Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with blood clots.

Comment from: nlmartinez, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I had my knee replaced three years ago, and I got an infection in it, so I was in the hospital for two months. It was then that I got a deep-vein blood clot. I have been on Lovenox ever since; I give myself a shot every day.

Comment from: Liz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

After a second ACL replacement on the same knee I mentioned to the physicians assistant how white my leg was when the bandage was cut off. After the first surgery there was a lot of bruising. 20 minutes after removal of the bandage I had a stroke. The clot snuck through a pfo or hole in the septum of my heart. Luckily for me I was close to Hartford Hospital where they were able to use the Merci procedure to break up the rather large clot.

Comment from: angle4u28, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I had pain in my shoulder and mid back for about three days. One night, the pain got worse, and I was short of breath. I went to the hospital, and they found the blood clot in my right lung. They are still trying to figure out why I got one. I am not high risk for a blood clot.

Comment from: Bobbie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

In my experiences with blood clots in the leg, the first symptom was pain in my leg that felt like a strained muscle. When I had pulmonary thrombosis, the first symptom was pain in the left rib area that worsened when I took a breath.

Comment from: obrien, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I had my first pulmonary emboli at aged 22 I am now 37 and have had in total 4 clots in the lungs even though I have been on Warfarin and Innohep injections for over 14 years. I'm still undergoing investigation as to where the underlying problem is. I am hoping to discuss the solution of a filter being fitted due to the ongoing problems that can be faced when on long term anti-coagulants.

Comment from: sugdaro2005, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I woke up one morning and my left arm was swollen to my finger tips. I got scared and went to the ER. This past March I had a defibrillator/pacemaker put in. So 2 weeks ago, my left arm swelled up, and they said it was a blood clot, they put me on warfarin, and they are monitoring me at my doctor's office. I didn't have a fever, but my oxygen level was down.

Comment from: forgio, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I recently received a steroid injection in my right foot and within 3 days was in the hospital with several bi-lateral PE in my lungs. I can't help but wonder if this injection may have caused my PE's. I never had a steroid injection before this. I am currently taking Warfarin and will be on it for the rest of my life because they could not confirm where the blood clot came from.

Comment from: Jim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

I first experienced my blood clot as muscle soreness in my inner thigh, and then my calf and behind the knee. What made the soreness unusual was that the site of the soreness seemed to move around in my calf and up to behind my knee and back down to the calf again. My calf then started to swell. I ignored these symptoms because I had recently had a painful knee bruise, and figured the soreness and swellings were due to the knee injury. I also developed a light fever of around 100-100.6 degrees which would come and go. I still did not consult a doctor, because I was also dealing with having my hyperthyroidism treated, and wondered if these signs were all symptoms of my thyroid slowing down. The symptoms did not go away after two-three weeks, and I finally saw my doctor. He sent me to get a Doppler ultrasound of my leg, and sure enough, I had a very large blood clot extending from my upper thigh through to my calf. I spent three days in the hospital being treated with Lovenox and Coumadin, and was told by the treating hematologist that I was very lucky that I had not had a pulmonary embolism. I am still on Coumadin and am undergoing tests to determine a possible cause to the blood clot.

Blood Clots - Causes Question: What was the cause of your blood clot?
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?