Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with blood clots.

Comment from: MR, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: July 31

My 81 year old father developed a blood clot in his right leg in January. He was hospitalized and put on blood thinners being monitored weekly for levels. Following a routine colonoscopy in March, he became weaker, and developed headaches. After a CT scan, he was diagnosed with two blood clots on each side of the brain late in March. They inserted the filter in his abdomen to catch further clots, and had surgery which involved 4 buhr holes. He recooperated, with routine CT scans, and in June was diagnosed with yet another blot clot on the brain and bleeding. Following surgery, he developed seizures, weakness on the right side, and slurred speech. All have subsided, and he continues to recover in the hospital, however his hemoglobin levels have fluctuated between 8.9 and 10.4, and is very tired. We're told this is normal. He is not on any blood thinners.

Comment from: ptg, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

The day before my "attack" I was extremely tired and had difficulty walking a short distance. The next evening I developed an excruciating pain in the right side of my chest which I thought to be a heart attack. I was diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism and, after tests, eventually prescribed warfarin, which I will be taking from now on. The reason for the blood clot was probably due to an irregular heartbeat and originated in my leg.

Comment from: Giani, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 29

I had severe pain in my left arm. Pain increased with every movement of left hand or arm. Felt some relief in the sun or when arm was kept warm. Pain killers became ineffective after a few days. Ultimately a block was diagnosed near my throat. While operating it was discovered that the clotting started from very near to heart up to throat and blood in left arm was totally blocked while supply to the brain continued. The block was cleared by Operation. There was again pain in left arm. Again a block was diagnosed in left arm. This time operation was ruled out. It was managed with drugs to generate new blood vessels. Slowly blood supply was just sufficient for my arm to perform daily routine though limited to around 30%. I don't know when and where it is going to hit again.

Comment from: lee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

My blood clot hit me when I was in the shower, I could not get to the phone and it was 3 hours before I was found. When I was at the hospital I could not tell the staff my history. I had had a heart attack 5 years earlier it was a blood clot also, to cut the story short I am now a disabled person and the cause has been found. I have an inherited blood condition. Gene 2 Factor V Leiden mutation. G1691A.Our family has 50% that has this mutation and all have been tested. I think every woman should be tested as the risk is very high for woman when having children.

Blood Clots - Causes Question: What was the cause of your blood clot?
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?