Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with blood clots.

Comment from: Abr91117, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I had a 10 hour surgery to remove a large brain tumor. A month later I woke up with my left really swollen, purple and tight. I went to the emergency room (ER) and they said I had a blood clot from my knee all the way to my groin. It was big! They inserted an IVC (inferior vena cava) filter in case the blood clot broke up which was highly likely. Two weeks later I experienced this really, really sharp pain in my back. It was so sharp that I couldn't breathe. I went back to the ER and I had a pulmonary embolism in each lung. The blood clot in my leg had already broken off before the filter was inserted. After several blood tests and scans, I was diagnosed with May-Thurner syndrome and I have factor V Leiden thrombophilia which is an inherited disorder of blood clotting. I have to remain on Coumadin the rest of my life. Good news! That was a year ago and today all my clots are healed.

Comment from: burth, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 15

I went for an operation on my right groin because they said my vein was blocked. The cause of was blood clot so they put me on warfarin tablets. After operation I get cramps in both my legs at the calves and toes while taking my warfarin tablets. I left taking the tablets for two months and I still get the same pain and cramps so I wonder if I have blood clots.

Comment from: Corina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I had pain in my left leg and some numbness in my left toes for about a week. I went to the doctor who told me I had a pulled hamstring, a sprained ankle and tendonitis in my knee. She sent me for an x-ray of my ankle and referred me to an orthopedic doctor. I went to see the orthopedic doctor who referred me back to my primary care (PC) doctor because he said he thought I had a blood clot and that my problem was not orthopedic. I called the PC back and went in. I was seen by the nurse practitioner who prescribed a muscle relaxer and said I had a pulled muscle. Two days later the pain was so bad I went to the emergency room where I was told I had a blood clot. I was admitted immediately and had an angiogram the following morning. They did a bypass behind my knee because I had a blood clot that was 10 cm. Within 8 hours I was back in surgery with another blood clot in my left leg, within 1 hour after that I had another and then another. I was allergic to the heparin that was being given in my IV. I have been on 2 blood thinners (warfarin and Plavix) since then. I have limited use of my left leg and limited range of motion in my left ankle. My leg feels like it is dead from my toes to my groin, and I still have an open wound on my calf. I also have nerve damage in my left leg which was probably caused by multiple surgeries in the same place. I am in constant pain all day long and still have lots of swelling which starts within 20 minutes of getting out of bed. I still have no answers if this will get any better. I was told by the vascular surgeon that he has never had a case with someone who was allergic to heparin so he is not sure. Thanks for the lack of information, I really appreciate it. Now I am told that my blood flow just above my groin is too fast and I still don't know why but they want to do another surgery. I said no surgery till all questions are answered and my left leg has healed from the first 4 surgeries which were done almost 6 months ago. No answers as of yet.

Comment from: KATE, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

For the past few months, I have been prone to sweating to the point where I am soaked in sweat. Right now I have severe pain in both legs, and one leg where it is swollen and told I had a blood clot, but not to worry about it. My feet were swollen but doctor said to take water pills and keep my feet up; and they are no longer swollen but my legs still hurt to the point where walking is very, very painful.

Comment from: troubles, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

On December 21, I woke up and had bad chest pain. A week prior to this happening, I was so tired, more than usual and I thought then something was not right. But I went on, and at 2:30 am on December 22 I woke up my other half and said I think I am having a heart attack. He asked me if I wanted to go to the emergency room (ER). I said no, and lay back down and went to sleep. I got up in the morning of 12/22/14 and in my left hand, two of my fingers were blue. So I went to my doctors and she sent me to the ER. I got a CAT scan done and blood work. Then I hear that a helicopter is landing. Well, it was for me, I had a blood clot, a big one in my heart and my left arm was not getting any blood. So, I got transferred to a different hospital 45 minutes away from home. I was in ICU and was to have open heart surgery on 12/24/14. Doctor told my other half that I might not get to keep my arm. I woke up on Christmas Eve and I was still there. No surgery. I had big blood clot in heart and hundreds in left arm all the way into my fingers. I was in there one week. I am out and doing better now. I have been having problems breathing in deep, and my heart hurts now. I go to the heart doctor tomorrow. I am hoping there will be no surgery. But the blood clot could have done some damage to my heart. So I hope all is going to be ok, I am so ready to put this behind me.

Blood Clots - Causes Question: What was the cause of your blood clot?
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?