Patient Comments: Blood In Semen - Cause

What was the underlying cause of blood in your semen?

Comment from: Bloody, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I am 49 years old have had blood in my semen for two years, had every test known, even went to Florida to see a prostrate specialist. Went through all the tests again and they detected stones in my prostate gland. I never have any pain, PSA is always .05 I am starting to think it will never go away.

Comment from: david4, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 07

I am 28 years old and have had 2 ejaculations with a heavy amount of blood a year apart. There is no pain in ejaculating or urinating. No swollen testicles. No blood in urine. No fever. I have had years of back pain which doctors attribute to inflexibility. I was treated for chlamydia a year ago and was cured. I had them check a second time to be sure. Cured.

Comment from: charles, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 26

I'd been having semen cultures since March 2010, and tests results showed no blood in semen. But in November 2010 my doctor decided to do a prostate biopsy, and the next thing I knew, I had blood in my semen. I've taken several regiments of antibiotics and nothing seemed to get rid of the infection.

Comment from: big balls, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I have noticed that when I sit for a long time and my pants are restrictive, I get blood in my semen. When I wear loose pants and careful how I sit it doesn't occur. One of my testicles is larger than the other.

Comment from: John, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

After a biopsy and the exclusion of prostate cancer, it was determined by examination of the tissue from the biopsy that I had a chronic infection. No treatment was prescribed as I demonstrated no symptoms other than a blood in semen and occasional back pain.

Comment from: Lulu, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 14

My partner of 8 months is 43 years old. 3 weeks ago we had a shocking experience. While we were making love he ejaculated blood, twice. There was so much blood one would have thought it was a mass murder that took place. He went into hospital the next morning and they did tests, went in for a cat scan etc. and the result was, he has too much testosterone and was put on medication. Since then every time he gets aroused he bleeds. We waited 2 weeks and tried intercourse again, this time it took a little longer, but he started to bleed again. I am very concerned for him, so if anyone can help in anyway, please reply!!!!

Comment from: ar-jay, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 15

I really can't place any underlying cause of the blood in my semen and the quantity was high. My wife and I have been troubled since we observed it together 3 days ago. I have not had any health condition lately ( in a very long while ) and I'm not on any form or medication or therapy , besides my usual keep-fit work outs, (not strenuous). I read somewhere that the blood presence in semen may also be as a result of a ruptured blood vessel within the tract, but I'll check the kidneys and bladder just in case. Please I appreciate the explanations viewed here and I'll wait for another week then maybe visit a urologist if it persists.

Comment from: Mo, Published: November 06

I had "rough" sex about 2 years ago and ejaculated blood, not specks, it was like nothing but blood, yet no pain. I was in shock (and so was she). I peed blood clots the next day but everything returned to normal a week or so later, everything was normal for 2 years then a few weeks back I ejaculated blood again, no rough sex, again no pain.

Blood In Semen - Symptoms Question: What other symptoms did you experience with blood in your semen?
Blood In Semen - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, did you receive after finding the cause of blood in your semen?