Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with blood clots.

Comment from: KATE, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

For the past few months, I have been prone to sweating to the point where I am soaked in sweat. Right now I have severe pain in both legs, and one leg where it is swollen and told I had a blood clot, but not to worry about it. My feet were swollen but doctor said to take water pills and keep my feet up; and they are no longer swollen but my legs still hurt to the point where walking is very, very painful.

Comment from: troubles, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

On December 21, I woke up and had bad chest pain. A week prior to this happening, I was so tired, more than usual and I thought then something was not right. But I went on, and at 2:30 am on December 22 I woke up my other half and said I think I am having a heart attack. He asked me if I wanted to go to the emergency room (ER). I said no, and lay back down and went to sleep. I got up in the morning of 12/22/14 and in my left hand, two of my fingers were blue. So I went to my doctors and she sent me to the ER. I got a CAT scan done and blood work. Then I hear that a helicopter is landing. Well, it was for me, I had a blood clot, a big one in my heart and my left arm was not getting any blood. So, I got transferred to a different hospital 45 minutes away from home. I was in ICU and was to have open heart surgery on 12/24/14. Doctor told my other half that I might not get to keep my arm. I woke up on Christmas Eve and I was still there. No surgery. I had big blood clot in heart and hundreds in left arm all the way into my fingers. I was in there one week. I am out and doing better now. I have been having problems breathing in deep, and my heart hurts now. I go to the heart doctor tomorrow. I am hoping there will be no surgery. But the blood clot could have done some damage to my heart. So I hope all is going to be ok, I am so ready to put this behind me.

Comment from: BAMaustin, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 10

My symptoms began about 5 minutes into lawn work with a push mower. I was far more exhausted than I would expect to be after finishing an hour's worth of pushing. Out of breath, sweaty, legs growing heavier with each step, and achy in the lower body, I was unable to finish the 10 minutes needed for one side of the small front lawn section. I sat to re-hydrate and recover but pain became agonizing in my lower back. Panting, I lay down thinking I must have twisted my back. But the pain quickly escalated to an indescribable level. After a few minutes, I phoned a friend to help me to the emergency room (ER). Lying prone wasn't helping so I struggled to a chair on my front porch to wait. The pain eased somewhat but I realized that I wouldn't be able to get myself all the way to a car and called 911. When paramedics arrived a few minutes later, my legs immediately collapsed when asked to try to rise to the gurney. The only measureable symptom the ER staff found was a fainter pulse in the right foot than the left. They were resistant to sitting aggravating the pain less than lying inclined or prone. They insisted the leg weakness and pain were exaggerated until an MRI revealed large arterial blood clots (one in either leg and another in the lower back) several hours later. The clots were removed surgically the following day through either femoral artery. There is a significant amount of nerve damage from the reduced blood flow but I recovered the ability to walk with physical therapy and walking aids. I graduated from wheelchair, to walker, to cane, to needing only occasional assistance over about 24 months. Three years on, the neuropathy in both feet and L4/L5 areas persist but seem to be gradually improving. I am hopeful that the last areas of dysfunction will eventually recover.

Comment from: oldswordfighter, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

Several health issues limit my activity which was the probable actual cause for my blood clots. A backflip into a post when a deck failed made me assume that the pain in my legs and feet swelling was just another back injury. But after six weeks I was watching TV when a huge pain in my chest took over. I called a neighbor who called 911. Four surgical procedures later I was released and recovered much faster than the doctors expected. Obviously it nearly killed me.

Comment from: Eddie B, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 01

I had been tired for several weeks thinking it was connected to my sleep apnea which I had been struggling with. Post knee replacement in February 2014, I worked hard at recovery. In May I continued to struggle with insomnia and my CPAP machine, but on July 25 my chest was tight and it was an effort to breathe. At the emergency room (ER) I was given EKG, blood work-up, chest x-ray and a CT. A pulmonary embolism in each lung was found. I was started on Lovenox that day and spent the night, being released the next day with a 60 day supply of Lovenox. My doctor feels the blood clot is not related to knee surgery due to the length of time since surgery. He feels that a clot can be caused by a cancer and will coordinate tests to rule this out. I have many questions yet unanswered. My feeling is it could be related to my inactivity from knee problems and sleep issues.

Blood Clots - Causes Question: What was the cause of your blood clot?
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?