Patient Comments: Blood In Semen - Cause

What was the underlying cause of blood in your semen?

Comment from: Rwd7936, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 04

I am 49 years old and I have had blood in my semen a total of 4 times over the past 7 years. Of course the first time freaked me out, as I am sure it would anyone, but there was never any real pain. However about two years ago, after it happened again, the blood that clots in my system after pushed through when I urinated. The pain was almost unbearable and I almost passed out, and for the next few days, every time I urinated, it was very painful. I had blood in my semen again the other day and I was afraid to urinate. I decided to wait, but when I finally did, the clot clogged me up. It finally came out with just a little pain, but I count myself very lucky. But the main reason I am writing this is because I noticed that this usually happens after I take medications that make me sleep, like Nyquil or sleeping pills. Has anyone else experienced this? I also need to add that when this happens, my semen I blood red.

Comment from: SF, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I am 51 years old and have had blood in my semen since I was in my early 20's. The first few times it's a shocker, but after many tests like others here described my urologist basically said "some people are prone to bloody noses; you will occasionally have blood in your semen". Happens every 1.5-2 years. When it does I get a 2 week supply of Leviquin, abstain for 2-3 weeks, and all is good. I find if I don't wait the 2-3 weeks it takes longer to heal. Good luck everyone. Don't freak out-- and hopefully you have an understanding partner.

Comment from: xtophr, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 08

I am 43 and have had five ejaculations where blood was present in my semen. The first time that this happened to me I was 18 or 20. Years passed and then it happened again. The last two times were approximately four months apart. The occasions are always single ejaculations that appear as if they are entirely blood. Subsequent ejaculations are less bloody until the blood disappears entirely after a few days. My doctors have been puzzled and have found nothing. My PSA tests are normal. I will be having an ultrasound next week.

Comment from: Angeldark, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 03

Last night after intercourse with my husband I went to the restroom to freshen up. Upon observing the semen from my husband's ejaculation, I noticed tiny specs of what appeared to be blood, present in the semen. I was in shock and confused as I have never even heard of this or any condition that would cause this. We have gone through a separation of an entire year and have recently re-united in order to try and save our marriage. I know that my husband has had one or more sexual partners during my absence. I am alarmed at this occurrence and afraid for his and my own health. I found this page and was overwhelmed by the possible existing health issues. He has been diagnosed with diabetes and high blood pressure. He is on medications for both. I plan to discuss this further with him and have him bring it to his Drs. attention. I will keep you all updated on any testing or further discoveries concerning this matter.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 28

I am 40 and have been diagnosed with BPH about four years ago. I am taking medication to relax my prostate. I've had episodes of blood in my semen about six times since that diagnosis, and I relate that to my BPH. I've read that blood in semen can be a side effect of BPH, as the prostate is more sensitive and can get inflamed more than those without. It goes away in less than a week every time. It starts out as pink, then it gets brownish when it's going away, and then finally cream, the normal color. I'm hoping that my episodes "go with the territory" since I've already been diagnosed with BPH, but those that have absolutely no urination problems may have more of mystery to look into if they have pink urine.

Comment from: Gadget Man, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

Hi, Im a 59 yr old male. Ive had 2 occasions with brownish to reddish patches or clots in my semen. Both were present after taking Kava, a herbal tablet for aid to sleeping and anxiety. My PSA count is about 1.5 - 2.00. Im usually healthy and sexually active. So I will put this down to the use of Kava.

Blood In Semen - Symptoms Question: What other symptoms did you experience with blood in your semen?
Blood In Semen - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, did you receive after finding the cause of blood in your semen?