Blood in the Stool (Rectal Bleeding) Index
Rectal bleeding (hematochezia) refers to the passage of bright red blood from the anus. Common causes include anal fissures, hemorrhoids, diverticulitis, colitis, Crohn's disease, colon and rectum polyps, and cancer. The color of the blood in the stool may provide information about the origin of the bleeding. The color of stool with blood in it may range from black, red, maroon, green yellow, gray, or white, and may be tarry, or sticky. Treatment of blood in the stool depends on the cause.
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
- sulfasalazine - oral, Azulfidine
- sorbitol (Ora-Sweet SF, PCCA Sweet-SF, PCCA Syrup Vehicle, PCCA-Plus, Numoisyn)
- bisacodyl (Dulcolax, Correctol, Bisacolax, Bisac-Evac, Alophen, Fleet Bisacodyl, Feen-A-Mint)
- Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) and Electrolytes
Anal itching is the irritation of the skin at the exit of the rectum, known as the anus, accompanied by the desire to scratch....learn more »
In This Article
Anal Itching Article
- Anal itching facts
- What is anal itching?
- What causes anal itching?
- What are additional symptoms associated with anal itching?
- What kind of doctor treats anal itching?
- How is the cause of anal itching diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for anal itching?
- Local anesthetics
- What if anal itching persists?
An anal fissure is a small tear or cut in the skin lining of the anus. Pain and/or rectal bleeding during bowel movements are...learn more »
In This Article
Anal Fissure Article
- Anal fissures facts
- What are anal fissures?
- What causes anal fissures?
- What are the symptoms of anal fissures?
- How are anal fissures diagnosed and evaluated?
- What is the treatment for anal fissures?
- General treatment and home remedies for anal fissures
- Prescription medications for anal fissures
- Surgical treatment for anal fissures
- Personal observation
Inflammation of the inner lining of the colon is referred to as colitis. Symptoms of the inflammation of the colon lining include...learn more »