Patient Comments: Blood in the Stool - Experience

Please describe your experience with blood in the stool.

Comment from: Ntebo, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I've been having blood in my stool for over a year now. It often comes twice or three times in a month almost every month. And there is a bit of pain whenever I pass stool. And then in 2 or 3 days the pain disappears and there's no blood anymore. It's actually a lot of blood and it's scary, I need to know what the cause may be.

Comment from: Lillian, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I had blood in my stool and I was told not to eat food which brings constipation, which I did for a year but recently I had it again. I thought it was over.

Comment from: bri, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

This is from my personal experience, no actual scientific proof. I was eating a frozen fruit, triple-berry mix every day, thawed, with cereal, including blackberries. I started having rectal bleeding, sometimes painful going to bathroom. I read everything I could on the web; frightening. One day I realized when I'm chewing that some of the fruits had a very hard, sharp texture. I narrowed it down to the blackberries. I thought, 'if they feel sharp in my mouth, perhaps they could also cut soft tissue in my bowels or rectum.' I stopped eating blackberries. Soon the bleeding decreased. I wonder if it took a little time to heal. Fairly soon the bleeding stopped and has not returned. Someone should experiment with this, and leave feedback if you are experiencing the same and eating blackberries. I could be wrong, but that's my experience.

Comment from: woo wee chum, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

I have been taking narcotic pain reliever (morphine) for the past 8 years for severe back pain; just had fusion surgery in October. Constipation is a constant side effect and even with stool softeners I need to strain most of the time. I am noticing moderate blotches of bright red blood on paper and stool. Apparently, according to the information available, it's what's at the root of the bleeding. Good luck.

Comment from: louvin, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

I had a hemorrhoidectomy done in February this year. I still struggle with constipation and it feels like the symptoms are all back again. I do notice blood on the tissue paper after stools but not as much recently. There were absolutely no sign of stools but just bright to dark color blood and looks like lumps of blood as well. I even noticed some blood on my underpants when I woke up this morning.

Comment from: Romeo62, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 08

I pass stool with blood, with pains over my buttocks.

Comment from: joyce, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have hyperthyroidism yet I haven't consulted my doctor for 10 months already, and now I am suffering from constipation. Yesterday I had checked my stool and had fresh blood. I know this is not from my menstrual cycle because it is finished.

Comment from: onqwest, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have bright red blood in stool. No pain but substantial amount only with bowel movement, infrequent, once in two consecutive days. I had constipation issues for three consecutive days the week prior to bleeding event. Same occurrence three months ago.

Blood in the Stool - Causes Question: What was the cause of blood in your stool?
Blood in the Stool - Diagnosis Question: What was the diagnosis of blood in the stool?
Blood in the Stool - Treatment Question: Depending on the cause, what was the treatment for blood in the stool?
Blood in the Stool - Hemorrhoids Question: Please describe your experience with hemorrhoids and blood in your stool.
Blood in the Stool - Anal Fissures Question: Please describe your experience with anal fissures and rectal bleeding.
Blood in the Stool - Diseases Causes Question: Which one of these were the cause of your case of rectal bleeding, and please describe your experience.
Blood in the Stool - Infection Question: What infection caused your case of rectal bleeding, and how was it treated?
Blood in the Stool - Ulcers or Gastritis Question: Was it ulcers or gastritis that caused your case of rectal bleeding, and how was it treated?
Blood in the Stool - Esophageal Bleeding Question: Please describe your experience with rectal bleeding and esophageal bleeding.
Blood in the Stool - Colon Cancer and Polyps Question: Please describe your experience with blood in the stool and colon cancer or colon polyps.
Blood in the Stool - Associated Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have that occurred with rectal bleeding?