Patient Comments: Blood In Semen - Cause

What was the underlying cause of blood in your semen?

Comment from: Franklin's Tower, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

This may not work for everyone for blood in semen but it worked for me. First I took a cycle of Cipro which dealt with any infection which may have been what caused it, but these other tips have also helped. I rested my prostate for 3 days and then don't ejaculate more than once every 24 to 48 hours. I used to do it every 12 hours or twice a day. I quit eating red meat. I still eat chicken, fish and pork but the cow has been put out to pasture. I drink tons of water. I walk at least 1 mile every day and sometimes more, but at least 1. I cut way back on my caffeine intake. Caffeine had previously been responsible for small stones in my semen that would form when I drank too much. I'm down to 1 ice tea a day. This has worked for me so far. I'm two months with no signs of blood. I've also started losing weight and have more energy. Blood in the semen can be scary and like I said this may not work for you, but it doesn't hurt sharing. Have a grateful day!

Comment from: A patient, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

Several years ago I noticed that there was blood in my semen. It freaked me out and I quickly went in for a consultation with a urologist. After an exam, he asked me how often I ejaculated, and said that a male needs to ejaculate about four times a week to have a healthy prostate. As long as I have sex four times per week, I'm fine, less than that and many times I'll notice bloody semen.

Comment from: Halsey, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 07

I'm a sixty two year old who runs 20 miles per week. I noticed blood in my urine after I ran and later blood in my semen. I have been on Dayquil/Nyquil for a cold for the past week, so thank you to those who have brought up the connection. I'm sure it is the cause and I'm going to quit using it immediately.

Comment from: Concernedcitizen, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I'm thankful this dialogue exists. Thank you for sharing your stories. My story: Last night my partner and I were engaging in rough intercourse. When I went to ejaculate it was like bloody murder so to speak. Instantly the mood changed. We went to WebMD and instantly saw words like chlamydia and herpes and started accusing one another of infidelity. I saw my doctor this morning and brought him up to speed. And he said, "You broke a blood vessel as a result of rough sex. It happens often and should clear up shortly." I expressed my concerns about it being a result of a sexually transmitted disease (STD). He examined my genitals and said "If you had herpes or chlamydia it would be evident and that blood in the semen is really the end result of such STDs." However, as a precaution I have to visit radiology next week just to make sure no tumors are present. I know it's easier said than done but relax. In the meantime I need to check to see if blood in the semen is still present. I'm a bit scared to do so.

Comment from: Batu, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 11

My 18 years old mentally handicapped son recently had blood in his semen that appeared in his underpants. He is incapable of masturbating, so he has ejaculated twice in his life both with blood. Our urologist prescribed an antibiotic (levotiroksin) but we did not give him any because we read that, that particular antibiotic does not agree with the 4 anti-epileptics he is taking.

Comment from: R.C.Sharma, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

I am 68. I had a procedure to reduce the size of the prostate to freely open the urethra in 2013. Now recently I have noticed blood in semen after having sexual intercourse more than once in the night. The bleeding does not occur in one off intercourse.

Comment from: Doug S, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

Upon ejaculation, I was horrified, to see brown semen. I have had successful bladder cancer surgery twice, but I have not relayed this information to my urologist at this point. I have an appointment with him today for a CAT scan. We"ll see what the results show.

Blood In Semen - Symptoms Question: What other symptoms did you experience with blood in your semen?
Blood In Semen - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, did you receive after finding the cause of blood in your semen?