Patient Comments: Blood In Semen - Cause

What was the underlying cause of blood in your semen?

Comment from: xtophr, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 08

I am 43 and have had five ejaculations where blood was present in my semen. The first time that this happened to me I was 18 or 20. Years passed and then it happened again. The last two times were approximately four months apart. The occasions are always single ejaculations that appear as if they are entirely blood. Subsequent ejaculations are less bloody until the blood disappears entirely after a few days. My doctors have been puzzled and have found nothing. My PSA tests are normal. I will be having an ultrasound next week.

Comment from: Angeldark, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 03

Last night after intercourse with my husband I went to the restroom to freshen up. Upon observing the semen from my husband's ejaculation, I noticed tiny specs of what appeared to be blood, present in the semen. I was in shock and confused as I have never even heard of this or any condition that would cause this. We have gone through a separation of an entire year and have recently re-united in order to try and save our marriage. I know that my husband has had one or more sexual partners during my absence. I am alarmed at this occurrence and afraid for his and my own health. I found this page and was overwhelmed by the possible existing health issues. He has been diagnosed with diabetes and high blood pressure. He is on medications for both. I plan to discuss this further with him and have him bring it to his Drs. attention. I will keep you all updated on any testing or further discoveries concerning this matter.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 28

I am 40 and have been diagnosed with BPH about four years ago. I am taking medication to relax my prostate. I've had episodes of blood in my semen about six times since that diagnosis, and I relate that to my BPH. I've read that blood in semen can be a side effect of BPH, as the prostate is more sensitive and can get inflamed more than those without. It goes away in less than a week every time. It starts out as pink, then it gets brownish when it's going away, and then finally cream, the normal color. I'm hoping that my episodes "go with the territory" since I've already been diagnosed with BPH, but those that have absolutely no urination problems may have more of mystery to look into if they have pink urine.

Comment from: Gadget Man, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

Hi, Im a 59 yr old male. Ive had 2 occasions with brownish to reddish patches or clots in my semen. Both were present after taking Kava, a herbal tablet for aid to sleeping and anxiety. My PSA count is about 1.5 - 2.00. Im usually healthy and sexually active. So I will put this down to the use of Kava.

Comment from: Ky resident, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I also have this condition. I have been to the doctor twice and he thinks it's no big deal and that it will go away. I've taken antibiotics twice. I notice that anytime I'm getting aroused that it happens now. I don't know if I should refrain from having sex until it resolves itself or if it will clear up if I have more sex.

Comment from: Thunder, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 02

My long-term partner and I had intercourse a while back. She noticed that there was a pink color in my urine. I did not notice anything in my urine and had no pain. I am on medication for many things, but I did not believe that this was a problem. We actually broke up because I did not understand her concern about my personal health. After the first time she noticed the pink color, the next time it was brownish or just discolored. I still did not believe that anything was wrong. Since then, I have had another partner. At first, nothing showed up. Later, I had times when it was blood-red after intercourse or oral sex. I did go to the doctor and they cannot determine what is wrong, but referred me to a specialist. I have not gone yet. The best thing I can say is to have an understanding partner, stay calm, and don't panic.

Comment from: Bob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I am 57 yrs old and have had the flu for a couple of weeks. I took Nyquil, Dayquil and Mucinex for about 2 weeks. Then I noticed blood in my semen and thought I should see what I might be in for and ended up at this page. I've got a doctor's appointment next week and I will mention this to him but I feel a little better reading about other guys who have noticed the possible Nyquil connection.

Blood In Semen - Symptoms Question: What other symptoms did you experience with blood in your semen?
Blood In Semen - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, did you receive after finding the cause of blood in your semen?