Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with blood clots.

Comment from: Rick, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

Well when i first found out about my clots I didn't have any pain or any sign's of a problem until that night i started having a problem catching my breath and dizziness and so i called an ambulance and they did a C/T Scan and found I had 5 small clots and 2 Large one's in my left lung and 2 in my heart and they was big clots in my heart thank god. I didn't smoke any more and was in good shape or I might not be here today and they did a procedure with ultrasound and drugs and broke-up all the clots and now I'm on 38 Mg of Coumadin a week forever. We still don't really know why I got so many with no warning ..... they think it was just in my blood line... well I hope this helps someone.

Comment from: Baje, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 12

My friend is on the blood thinner warfarin. This is the third time his medication has increased and still his blood is thick. He never had a clot in his leg but somewhere in is lungs.

Comment from: awbsmom, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I am 24 and had my second child Sept. 12th. Got home from the hospital and felt great. On the 22nd I had extreme pain in my inner thigh brushed it off as nothing. On the 24th I noticed my entire left leg including calf was swollen. Went to the ER and I had a blood clot. I am 24 and have a new baby and a 4yr old to take care of. It is a serious situation and I do feel like an elderly person who can't move. I have a new found respect for these serious situations.

Comment from: Reesa Long, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I had been donating plasma for almost 3 weeks when i went in one day to donate they started my cycle and my blood was not moving. They thought it was just thick and so they disconnected the tube and ran the blood out. It was clotted. The moved the needle to my other arm and blood started to flow but very slowly. When the cycle started to replace my blood my other arm clotted. I have no idea why my blood is clotting but it is pretty scary.

Comment from: karlyg, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I had severe pain in the lower left rib cage area and in both arms and shoulders. It wasn't taken too seriously until I also exhibited shortness of breath. The emergency-room doctor told me I had several blood clots -- most of them in my right lung, but none were found elsewhere. I am being treated with 5 mg of Coumadin daily.

Comment from: nlmartinez, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I had my knee replaced three years ago, and I got an infection in it, so I was in the hospital for two months. It was then that I got a deep-vein blood clot. I have been on Lovenox ever since; I give myself a shot every day.

Comment from: Liz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

After a second ACL replacement on the same knee I mentioned to the physicians assistant how white my leg was when the bandage was cut off. After the first surgery there was a lot of bruising. 20 minutes after removal of the bandage I had a stroke. The clot snuck through a pfo or hole in the septum of my heart. Luckily for me I was close to Hartford Hospital where they were able to use the Merci procedure to break up the rather large clot.

Comment from: angle4u28, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I had pain in my shoulder and mid back for about three days. One night, the pain got worse, and I was short of breath. I went to the hospital, and they found the blood clot in my right lung. They are still trying to figure out why I got one. I am not high risk for a blood clot.

Comment from: Bobbie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

In my experiences with blood clots in the leg, the first symptom was pain in my leg that felt like a strained muscle. When I had pulmonary thrombosis, the first symptom was pain in the left rib area that worsened when I took a breath.

Blood Clots - Causes Question: What was the cause of your blood clot?
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?