Patient Comments: Blood in the Stool - Experience

Please describe your experience with blood in the stool.

Comment from: bri, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

This is from my personal experience, no actual scientific proof. I was eating a frozen fruit, triple-berry mix every day, thawed, with cereal, including blackberries. I started having rectal bleeding, sometimes painful going to bathroom. I read everything I could on the web; frightening. One day I realized when I'm chewing that some of the fruits had a very hard, sharp texture. I narrowed it down to the blackberries. I thought, 'if they feel sharp in my mouth, perhaps they could also cut soft tissue in my bowels or rectum.' I stopped eating blackberries. Soon the bleeding decreased. I wonder if it took a little time to heal. Fairly soon the bleeding stopped and has not returned. Someone should experiment with this, and leave feedback if you are experiencing the same and eating blackberries. I could be wrong, but that's my experience.

Comment from: woo wee chum, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

I have been taking narcotic pain reliever (morphine) for the past 8 years for severe back pain; just had fusion surgery in October. Constipation is a constant side effect and even with stool softeners I need to strain most of the time. I am noticing moderate blotches of bright red blood on paper and stool. Apparently, according to the information available, it's what's at the root of the bleeding. Good luck.

Comment from: louvin, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

I had a hemorrhoidectomy done in February this year. I still struggle with constipation and it feels like the symptoms are all back again. I do notice blood on the tissue paper after stools but not as much recently. There were absolutely no sign of stools but just bright to dark color blood and looks like lumps of blood as well. I even noticed some blood on my underpants when I woke up this morning.

Comment from: joyce, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have hyperthyroidism yet I haven't consulted my doctor for 10 months already, and now I am suffering from constipation. Yesterday I had checked my stool and had fresh blood. I know this is not from my menstrual cycle because it is finished.

Comment from: onqwest, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have bright red blood in stool. No pain but substantial amount only with bowel movement, infrequent, once in two consecutive days. I had constipation issues for three consecutive days the week prior to bleeding event. Same occurrence three months ago.

Comment from: Dandi, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 10

I have blood when I wipe, it is bright red and it hurts a little bit. I have generalized anxiety so I'm scared to go to the doctors, I haven't even told my parents that there is blood in my stool.

Comment from: ms. spratt, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I have bright red blood in stool, moderate amount, when having liquid stools. I have had bouts of abdominal cramping and gas with liquid stools since I had my gall bladder removed.

Comment from: chica, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I have been undiagnosed for nearly 4 years. My symptoms started with pain in lower left pelvic area, indigestion, heartburn, fever, pencil thin stools, loss of weight, hair falling out, brain fog, I was unable to have sex, and feeling very ill. I then went through years of diarrhea. Now I've still got pain in same place and indigestion after meals or even on empty stomach, and swollen stomach with weight gain. Bowel movement is getting better but this morning there was bright red blood in bowel movement.

Blood in the Stool - Causes Question: What was the cause of blood in your stool?
Blood in the Stool - Diagnosis Question: What was the diagnosis of blood in the stool?
Blood in the Stool - Treatment Question: Depending on the cause, what was the treatment for blood in the stool?
Blood in the Stool - Hemorrhoids Question: Please describe your experience with hemorrhoids and blood in your stool.
Blood in the Stool - Anal Fissures Question: Please describe your experience with anal fissures and rectal bleeding.
Blood in the Stool - Diseases Causes Question: Which one of these were the cause of your case of rectal bleeding, and please describe your experience.
Blood in the Stool - Infection Question: What infection caused your case of rectal bleeding, and how was it treated?
Blood in the Stool - Ulcers or Gastritis Question: Was it ulcers or gastritis that caused your case of rectal bleeding, and how was it treated?
Blood in the Stool - Esophageal Bleeding Question: Please describe your experience with rectal bleeding and esophageal bleeding.
Blood in the Stool - Colon Cancer and Polyps Question: Please describe your experience with blood in the stool and colon cancer or colon polyps.
Blood in the Stool - Associated Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have that occurred with rectal bleeding?