Patient Comments: Blood In Semen - Cause

What was the underlying cause of blood in your semen?

Comment from: Oh Yeah!, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 27

I am told that this is a condition from prostatitis. It is as if it is just another symptom of a diagnosis; there is no explanation other than inflammation. I have been to urologist, and my PSA is normal. Everything else, other than elevated cholesterol levels (family history), is fine.

Comment from: melatonin, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 29

I am 42 and was freaked out by blood in my semen after intercourse. I immediately did a web search to see if there was something I should know. Interestingly, I have taken both melatonin and decaffeinated drinks to help me sleep the past two nights. It struck me funny that someone else mentioned sleep medicine as well, or I wouldn't have mentioned it.

Comment from: bradley, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 27

I had blood in my semen the first time 2 years ago and the doctor put me on antibiotics which partially cleared it up but my ejaculations remained clear and runny and a very low amount of semen. More recently more blood was noticed and after a scan and a prostate exam and relating blood tests the doctor could not explain where the problem was. l have been to another doctor for another opinion, and this time l happened to have a lady doctor and after telling her the whole history she decided to examine me herself with pushes and prods here and there and a full genital exam which l found quite embarrassing. She was l must admit very thorough in her questions like how did I notice the blood and if my partner observed as well which was to the negative, l told her that l was nervous each time ejaculation happened as l did not want to see blood and my partner did not like the idea either of ejaculating inside of, of which she was writing down, now l have another problem of a penis that starts off rock hard only to go limp halfway through which l put down to the main problem. l do have chronic lower back pain which feels like the lower groin area is continually inflamed but she said that could not be a cause, so l have been scanning the web trying to find a remedy but to no avail.

Comment from: Bloody, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I am 49 years old have had blood in my semen for two years, had every test known, even went to Florida to see a prostrate specialist. Went through all the tests again and they detected stones in my prostate gland. I never have any pain, PSA is always .05 I am starting to think it will never go away.

Comment from: david4, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 07

I am 28 years old and have had 2 ejaculations with a heavy amount of blood a year apart. There is no pain in ejaculating or urinating. No swollen testicles. No blood in urine. No fever. I have had years of back pain which doctors attribute to inflexibility. I was treated for chlamydia a year ago and was cured. I had them check a second time to be sure. Cured.

Comment from: charles, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 26

I'd been having semen cultures since March 2010, and tests results showed no blood in semen. But in November 2010 my doctor decided to do a prostate biopsy, and the next thing I knew, I had blood in my semen. I've taken several regiments of antibiotics and nothing seemed to get rid of the infection.

Comment from: big balls, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I have noticed that when I sit for a long time and my pants are restrictive, I get blood in my semen. When I wear loose pants and careful how I sit it doesn't occur. One of my testicles is larger than the other.

Comment from: John, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

After a biopsy and the exclusion of prostate cancer, it was determined by examination of the tissue from the biopsy that I had a chronic infection. No treatment was prescribed as I demonstrated no symptoms other than a blood in semen and occasional back pain.

Blood In Semen - Symptoms Question: What other symptoms did you experience with blood in your semen?
Blood In Semen - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, did you receive after finding the cause of blood in your semen?