Patient Comments: Blood Clots - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with blood clots.

Comment from: arbutusrru, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I had a sudden onset of shortness of breath. I have had asthma since I was a kid, but it has always been under control. I went to emergency after five days of this, and I was diagnosed with pulmonary embolism.

Comment from: jacko, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I had an atrial flutter with pacemaker and on therapeutic warfarin and bisoprolol. In for cystoscopy and biopsy but the urologist insisted on, leaving me off warfarin for a total of 11 days, despite my voiced concern. Six days after the cystoscopy, I had a massive brachial embolism, which was reversed by prompt surgery. Moral: don't assume these specialist teams always know what the results of their activities might be.

Comment from: sierragal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

At 54 I had a knee surgery and was up and getting around doing fine 5 days after the surgery. I had pressure in my knee and pain traveling up my body to my back then it felt like a arrow shot in the back. This happened 10 times for about four day till both lungs collapsed then was taken to the hospital. Hospital stay for 12 days where I had three more embolisms. I lost my left lung very painful. My sister has the same thing happen to her but she is paralyzed now and will never walk again .

Comment from: Rick, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

Well when i first found out about my clots I didn't have any pain or any sign's of a problem until that night i started having a problem catching my breath and dizziness and so i called an ambulance and they did a C/T Scan and found I had 5 small clots and 2 Large one's in my left lung and 2 in my heart and they was big clots in my heart thank god. I didn't smoke any more and was in good shape or I might not be here today and they did a procedure with ultrasound and drugs and broke-up all the clots and now I'm on 38 Mg of Coumadin a week forever. We still don't really know why I got so many with no warning ..... they think it was just in my blood line... well I hope this helps someone.

Comment from: Baje, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 12

My friend is on the blood thinner warfarin. This is the third time his medication has increased and still his blood is thick. He never had a clot in his leg but somewhere in is lungs.

Comment from: awbsmom, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I am 24 and had my second child Sept. 12th. Got home from the hospital and felt great. On the 22nd I had extreme pain in my inner thigh brushed it off as nothing. On the 24th I noticed my entire left leg including calf was swollen. Went to the ER and I had a blood clot. I am 24 and have a new baby and a 4yr old to take care of. It is a serious situation and I do feel like an elderly person who can't move. I have a new found respect for these serious situations.

Comment from: Reesa Long, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I had been donating plasma for almost 3 weeks when i went in one day to donate they started my cycle and my blood was not moving. They thought it was just thick and so they disconnected the tube and ran the blood out. It was clotted. The moved the needle to my other arm and blood started to flow but very slowly. When the cycle started to replace my blood my other arm clotted. I have no idea why my blood is clotting but it is pretty scary.

Comment from: karlyg, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I had severe pain in the lower left rib cage area and in both arms and shoulders. It wasn't taken too seriously until I also exhibited shortness of breath. The emergency-room doctor told me I had several blood clots -- most of them in my right lung, but none were found elsewhere. I am being treated with 5 mg of Coumadin daily.

Blood Clots - Causes Question: What was the cause of your blood clot?
Blood Clots - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?
Blood Clots - In Leg Question: What were the complications of your blood clot?