned me off medication and I haven't had a problem since.

Comment from: Kathy Mc, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I had a hysterectomy about8 years ago. While I was on the operating table, my gyno, accidentally sliced into my bladder. My bladder has been bleeding ever since. She sent me to a urologist, but as a self diagnoser/healer, I figured it would heal on its own and be fine. Well, now here I am today, every time they do a UA I have 3+ amounts of blood in my urine. They ask me about it, I tell them what happened, they give me a script for Cipro and send me on. This last visit though, the new doc I just started seeing, saw that I have that "gross" amount of blood in my urine, I have UTIs all the time, dysuria, urgency in urinating, feel like I always have to urinate, bladder spasms, abdominal pain, back/kidney pain. Decreased appetite. Although, no weight loss. Weakness and fatigued ALL the time, just tired!! My doc has referred me to a urologist to have me checked for bladder cancer. These symptoms have been going on for many years, so if I have bladder cancer, what are my chances if it is caught too late???? I see the survival rate for early stages if it has spread is only 60%.

Comment from: The Bard, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 21

My urologist still is unsure why I have hematuria (blood in urine). It started suddenly, was followed by a visit to the ER with ciprofloxacin prescribed, and ended 16 hours later. Went to a urologist, had a CT scan (no problems), a cystoscopy showing an inflammation, then a biopsy showing no cancer, but some redness in the bladder. I have been taking naproxen for a disc problem for six years, causing me to suspect it caused the bleeding. I am an otherwise healthy 70 year old man.

Comment from: felicity, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I have had bleeding which has increased in frequency over the past 6 months. I initially thought that I was getting vaginal spotting and that intercourse was bringing on my period. I saw a gyno who has done tests which appear normal for the end of cervix and vagina and now wants to have a look in the uterus for any abnormalities. My doctor has not done any tests of my urinary tract and I wonder now that this is where the blood is from as I get it every day with urination only. I havent had any blood with sex but I am getting bleeding daily with urination. I am very scared now because the amount of blood that I have had during sex is a lot and now I that I think it is from bladder or kidneys this scares me to think that it is probably bladder cancer or kidney cancer. My mother has only one kidney so there is a history in the family.

Comment from: concerned, (Caregiver) Published: July 12

For anyone with blood in the urine, you should see a Urologist. There are cancers of the urinary tract that can cause bleeding. Don't put off being checked out, especially if you can see the blood in the urine. I know many patients who have urinated blood only once to find out they have bladder cancer or kidney cancer or other maladies. Smokers are at higher risk, most people don't know this. These cancers caught early are very treatable.

Blood In Urine - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood in urine.