Patient Comments: Blood In Semen - Cause

What was the underlying cause of blood in your semen?

Comment from: Ky resident, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I also have this condition. I have been to the doctor twice and he thinks it's no big deal and that it will go away. I've taken antibiotics twice. I notice that anytime I'm getting aroused that it happens now. I don't know if I should refrain from having sex until it resolves itself or if it will clear up if I have more sex.

Comment from: Thunder, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 02

My long-term partner and I had intercourse a while back. She noticed that there was a pink color in my urine. I did not notice anything in my urine and had no pain. I am on medication for many things, but I did not believe that this was a problem. We actually broke up because I did not understand her concern about my personal health. After the first time she noticed the pink color, the next time it was brownish or just discolored. I still did not believe that anything was wrong. Since then, I have had another partner. At first, nothing showed up. Later, I had times when it was blood-red after intercourse or oral sex. I did go to the doctor and they cannot determine what is wrong, but referred me to a specialist. I have not gone yet. The best thing I can say is to have an understanding partner, stay calm, and don't panic.

Comment from: Bob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I am 57 yrs old and have had the flu for a couple of weeks. I took Nyquil, Dayquil and Mucinex for about 2 weeks. Then I noticed blood in my semen and thought I should see what I might be in for and ended up at this page. I've got a doctor's appointment next week and I will mention this to him but I feel a little better reading about other guys who have noticed the possible Nyquil connection.

Comment from: Shs1980, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

This is in reference to the blood in his semen after taking Nyquil or sleeping pills. I am a 50 year old male and I have had the same episode after taking Zquill. I wonder if it is an allergic reaction to the drug in the sleeping medication? I will refrain from taking any medication in the future containing this drug.

Comment from: Judd, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

I wish to extend a very sincere thanks to each of you for sharing. I know it is a difficult thing to do, but it has calmed my fears considerably. I was convinced I had something severely wrong, and that I would die within a week. That still could happen to any of us, but I now realize this may resolve itself in time. Thank you.

Comment from: Sunil, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

I am taking a medicine "Flunarine" for last several years and it seems this has affected my prostate. I am getting blood stains in my urine for last few years. All the tests I have, if I stop taking Flunarine then I start getting lower back pain. Doctors say that it's difficult to identify the root cause.

Comment from: Stephen, 65-74 Male Published: August 29

I'm 72 years old man and for past three weeks I have noticed after having a sex with my wife once a week, that my semen is slightly pink. But not in my urine. However I'm on blood medications (Cumadum) for my hearth valve replacement. I also have Uric Acid in my body from Kidneys failer 29 year ago. Last February I had a kidneys infection, but now is all ok!

Comment from: goldchevy, 75 or over Male Published: June 09

Although I am in my 60's, I have had blood in the semen for most of the past eight years. I have undergone every test my urologist could think of, including a CT scan and the results were all negative. He said it is just something I have to live with.

Blood In Semen - Symptoms Question: What other symptoms did you experience with blood in your semen?
Blood In Semen - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, did you receive after finding the cause of blood in your semen?