Patient Comments: Blood in Urine - Causes

What was the cause of blood in your urine?

Comment from: Wondering, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I have a history of UTIs (urinary tract infections) since I was in my mid-30s. Lately I have been having frequent urges as if I have a UTI, off and on for a while. It cannot be a UTI because it goes away and only happens at night. Doctor thought it was foods that irritate the bladder, I think it is maybe not drinking enough water, or changing to a different manufacturer of a drug that I take. There seems to be a laundry list of things that can irritate the bladder, however, I have always eaten these foods with no problem. I wonder if these things change and increase with age. This urination problem has happened in the past but not this many times. Today when I went to the bathroom I saw blood in the tissue. I do not see blood in the urine nor on my underwear. It is only on the tissue and only when I urinate.

Comment from: marci, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

I'm doing workout for 1 hour every day and I have blood in my urine. CT scan is negative and urine analysis is negative. I suspect that too much workout may be the key.

Comment from: Bonny, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I am 25 and newly married. Twenty days ago I felt burning while urinated, suddenly next time I saw red blood in my urine, next time (after some minutes) all the urine was blood, and burning was so dreadful. My husband is a medical student, I called him, and he came and gave me an injection of Dismenol that stops bleeding. In the morning we went for testing, they tested non-bloody urine (because bleeding had stopped) and found nothing. When I said that I have pain in my back (kidneys) doctor said nothing, all the test results were ok. Doctor said that I have just cystitis concerning the burn while urinating. I can't understand why there was blood and pain if it is just cystitis.

Comment from: bladder, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

On September 21, 2013, it was a hot day, I climbed up a mountain for two/three hours without drinking any water, and discovered blood urine (gross hematuria) when I had a coffee break. Needless to say, I was scared, and went to see my family physician. He ordered: blood work, urine (microscopic) test, ultra sound of bladder, prostate and kidney. Everything came back normal (except prostate enlargement), then he referred me to an urologist for a cystoscopy. However, it took exactly two months to have the cystoscopy done (November 21, 2013). It just took the urologist 30 seconds to go into the bladder and everything was normal (a big relief). My family physician suspected me to have bladder cancer in the first place, due to my age (I am 60), he asked me whether I smoke and dye my hair. It looks like: age, smoke, paints, leather, dyeing are risk factors for bladder cancer. He didn't give me any antibiotic because he said male is less likely to get UTI (urinary tract infection).

Comment from: See a doctor, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I am a 46 year old female who experienced a UTI around 25 years ago. I have not had any symptoms or experiences until now. I recently had a laparoscopic hysterectomy in which a catheter was used for one day. Five days after the procedure I began to see bright red blood in the stool after I urinate. I went back to the doctor and she prescribed Bactrim, but after taking it for three days I did not feel any relief. I begin to take AZO cranberry pills and washed them down with cranberry juice and the symptoms were relieved. I am not having pain as often. The stool is no longer bright red. My urine is clear, but when I wipe myself sometimes I still see traces of bright red blood. It has been a month since my surgery, but I am going to see a nephrologist because of the traces of blood that I see when I clean myself. This is happening after I took the antibiotics.

Comment from: See a doctor, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

Blood In Urine - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with blood in urine.
Blood In Urine - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your blood in urine?