Patient Comments: Blood In Semen - Cause

What was the underlying cause of blood in your semen?

Comment from: Lulu, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 14

My partner of 8 months is 43 years old. 3 weeks ago we had a shocking experience. While we were making love he ejaculated blood, twice. There was so much blood one would have thought it was a mass murder that took place. He went into hospital the next morning and they did tests, went in for a cat scan etc. and the result was, he has too much testosterone and was put on medication. Since then every time he gets aroused he bleeds. We waited 2 weeks and tried intercourse again, this time it took a little longer, but he started to bleed again. I am very concerned for him, so if anyone can help in anyway, please reply!!!!

Comment from: ar-jay, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 15

I really can't place any underlying cause of the blood in my semen and the quantity was high. My wife and I have been troubled since we observed it together 3 days ago. I have not had any health condition lately ( in a very long while ) and I'm not on any form or medication or therapy , besides my usual keep-fit work outs, (not strenuous). I read somewhere that the blood presence in semen may also be as a result of a ruptured blood vessel within the tract, but I'll check the kidneys and bladder just in case. Please I appreciate the explanations viewed here and I'll wait for another week then maybe visit a urologist if it persists.

Comment from: Mo, Published: November 06

I had "rough" sex about 2 years ago and ejaculated blood, not specks, it was like nothing but blood, yet no pain. I was in shock (and so was she). I peed blood clots the next day but everything returned to normal a week or so later, everything was normal for 2 years then a few weeks back I ejaculated blood again, no rough sex, again no pain.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I have developed this condition (blood in my semen), after taking sleeping aids and cold relief medications such as NyQuil.

Comment from: CSM741, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 12

I am a 57 year old male. I had a vasectomy 25 years ago. When I ejaculate I have blood in my semen fluid. I have been for tests for prostate cancer and others, the blood did stop for a while, but has started again. I just had a course of antibiotics.

Blood In Semen - Symptoms Question: What other symptoms did you experience with blood in your semen?
Blood In Semen - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, did you receive after finding the cause of blood in your semen?