Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with blood clots.

Comment from: weird shoulder pain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I started to have problems lying down flat on my back. I have had a very bad back for most of my adult life. The pain I was having in my shoulder was very different. I went to my regular doctor and he said it was a pulled muscle. I tried to tell my doctor that I have pulled muscles before and this was different. It only hurt when I laid down flat on my back. He just shrugged and said he wanted me to give it some time to go away on its own. It didn"t, the pain got so bad I could not lay down in bed to sleep any more. I did research online and I found some articles that suggested I see a vascular surgeon. I made an appointment with one for as soon as I could. Three days before my appointment two of my fingers turned blue on the arm I had been having shoulder pain. It only lasted a few minutes but still I ran into my doctor. He blamed it on a vascular problem I had had for years called Raynaud's syndrome. I tried to explain that it was not the same. He brushed off my concerns. Three days later I was so happy to go to my appointment with the vascular surgeon. On the way there my two fingers turned blue again and they stayed that way longer. I got in to see him pretty fast. He was only in the exam room for 3 minutes tops, when he told me he was admitting me right away for emergency surgery to save my left hand. He said I had a blood clot in my shoulder and it was cutting off the supply of blood to my hand.

Comment from: Heath166, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I am 47. I had a very sore right calf. It was very tight. I went to the doctor and she thought I might have a blood clot. I went to the local hospital who performed an ultrasound and found a blood clot. I have been on Xarelto for nearly 3 months now. I am having a follow up ultrasound this week. I am hoping the blood clot has gone.

Comment from: melanie21, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

During surgery for a cardio ablation in February 2014, it was discovered that I have an old blood clot in my left pelvis. This was likely caused during a month of bed-rest while I was pregnant back in June 2012. I have been told to be on a daily aspirin regiment of 325 mg. The doctor said that there is nothing else that they can or need to do. He said that the clot is old and hasn"t moved yet, so it won"t move. I wonder if there is risk for a pulmonary embolism. I haven"t found any sources that discuss old clots and how they should be treated.

Comment from: mlc1123, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I had a second rotator cuff full-thickness tear repair in Feb 2014, having had the first shoulder done in January 2012. Nine days later I awakened to extreme shortness of breath and chest pain. Blood tests, EKG, chest x-ray and finally CT scan diagnosed multiple pulmonary emboli in both lungs. I was hospitalized for 5 days with heparin drip and released on 15 mg Xarelto twice daily for 21 days, then 20 mg daily for one year. So far I am doing okay, but have been advised against air travel and any further surgery without pre-medication. I cannot understand what it is about limited activity after surgery that makes for a higher risk factor than other limited activity. What about people permanently impaired, in bed or wheelchairs, are they at risk also? And why is your risk factor higher for the rest of your life? Also curious about why this didn"t happen with the same surgery two years ago. My secondary diagnosis is pulmonary hypertension, but that will be investigated further after I am fully recovered from the clots.

Comment from: Steve, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

I was 54 and returning from a two day road trip. A few days later I began to deal with pain in left leg and hip. I had a weird rash from head to toe and was soon hospitalized with a massive clot from my left knee to my kidney. I underwent two operations with three permanent stents. I was diagnosed with May-Thurner syndrome and am on Coumadin and several other medications for life. This was this past August. Life has really changed it seems every day brings new disappointment and bad news! Just trying to keep up now.

Comment from: ziba, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I had a surgery 5 days ago for removing uterus. After 3 to 4 days I found some blood clots in several places on my right leg. I could not walk well. I have had an MRI test. I am still under treatment.

Blood Clots - Causes Question: What was the cause of your blood clot?
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?