Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with blood clots.

Comment from: Nzinga, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 06

my brother was involved in a motorcycle accident. He broke his pelvis both sockets replaced thigh bone leg ankle foot. Titanium plates and rods put in the broken parts mentioned. By not being mobile a blood clot developed in his upper rt thigh. This leg was in a cast, and as the blood clot became obvious the leg in the cast became tight. The cast had to be replaced with a loser one. he has been on blood thinners. But becoming able to move is crucial, but this clot situation has to be resolved.

Comment from: troutfisher, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I have been on Coumadin (warfarin) and was getting ready for a defibrillator, A.V. node ablation. I had a small stroke last Thurs. night and was rushed to hospital. After finding my protime no. to be right they further experimented and found I have Lupus anticoagulin disorder. Now on Lovenox shots. I understand I do not go in for pro time analysis. I read info on Lovenox and says don't mix with aspirin but they have me on low dose aspirin also?

Comment from: Anna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I fell on the stairs of my home. I didn't really hit or bruise my arm, just extended it to prevent my fall. The next day my arm was sore. I thought I pulled a muscle. The next day the soreness was worse. On the 3rd day I could hardly move my arm. On the 4th day I could not comb my hair, it was very painful and swelling. It had redness and was hot to the touch. Finally, I went to the doctor. I had a sonogram and it determined I had a clot. The doctor wanted me in the hospital, but my husband could not be left alone. I gave my self shots of Loveonox prescribed by doctor at home. I later had a clot in other arm and behind my left knee. The Lovenox worked and I am still taking a pill and a half a day of Coumadin. Blood work weekly to keep check on thickness of my blood. Hopefully can get answers why I had the clots. Have not been sick or to a doctor in 3 or 4 years.

Comment from: NickieA71, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I was recently diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism. I don't have any of the risk factors and they don't know what caused it. I suffer from chronic resistant migraines, though the doctors don't think this has anything to do with the PE. I was prescribed Lovenox in the hospital and will continue taking it for six months as I may become pregnant because I am not on birth control. Lovenox is apparently okay during pregnancy, warfarin is not.

Comment from: river rat 46, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

My lower right calf muscle felt sore. After about two weeks I began having bad pain in my chest especially when I coughed. This kept getting worse and I thought I was having a heart attack so I went to my doctor. I was not able to get a good breath and thought I would smother and also had intense pain in the left shoulder. My left arm didn't have any strength. I had a DVT with a pulmonary embolism in each lung. I have been on warfarin since December 2nd. I am getting a blood test next month and I might not have to take it any longer.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

When I was 12 years old I got a D.V.T in my left groin area the cause was unknown to the doctors and they did so many tests it was very scary. The only conclusion they could come to was a long car ride I had taken a week before. Now when you have a D.V.T too you are supposed to be in bed no walking well they allowed me to and it moved to my lungs I had to take Coumadin for 6 months and give myself shots in the stomach for a week.

Comment from: happymom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

At the age of 27 I gave birth to a healthy baby girl. A few hours after giving birth I started to have a really bad headache, I mentioned it to the nurse and she said it was from the epidural I had received so I let it go. 2 days later I couldn't even open my left eye from the pain being so bad. I decided to go to the emergency room where the doctor said it was just because I wasn't getting enough sleep. 10 days later the left side of my head was still hurting, now along with the left side of my neck. My husband noticed I was now crying, vomiting and in severe pain, he decided to call 911. When I arrived to the emergency room they ran some MRI's and CT scan, finally I had an answer, I had a cerebral blood clot along with a blood clot in my jugular. I was given heparin, lovenox and Coumadin in that order. I'm very thankful to be alive even though I do have some permanent damage.

Blood Clots - Causes Question: What was the cause of your blood clot?
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?