Patient Comments: Blood In Urine - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with blood in urine.

Comment from: Ryan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I have had blood in my urine for almost a week. Urine looks like fruit punch most of the time. Blood work was fine, except creatinine was 4 times higher than normal. I am waiting for specialized urine tests. I also have blood in my stool. Prostate is ok. No symptoms, no pain in back, blood pressure is 110/78, and no pain when urinating. Gastrointestinal specialist scheduled in a week, no urologist scheduled yet.

Comment from: Alok, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 11

On 27th Sep 2015, gross hematuria was found first time. CT scan revealed kidney was well in shape and size. Prostate was 29 gm that the doctor says was slightly enlarged. Bladder was normal in shape and size, no mass seen, and no diverticulum, just a slight thickening of bladder wall. Liver was well in shape and size. Blood test showed PSA normal, creatinine normal, HB 15.8, but blood sugar 300 mg/dL. Means I was diagnosed to be diabetic (type 2) though there were never any usual symptoms. Since then I have had gross hematuria (blood in urine) every 15 to 20 days, thick clots. Hematuria is not total when it starts, always terminal, then either initial with clot or terminal with clot. I had very low degree pain around pelvic area, at times sharp pain waves going to the rectum area from bladder side. Gross hematuria stops in 24 to 36 hours by taking Pause (tranexamic acid) tablet. No fever ever. I noticed that if I press hard to urinate bleeding starts, looks like from the neck of the bladder. I don't know if it is hemorrhagic cystitis or prostatitis. Urologist is unable to tell. He has ruled out bladder cancer as urine cytology was normal. I am ruling out prostatitis as there was no blood seen in sperm immediately after or before urinating blood. In 3 months I have had 6 episodes of gross hematuria. However diabetes during these 3 months has been absolutely under control. I am taking metformin and diabetes has been under control (fasting usually is 80 to 90 mg/dL and post-prandial is 125 t0 140 mg/dL.

Comment from: Gregorinski, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

I was hospitalized over Christmas with my blood pressure 232 over 150 with heart rate of 100. I was having blood in urine but felt fine, no pain or head ache. I have been given 1.25 mg of bisoprolol and 2.5 mg of ramipril. I'm on day 4 and my blood pressure is still high. I'm at the hospital next week for a scan of kidneys and bladder for tumors. I'm a little panicked.

Comment from: laney, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I had been taking Aleve for knee pain for about 3 weeks straight. I then started urinating very visible amounts of blood in my urine for about 3 days, at which point I went to a walk-in clinic to be tested for a urinary tract infection. The culture came up negative, and the bleeding had stopped, but I wasn't satisfied so I went to my doctor, who sent me for an ultrasound of my kidneys, and wanted me to follow-up with a urologist and have a cystoscopy done. At this point there was no blood visible but there was still blood in my urine. The urologist sent me for an ultrasound of my bladder and did another dip test, and I still had blood in my urine (although I wasn't able to see it). He sent the urine out for cytology and set up an appointment for the cystoscopy the next week. I just had the cystoscopy yesterday, and all my tests came back normal. There was also no blood in my urine yesterday. I'm extremely relieved everything is ok, and the doctor feels it was due to the amount of Aleve I had been taking.

Comment from: mky4963, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I have had gross hematuria for several months. My doctor says they have done every test to find the source of the blood in urine, but didn't. They told me yesterday that there is nothing else they can do. Diagnosis is benign gross hematuria. It is each and every time I urinate. I also have bad pain in my back.

Comment from: Kat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I am just getting over diverticulitis and noticed pink urine; no pain.

Blood in Urine - Causes Question: What was the cause of blood in your urine?
Blood In Urine - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your blood in urine?