Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with blood clots.

Comment from: obrien, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I had my first pulmonary emboli at aged 22 I am now 37 and have had in total 4 clots in the lungs even though I have been on Warfarin and Innohep injections for over 14 years. I'm still undergoing investigation as to where the underlying problem is. I am hoping to discuss the solution of a filter being fitted due to the ongoing problems that can be faced when on long term anti-coagulants.

Comment from: sugdaro2005, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I woke up one morning and my left arm was swollen to my finger tips. I got scared and went to the ER. This past March I had a defibrillator/pacemaker put in. So 2 weeks ago, my left arm swelled up, and they said it was a blood clot, they put me on warfarin, and they are monitoring me at my doctor's office. I didn't have a fever, but my oxygen level was down.

Comment from: forgio, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I recently received a steroid injection in my right foot and within 3 days was in the hospital with several bi-lateral PE in my lungs. I can't help but wonder if this injection may have caused my PE's. I never had a steroid injection before this. I am currently taking Warfarin and will be on it for the rest of my life because they could not confirm where the blood clot came from.

Comment from: Jim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

I first experienced my blood clot as muscle soreness in my inner thigh, and then my calf and behind the knee. What made the soreness unusual was that the site of the soreness seemed to move around in my calf and up to behind my knee and back down to the calf again. My calf then started to swell. I ignored these symptoms because I had recently had a painful knee bruise, and figured the soreness and swellings were due to the knee injury. I also developed a light fever of around 100-100.6 degrees which would come and go. I still did not consult a doctor, because I was also dealing with having my hyperthyroidism treated, and wondered if these signs were all symptoms of my thyroid slowing down. The symptoms did not go away after two-three weeks, and I finally saw my doctor. He sent me to get a Doppler ultrasound of my leg, and sure enough, I had a very large blood clot extending from my upper thigh through to my calf. I spent three days in the hospital being treated with Lovenox and Coumadin, and was told by the treating hematologist that I was very lucky that I had not had a pulmonary embolism. I am still on Coumadin and am undergoing tests to determine a possible cause to the blood clot.

Comment from: MR, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: July 31

My 81 year old father developed a blood clot in his right leg in January. He was hospitalized and put on blood thinners being monitored weekly for levels. Following a routine colonoscopy in March, he became weaker, and developed headaches. After a CT scan, he was diagnosed with two blood clots on each side of the brain late in March. They inserted the filter in his abdomen to catch further clots, and had surgery which involved 4 buhr holes. He recooperated, with routine CT scans, and in June was diagnosed with yet another blot clot on the brain and bleeding. Following surgery, he developed seizures, weakness on the right side, and slurred speech. All have subsided, and he continues to recover in the hospital, however his hemoglobin levels have fluctuated between 8.9 and 10.4, and is very tired. We're told this is normal. He is not on any blood thinners.

Comment from: ptg, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

The day before my "attack" I was extremely tired and had difficulty walking a short distance. The next evening I developed an excruciating pain in the right side of my chest which I thought to be a heart attack. I was diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism and, after tests, eventually prescribed warfarin, which I will be taking from now on. The reason for the blood clot was probably due to an irregular heartbeat and originated in my leg.

Comment from: Giani, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 29

I had severe pain in my left arm. Pain increased with every movement of left hand or arm. Felt some relief in the sun or when arm was kept warm. Pain killers became ineffective after a few days. Ultimately a block was diagnosed near my throat. While operating it was discovered that the clotting started from very near to heart up to throat and blood in left arm was totally blocked while supply to the brain continued. The block was cleared by Operation. There was again pain in left arm. Again a block was diagnosed in left arm. This time operation was ruled out. It was managed with drugs to generate new blood vessels. Slowly blood supply was just sufficient for my arm to perform daily routine though limited to around 30%. I don't know when and where it is going to hit again.

Blood Clots - Causes Question: What was the cause of your blood clot?
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?