Patient Comments: Blood In Urine - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with blood in urine.

Comment from: david, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 21

My husband is 73. When he urinates he bleeds once in a while. He just had a urine test 1 week ago, everything was fine, and no urinary tract infection. I am not sure what causes this bleeding, this is the third time he had since last month. I wonder if I should take him to the doctor.

Comment from: Suzyque, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

Every time I eat fats, shortly afterwards I have blood in my urine and it is now happening more than it used to.

Comment from: Gregorinski, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

I was hospitalized over Christmas with my blood pressure 232 over 150 with heart rate of 100. I was having blood in urine but felt fine, no pain or head ache. I have been given 1.25 mg of bisoprolol and 2.5 mg of ramipril. I'm on day 4 and my blood pressure is still high. I'm at the hospital next week for a scan of kidneys and bladder for tumors. I'm a little panicked.

Comment from: laney, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I had been taking Aleve for knee pain for about 3 weeks straight. I then started urinating very visible amounts of blood in my urine for about 3 days, at which point I went to a walk-in clinic to be tested for a urinary tract infection. The culture came up negative, and the bleeding had stopped, but I wasn't satisfied so I went to my doctor, who sent me for an ultrasound of my kidneys, and wanted me to follow-up with a urologist and have a cystoscopy done. At this point there was no blood visible but there was still blood in my urine. The urologist sent me for an ultrasound of my bladder and did another dip test, and I still had blood in my urine (although I wasn't able to see it). He sent the urine out for cytology and set up an appointment for the cystoscopy the next week. I just had the cystoscopy yesterday, and all my tests came back normal. There was also no blood in my urine yesterday. I'm extremely relieved everything is ok, and the doctor feels it was due to the amount of Aleve I had been taking.

Comment from: mky4963, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I have had gross hematuria for several months. My doctor says they have done every test to find the source of the blood in urine, but didn't. They told me yesterday that there is nothing else they can do. Diagnosis is benign gross hematuria. It is each and every time I urinate. I also have bad pain in my back.

Comment from: Red Urine 1, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I had a traumatic Wednesday with possibly a significant dehydration. Through till Saturday I needed to work physically hard and did not drink enough water. Sunday I had blood and clots in the urine. My physician saw me on Monday and took blood and urine samples. The tests showed no red blood cells in the urine and no serious pathology with the exception of a slight raised PSA (8.2). I did feel fragile on the Sunday (and shocked). A week later I am fine. I am urinating in bottles. Some samples have a slight odor. The color varies from straw to light yellow. The quantity varies from 100 ml to 200 ml. My physician wants to repeat a digital examination of the prostate and the tests. The first digital did not indicate any abnormalities.

Comment from: JoleneS, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I have had blood in the urine more than once and also had CT, ultrasound scan of pelvic and abdomen. I went in today for cystoscopy but it wouldn't go in and it hurt way too much. He tried to dilate me but that didn't work, now they are trying to schedule me for one under anesthesia.

Comment from: joe.l, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

Lately I have been urinating every hour waking up 3 or 4 times during the night. I realized I had urinated blood one night, about few ounces. I urinated one hour later and it was clear, no blood in the urine either before or after that time and it has been few days now.

Blood in Urine - Causes Question: What was the cause of blood in your urine?
Blood In Urine - Treatments Question: What treatment was effective for your blood in urine?