Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with blood clots.

Comment from: lyn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I woke up with a leg cramp at 2 am in the morning, it sort of went away but I had a constant tightness in the calf and it was still sore for about 8 days after. I went for a 4 hour drive to my dad's then another half hour to my girlfriends place, stayed the night there, woke up in the morning to find I could not walk, could not put pressure on my foot, could not move my leg or foot without being in extreme pain, instead of it being a 10 it was like a 14, unbelievable. It settled after a couple of hours and I was able to walk on it again but only just with support. I drove back home and found when I could not get out of the car and walk I needed to go to the hospital. My leg was cold, it was swollen, and very painful. Nothing like they say being hot. Anyway I was diagnosed with a 10 cm deep vein thrombosis in my calf. Lucky they say to be still here and since then I've been having five needles daily to stop any other blood clot forming, and this one going into my lungs, now on warfarin for about 9 months. I have support stocking on my leg from tip of toe to up over my thigh. I cannot work on it as yet, it feels like my leg is dying from my toe up, it is such a sickening feeling and not sure what to do about it.

Comment from: Jack, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I felt pain in my calf for two weeks before it got so severe that I couldn't stand it. I went to the doctor's office as a walk-in on Saturday in mid-December. Doctor on call said to go home but check in to the emergency room (ER) if it got worse. I had vein Doppler test done Monday at noon. Blood clot was confirmed and I started thinners that evening. I saw hematologist later that week who approved of treatment started by primary physician and doctor on call. I was put on bed rest from that Monday until after the holidays. Follow up confirmed treatment was working and he asked me to return in 4 months for continuing next phase of treatment.

Comment from: weird shoulder pain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I started to have problems lying down flat on my back. I have had a very bad back for most of my adult life. The pain I was having in my shoulder was very different. I went to my regular doctor and he said it was a pulled muscle. I tried to tell my doctor that I have pulled muscles before and this was different. It only hurt when I laid down flat on my back. He just shrugged and said he wanted me to give it some time to go away on its own. It didn"t, the pain got so bad I could not lay down in bed to sleep any more. I did research online and I found some articles that suggested I see a vascular surgeon. I made an appointment with one for as soon as I could. Three days before my appointment two of my fingers turned blue on the arm I had been having shoulder pain. It only lasted a few minutes but still I ran into my doctor. He blamed it on a vascular problem I had had for years called Raynaud's syndrome. I tried to explain that it was not the same. He brushed off my concerns. Three days later I was so happy to go to my appointment with the vascular surgeon. On the way there my two fingers turned blue again and they stayed that way longer. I got in to see him pretty fast. He was only in the exam room for 3 minutes tops, when he told me he was admitting me right away for emergency surgery to save my left hand. He said I had a blood clot in my shoulder and it was cutting off the supply of blood to my hand.

Comment from: Heath166, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I am 47. I had a very sore right calf. It was very tight. I went to the doctor and she thought I might have a blood clot. I went to the local hospital who performed an ultrasound and found a blood clot. I have been on Xarelto for nearly 3 months now. I am having a follow up ultrasound this week. I am hoping the blood clot has gone.

Comment from: melanie21, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

During surgery for a cardio ablation in February 2014, it was discovered that I have an old blood clot in my left pelvis. This was likely caused during a month of bed-rest while I was pregnant back in June 2012. I have been told to be on a daily aspirin regiment of 325 mg. The doctor said that there is nothing else that they can or need to do. He said that the clot is old and hasn"t moved yet, so it won"t move. I wonder if there is risk for a pulmonary embolism. I haven"t found any sources that discuss old clots and how they should be treated.

Comment from: Mad, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had a clot in each leg in the past ten years and then last year I had clots on the lungs. I just found out the other day I got 3 more clots in the leg. I want to get the screens because I can"t live like this anymore.

Blood Clots - Causes Question: What was the cause of your blood clot?
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?