Patient Comments: Blood in Urine - Causes

What was the cause of blood in your urine?

Comment from: Worried mom, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 10

My daughter has had liver pain for two years. A biopsy showed fat deposits in the liver. She has barely eaten for 2 ½ weeks — she can't drink much, has dry heaving, nausea, a tremendous amount of weight loss, and blood in her urine. The doctor can't figure what is wrong with her. I have asked them to check into a disorder called NASH. She's been in and out of hospital since 2010. She came home, and five days later needed to go back to hospital.

Comment from: rindy01, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I've had blood on and off in my urine for several months, and recently I have felt like my bladder hasn't been emptying. The doctor took a specimen and found blood, protein and white blood cells. I've been given two types of antibiotics for seven days.

Comment from: Kathy Mc, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I had a hysterectomy about8 years ago. While I was on the operating table, my gyno, accidentally sliced into my bladder. My bladder has been bleeding ever since. She sent me to a urologist, but as a self diagnoser/healer, I figured it would heal on its own and be fine. Well, now here I am today, every time they do a UA I have 3+ amounts of blood in my urine. They ask me about it, I tell them what happened, they give me a script for Cipro and send me on. This last visit though, the new doc I just started seeing, saw that I have that "gross" amount of blood in my urine, I have UTIs all the time, dysuria, urgency in urinating, feel like I always have to urinate, bladder spasms, abdominal pain, back/kidney pain. Decreased appetite. Although, no weight loss. Weakness and fatigued ALL the time, just tired!! My doc has referred me to a urologist to have me checked for bladder cancer. These symptoms have been going on for many years, so if I have bladder cancer, what are my chances if it is caught too late???? I see the survival rate for early stages if it has spread is only 60%.

Comment from: ingridj, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I am a 42 year old female. I was first diagnosed with blood in the urine at age 29 via a medical exam for a new job. During my first pregnancy at 31 years old the levels of blood increased during the pregnancy and I saw a specialist after delivery. His tests ruled out anything major and his conclusion was kidneys with larger than normal filters that allow blood cells through. I had three more children and the blood was present in every urine sample. I wonder if i am more likely to develop other kidndey conditions. My blood pressure was high during and after my first pregnancy but my specialist weaned me off medication and I haven't had a problem since.

Comment from: The Bard, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 21

My urologist still is unsure why I have hematuria (blood in urine). It started suddenly, was followed by a visit to the ER with ciprofloxacin prescribed, and ended 16 hours later. Went to a urologist, had a CT scan (no problems), a cystoscopy showing an inflammation, then a biopsy showing no cancer, but some redness in the bladder. I have been taking naproxen for a disc problem for six years, causing me to suspect it caused the bleeding. I am an otherwise healthy 70 year old man.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

It happened when I was 23. I was told that it occurred after sex. My penis was injured when I jammed it. Immediately after sex I passed blood clots and bright red urine. The doctor told me to not have sex for a couple of weeks. For years I would bleed after sex, especially if my partner was on top or if we would grind. After 20 years it may still happen, but rarely and not as bad.

Comment from: Thomas, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I was told by my doctor that my problem was from radiation which I had for six weeks for colon cancer. Part of the problem was that I had a catheter inserted while I was having radiation treatments. If I had known about the number of problems that that amount of radiation to the pelvic area could cause, I would have never done it. I ended up have surgery anyway because the radiation did nothing to the tumor.

Blood In Urine - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood in urine.
Blood In Urine - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your blood in urine?