Patient Comments: Blood In Semen - Cause

What was the underlying cause of blood in your semen?

Comment from: Anom77777777, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I had bright red blood in my semen one night after masturbating, which was more vigorous than usual, most likely because I was probably dehydrated. Then for the next two weeks I had dark blood (purple or brown, which means blood from before) and on day 15 my semen went back to white.

Comment from: Kidney stone, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I was alarmed to see I had blood in my semen and found this site and it calmed me to know I was not dying. I later found that I had a kidney stone and figured that that must have been my problem because months later I passed the stone (5 mm) and have had no other incidents. There are other reasons people may have this happen of course but I thought I would share my cause and solution. So this is one thing you may want to check for if you are searching for your own cause.

Comment from: GaryK, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I wonder if the cause of blood in the semen could be from taking blood thinners, such as Coumadin. I have had tests and each time I'm told it's normal for someone on thinners.

Comment from: moon, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 27

I have had blood in semen since 2004. Today it was all blood, coffee ground color. It never seems to go away. I did break my penis during sex in 2004. I have been to a doctor many times for it. There is never any pain with it. The sensation is always normal.

Comment from: Scared from blood, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

Thanks everyone for sharing. When I saw blood in my semen it really freaked me out! After many tests and experiments no cause was found. I had blood in my semen every few weeks, but not all the time. With no root cause identified by medical professionals, I tried several experiments on my own. I discovered that I was likely dehydrated each time I saw blood in my semen. Since then, I have ensured to stay more hydrated, particularly before sex. I have not had the blood since!

Comment from: ghumman, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 04

I noticed that I had blood in my semen. It has never happened before. Sometimes I have had a little pain while urinating but this is the first time that I had blood in semen with a little pain. I am 41 years old and walk 4 miles every day.

Comment from: Franklin's Tower, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

This may not work for everyone for blood in semen but it worked for me. First I took a cycle of Cipro which dealt with any infection which may have been what caused it, but these other tips have also helped. I rested my prostate for 3 days and then don't ejaculate more than once every 24 to 48 hours. I used to do it every 12 hours or twice a day. I quit eating red meat. I still eat chicken, fish and pork but the cow has been put out to pasture. I drink tons of water. I walk at least 1 mile every day and sometimes more, but at least 1. I cut way back on my caffeine intake. Caffeine had previously been responsible for small stones in my semen that would form when I drank too much. I'm down to 1 ice tea a day. This has worked for me so far. I'm two months with no signs of blood. I've also started losing weight and have more energy. Blood in the semen can be scary and like I said this may not work for you, but it doesn't hurt sharing. Have a grateful day!

Comment from: A patient, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

Several years ago I noticed that there was blood in my semen. It freaked me out and I quickly went in for a consultation with a urologist. After an exam, he asked me how often I ejaculated, and said that a male needs to ejaculate about four times a week to have a healthy prostate. As long as I have sex four times per week, I'm fine, less than that and many times I'll notice bloody semen.

Blood In Semen - Symptoms Question: What other symptoms did you experience with blood in your semen?
Blood In Semen - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, did you receive after finding the cause of blood in your semen?