Patient Comments: Blood In Semen - Symptoms

What other symptoms did you experience with blood in your semen?

Comment from: Jackson, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 21

I'm 56 years old. I noticed I had blood in semen about 3 years ago. I went to a doctor and was diagnosed with hematospermia. I also had other unbearable symptoms like urinary frequency and urgency, burning when urinating, pain during ejaculation, and decreased libido. I took several course of antibiotics, but only got temporary relief and the symptoms recurred weeks later. Because of the antibiotic resistance developed after a long term use of antibiotics, I had to change my medications constantly, which made the condition even worse. To ensure a safe and long lasting treatment, I tried a natural remedy called diuretic anti-inflammatory pill. During the treatment, I didn't feel any side effects and the symptoms disappeared gradually by taking 3 month medication. Now, everything goes well, it's really bad memories.

Comment from: Rocky, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

I had a vasectomy at age 30 and a vasectomy reversal at age 45. Blood began appearing in my semen fairly regularly and several times a year I would notice something resembling a blood clot in the toilet after urinating. I am now 60 and notice blood stains on my underwear the day after having sex. Prostate is fine and I have seen several urologists and been on antibiotics but they can find nothing wrong. No pain at all but very frustrating.

Comment from: Shorty, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 01

I have light burning during urinating, medium pain during ejaculations and blood in semen. I also have swelling of my legs; left foot is swollen much more than the right foot.

Comment from: Peter, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

I first noticed blood in my semen about 6 years ago. I went to see a urologist right away. He put me on antibiotics and asked me to refrain from coffee for two months but that did not help. What has helped was eating large amounts of pomegranates. I discovered it by chance within the first year of my symptoms. For the next five years I've been mostly blood free as long as I stuck to my pomegranate diet. When pomegranates were out of season blood in semen returned. Things got worse in the past five months when blood in semen started appearing again in large quantities despite my eating the fruit. Accidentally or not that coincides with me going through divorce and thus having extra stress but no sex life. I still masturbate 2 to 3 times a week but that does not seem to help. I'd be curious to hear anybody else finding connection between particular fruit/diet or supplement and blood in semen.

Comment from: Tom, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 14

After noticing blood in what I presumed to be semen, I went to the doctor who referred me for investigation, my bladder was clear but my left kidney showed enlargement. After a CT scan my left kidney was removed and a 40 mm tumor grade 2 discovered. I have recovered well but still have blood in my semen. Lucky me!

Comment from: Nick, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I experienced this blood in sperm personally. It is very distressing to see the blood, regardless of little or much, brown or red. I went to the urologist and the doctor gave me some antibiotic and some medicine for prostate enlargement. Upon completion of all the medicine, I still see some brownish blood. Then I stumbled over some other site on this hematospermia and a few people have suggested it was dehydration caused by lack of drinking water. I looked at my own life style, indeed it was so. After regular intake of water, I found that the blood disappeared completely. Don't be frightened, drink more water and it will go away.

Blood In Semen - Cause Question: What was the underlying cause of blood in your semen?
Blood In Semen - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, did you receive after finding the cause of blood in your semen?