Patient Comments: Blood In Semen - Cause

What was the underlying cause of blood in your semen?

Comment from: Shs1980, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

This is in reference to the blood in his semen after taking Nyquil or sleeping pills. I am a 50 year old male and I have had the same episode after taking Zquill. I wonder if it is an allergic reaction to the drug in the sleeping medication? I will refrain from taking any medication in the future containing this drug.

Comment from: Judd, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

I wish to extend a very sincere thanks to each of you for sharing. I know it is a difficult thing to do, but it has calmed my fears considerably. I was convinced I had something severely wrong, and that I would die within a week. That still could happen to any of us, but I now realize this may resolve itself in time. Thank you.

Comment from: Sunil, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

I am taking a medicine "Flunarine" for last several years and it seems this has affected my prostate. I am getting blood stains in my urine for last few years. All the tests I have, if I stop taking Flunarine then I start getting lower back pain. Doctors say that it's difficult to identify the root cause.

Comment from: Stephen, 65-74 Male Published: August 29

I'm 72 years old man and for past three weeks I have noticed after having a sex with my wife once a week, that my semen is slightly pink. But not in my urine. However I'm on blood medications (Cumadum) for my hearth valve replacement. I also have Uric Acid in my body from Kidneys failer 29 year ago. Last February I had a kidneys infection, but now is all ok!

Comment from: goldchevy, 75 or over Male Published: June 09

Although I am in my 60's, I have had blood in the semen for most of the past eight years. I have undergone every test my urologist could think of, including a CT scan and the results were all negative. He said it is just something I have to live with.

Comment from: Oh Yeah!, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 27

I am told that this is a condition from prostatitis. It is as if it is just another symptom of a diagnosis; there is no explanation other than inflammation. I have been to urologist, and my PSA is normal. Everything else, other than elevated cholesterol levels (family history), is fine.

Comment from: melatonin, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 29

I am 42 and was freaked out by blood in my semen after intercourse. I immediately did a web search to see if there was something I should know. Interestingly, I have taken both melatonin and decaffeinated drinks to help me sleep the past two nights. It struck me funny that someone else mentioned sleep medicine as well, or I wouldn't have mentioned it.

Comment from: bradley, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 27

I had blood in my semen the first time 2 years ago and the doctor put me on antibiotics which partially cleared it up but my ejaculations remained clear and runny and a very low amount of semen. More recently more blood was noticed and after a scan and a prostate exam and relating blood tests the doctor could not explain where the problem was. l have been to another doctor for another opinion, and this time l happened to have a lady doctor and after telling her the whole history she decided to examine me herself with pushes and prods here and there and a full genital exam which l found quite embarrassing. She was l must admit very thorough in her questions like how did I notice the blood and if my partner observed as well which was to the negative, l told her that l was nervous each time ejaculation happened as l did not want to see blood and my partner did not like the idea either of ejaculating inside of, of which she was writing down, now l have another problem of a penis that starts off rock hard only to go limp halfway through which l put down to the main problem. l do have chronic lower back pain which feels like the lower groin area is continually inflamed but she said that could not be a cause, so l have been scanning the web trying to find a remedy but to no avail.

Blood In Semen - Symptoms Question: What other symptoms did you experience with blood in your semen?
Blood In Semen - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, did you receive after finding the cause of blood in your semen?